Sounds like Crews has the job

HenryB

Haha. The best part about the most recent sighting of Manning (G-dub game) was right after he turned the ball over, seconds after he came into the game. I wish I had the game on record so I could make a gif (jimbo?!). They put the camera on Manning and he clearly say "Fuock Me"

I bet a lot of Mannings made the trip from Chantilly to see him Foggy Bottom out. We'll get 'em next time, Johnny. I screamed "take him out of the foucking game" at the Field House.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Developing players ---- Grandy Glaze is out there "providing energy." Every announcer on every broadcast says that followed by "SLU is undefeated ever since Grandy got into the starting lineup." But development? I don't think so. This is neither to affirm nor condemn, just saying. He certainly did not develop any of the guys above the sophomore class either in my book. But he has caretakered this ship extremely well. Over and above expectations in my book.

while many want to talk about our "success" since glaze's insertion into the starting lineup, i say total coincidence. no doubt glaze plays hard. no doubt glaze has some athleticism. but we arent looking for the wedge blocker on the rams kickoff team. we are looking for a crediable power forward. he gets rebounds, but for that matter so does barnett. i am more concerned about glaze running the offense correctly, and mainly playing textbook help defense. watch the games, at some point, glaze is done for the game. and normally it comes right after the other team figures out if they get by our outstanding top shelf guards on glaze's side of the floor, there is a great chance glaze wont be there to help. result layup. once crews knows that has been discovered, we typically have seen the last of grandy for the game. i hope that grandy figures it out. someone is going to have to give us ellis and remeken minutes next year. and the good news is that glaze has the body and athleticism worthy of working with.

it is my opinion, that our success coincides with (and skip is going to hate this) basically putting evans back at power forward on offense. the vast majority of evans points during our run, come from put backs, in the lane hooks and runners, etc. he is not playing the wing from a traditional standpoint. granted we have likely two other "bigs" in the game, but evans is pretty much working inside and doing it in an outstanding fashion. three weeks ago, i was campaigning for ellis for poy for the billikens, i change my vote to evans. not that ellis hasnt still been good, but ellis is now the dependable go to guy that seems to be carrying the team.

I think somone has already said, this is the signature hire in May's career. He can't blow it, whatever it is. This is another five years in the future. I don't want to live through another Spoon/LoRo/Brad reconstruction project when those five years are done because he takes a while of continued and extended failure to lead to the reconstruction moment and it takes another similar amount of time to reclimb the mountain doing all this old crap all over again. I want Big Dance discussions 7 out of every 10 years, or even better.

i totally agree. while crews will likely get the job if he wants it, let's just hope there is some long term thinking that goes along with this decision. i personally believe that rickma did not assemble a staff with training a heir to the throne coach, he assembled a staff to provide him with the needed information and work for him and the program to be successful. all one has to do is look at rickma's previous employers and ask, where is the successful branch from the tree? there is none. hey i am not saying that as a knock on rickma. i am only saying his staff is what it is. assistants to assist him in the duties needed to be completed so rickma could have the time to be successful. that doesnt mean anyone can or cannot rise up from that to be a success, but i just dont see brad stevens or shaka smart on the bench.

To be fair, this was coming. I and others believe this was going to be Majerus' swan song year ---- lead us to the Sweet Sixteen (or whatever), prove the world his HOF credentials, show all how he alone resurrected a brain dead program and then thumbs his nose at Biondi and rides blissfully into his personal sunset. That's where sustainability scared me. And here we find ourselves.

This will be a leap of faith -- faith in Chris May -- no matter the path chosen.

taj and i have talked about this often behind the scenes. i totally agree and considering the way this team has played out and considering the deep questions we have of our roster past the current juniors, i totally agree this was going to be the last year for rickma. it is unfortunate that he wasnt given that last season before his passing. even i agree and would have liked to have seen him have this season. they make movies out of stuff like that.

Note that my post also included moves from one BCS school to another, where it wasn't exactly moving on to a higher level job. A few examples over the last few years off the top of my head, with the BCS to BCS moves included, since if we get in the Big East, we're suddenly in a power conference.

Greg McDermott: Iowa State to Creighton (as Ace already mentioned)

Frank Martin: Kansas State to South Carolina; I think most would say that KSU has been a stronger program than South Carolina, but Martin didn't like something about K-State and moved on to USC.

Steve Alford: Iowa to New Mexico

Jim Christian: TCU (which is now in the Big 12) to Ohio

Tubby Smith: Kentucky to Minnesota

Trent Johnson: LSU to TCU

Oliver Purnell: Clemson to DePaul

The point of my post was that even though we generally consider the coaching jobs at the BCS schools, normally schools with football programs as well, to be the top jobs, sometimes those coaches find problems with those jobs and seek out a possibly less prestigious program that they believe to be a better fit. Sometimes it's a opportunity to get out before you overstay your welcome (McDermott), some times it's due to just getting tired of possible over criticism (Smith), sometimes you just don't like your AD or administration (Martin). Sometimes it could be a combo of all of those (Alford).

Basically, have the job open and see what happens. You never know who might be impressed by our recent success, our facilities, salary that SLU might be able to offer, and the whole Big East thing if it happens.

-ok, thanks for your explanation

while many want to talk about our "success" since glaze's insertion into the starting lineup, i say total coincidence. no doubt glaze plays hard. no doubt glaze has some athleticism. but we arent looking for the wedge blocker on the rams kickoff team. we are looking for a crediable power forward. he gets rebounds, but for that matter so does barnett. i am more concerned about glaze running the offense correctly, and mainly playing textbook help defense. watch the games, at some point, glaze is done for the game. and normally it comes right after the other team figures out if they get by our outstanding top shelf guards on glaze's side of the floor, there is a great chance glaze wont be there to help. result layup. once crews knows that has been discovered, we typically have seen the last of grandy for the game. i hope that grandy figures it out. someone is going to have to give us ellis and remeken minutes next year. and the good news is that glaze has the body and athleticism worthy of working with.

it is my opinion, that our success coincides with (and skip is going to hate this) basically putting evans back at power forward on offense. the vast majority of evans points during our run, come from put backs, in the lane hooks and runners, etc. he is not playing the wing from a traditional standpoint. granted we have likely two other "bigs" in the game, but evans is pretty much working inside and doing it in an outstanding fashion. three weeks ago, i was campaigning for ellis for poy for the billikens, i change my vote to evans. not that ellis hasnt still been good, but ellis is now the dependable go to guy that seems to be carrying the team.

i totally agree. while crews will likely get the job if he wants it, let's just hope there is some long term thinking that goes along with this decision. i personally believe that rickma did not assemble a staff with training a heir to the throne coach, he assembled a staff to provide him with the needed information and work for him and the program to be successful. all one has to do is look at rickma's previous employers and ask, where is the successful branch from the tree? there is none. hey i am not saying that as a knock on rickma. i am only saying his staff is what it is. assistants to assist him in the duties needed to be completed so rickma could have the time to be successful. that doesnt mean anyone can or cannot rise up from that to be a success, but i just dont see brad stevens or shaka smart on the bench.

taj and i have talked about this often behind the scenes. i totally agree and considering the way this team has played out and considering the deep questions we have of our roster past the current juniors, i totally agree this was going to be the last year for rickma. it is unfortunate that he wasnt given that last season before his passing. even i agree and would have liked to have seen him have this season. they make movies out of stuff like that.

IMO Porter Moser could have been the heir apparent if he had been more patient. The way things have played out, he may be kicking himself that he didn't stick around. Perhaps even Alex Jensen could have been that guy, but it sounds like he found out that he didn't enjoy recruiting much. Based on what RM said about Bronson numerous times, this guy could be our Brad Stevens in waiting. I hope he stays on staff and maybe down the line, he could be a viable head coach in waiting.

@ACE --- maybe on both the Moser and Jensen accounts. But both left long before the house of cards that was Rick's heart began to fall. I'd coun this in the "strike while the iron is hot" column.

Note that my post also included moves from one BCS school to another, where it wasn't exactly moving on to a higher level job. A few examples over the last few years off the top of my head, with the BCS to BCS moves included, since if we get in the Big East, we're suddenly in a power conference.

Frank Martin: Kansas State to South Carolina; I think most would say that KSU has been a stronger program than South Carolina, but Martin didn't like something about K-State and moved on to USC.

The point of my post was that even though we generally consider the coaching jobs at the BCS schools, normally schools with football programs as well, to be the top jobs, sometimes those coaches find problems with those jobs and seek out a possibly less prestigious program that they believe to be a better fit. Sometimes it's a opportunity to get out before you overstay your welcome (McDermott), some times it's due to just getting tired of possible over criticism (Smith), sometimes you just don't like your AD or administration (Martin). Sometimes it could be a combo of all of those (Alford).

Basically, have the job open and see what happens. You never know who might be impressed by our recent success, our facilities, salary that SLU might be able to offer, and the whole Big East thing if it happens.

Good post. You just never know. There could be a lot to like about this job. Trent Johnson is a good example, leaving the SEC. I could see a quality coach from the SEC or some other school where basketball plays second fiddle to football being very interested. Heck, the SEC is rated below the A-10 this year.

I think the new Big East really has the potential to be the best basketball league in the country and can attract great coaches and recruits. The way they do it is by marketing themselves that basketball is king at these schools. If you are a recruit, do you want to play in the shadows of football or be the BMOC at a school where basketball is the big show? Don't get me wrong, places like Duke, Kansas, UNC and UCLA, basketball will always be huge and those will be attractive programs. But I see the Big East being more appealing than a lot of other BCS basketball programs. Maybe a guy like Anthony Grant would want to break out of the shadow of football at Alabama. As long as we can offer a competitive salary, it's worth a call. I'd call Kevin Stallings. He's having a down year. I know Vandy is a great school, but maybe he needs a change of scenery. Maybe he is clashing with the Athletic Director? Somebody mentioned Bruce Weber last year. If somebody of that caliber gets fired this year, that's also the type of guy we should call immediately. My point is, think big! We were just treated to the legendary Rick Majerus. Let's not take a step back.

@ACE --- maybe on both the Moser and Jensen accounts. But both left long before the house of cards that was Rick's heart began to fall. I'd coun this in the "strike while the iron is hot" column.

I'm sure that is what Moser thought. Take the sure thing. But, if he had been patient, he could have walked into a very good situation here... much better than the one he currently has. Because of his age vs. Crews and the fact that he had been around the program for a long time, I think more people have been comfortable with Moser being the permanent replacement and we wouldn't be having some of these debates. BTW, I'm not saying that I'm convinced Moser would have been a a great permanent replacement either, but that more people would accept it.

I'm sure that is what Moser thought. Take the sure thing. But, if he had been patient, he could have walked into a very good situation here... much better than the one he currently has. Because of his age vs. Crews and the fact that he had been around the program for a long time, I think more people have been comfortable with Moser being the permanent replacement and we wouldn't be having some of these debates. BTW, I'm not saying that I'm convinced Moser would have been a a great permanent replacement either, but that more people would accept it.

I like Porter has a recruiter, not a coach. Between the two, I would take Crews.

Almost everyone on that list was on the hot seat and moved on before getting fired.

A Bomb. The fact that Jim Crews is able do well with a veteran team tells me that Crews has earned the respect of the guys in the locker and that he has the skills to coach and motivate current players. It certainly is a positive which cannot be ignored. To his credit, I would certainly say that Jim Crews now appears to be in control of this team. I was the at the Santa Clara game and Coach Crews was completely lost -- deer in the headlights confused. The guys did not play hard, well or smart. Timeouts were not called. No change of strategy was made. When stoppages did occur, not much positive appeared to come out of the stoppage of action. These past two (2) months, the play of the team and the actions of Jim Crews on this sidelines has greatly changed my opinion on this aspect of coaching. At the same time, his prior 35 years of coaching should also not be ignored. Remember, though, that success this year says absolutely nothing about his ability to recruit, to develop players, to hire/manage coaches and to otherwise run the basketball program. Sorry, but I am underwhelmed by Crews' hire of his friend Jim Platt. And sorry, but KC was a real talent and while he may have been a knucklehead and may have been fed bad advice, our head coach needs to be able to handle, impress, motivate and console AAU prima donnas -- that's part of the job. If Crews is retained, we will be good/fine next year but the year after (our first in the new Big East, could be a real disaster if we cannot land guys this Spring!!).

If he won the national championship you have to bring him back. Let's deal in reality.

There will be question marks about anyone. Purnell was a world beater when he was at WKU not so much since then. Barbee was tearing it up at UTEP not so at Auburn. Howland won big at Pitt not at UCLA. Gillespie didn't really get it done at UK after killing at A&M. Etc etc. There are no guarantees.

What we do know, Jim Crews is winning at SLU right now. Winning bigger than any coach has since 1957.

As to Carter, I'm not sure about his character. Perhaps it was addition by subtraction. I don't know so I won't lay any blame on Crews. He was already in a very tough situation which he so far has turned into a successful season exceeding the expectations of most.

Good post. You just never know. There could be a lot to like about this job. Trent Johnson is a good example, leaving the SEC. I could see a quality coach from the SEC or some other school where basketball plays second fiddle to football being very interested. Heck, the SEC is rated below the A-10 this year.

I think the new Big East really has the potential to be the best basketball league in the country and can attract great coaches and recruits. The way they do it is by marketing themselves that basketball is king at these schools. If you are a recruit, do you want to play in the shadows of football or be the BMOC at a school where basketball is the big show? Don't get me wrong, places like Duke, Kansas, UNC and UCLA, basketball will always be huge and those will be attractive programs. But I see the Big East being more appealing than a lot of other BCS basketball programs. Maybe a guy like Anthony Grant would want to break out of the shadow of football at Alabama. As long as we can offer a competitive salary, it's worth a call. I'd call Kevin Stallings. He's having a down year. I know Vandy is a great school, but maybe he needs a change of scenery. Maybe he is clashing with the Athletic Director? Somebody mentioned Bruce Weber last year. If somebody of that caliber gets fired this year, that's also the type of guy we should call immediately. My point is, think big! We were just treated to the legendary Rick Majerus. Let's not take a step back.

Don't forget "lateral" moves or even what could be considered "lesser moves" within BCS conferences.

Bob Huggins left Kansas State (Big XII) for W. Va (Big East) where West Va had never been been known for their basketball. Yes, it was/is his Alma Mater but who saw this coming? Another one, here locally, was Mike Anderson leaving Mizzou (Big XII) for Arkansas (SEC) which many thought was a move to a lesser program.

There is no AD at Vandy. I still don't see the problem w/ bringing in good young AC to learn under JC fo couple of years. I like the success Butler, X, and VCU have had w/ promoting from with in.

There is no AD at Vandy. I still don't see the problem w/ bringing in good young AC to learn under JC fo couple of years. I like the success Butler, X, and VCU have had w/ promoting from with in.

+100

I think having a Tim Jankovich - Larry Brown situation would be good for us at SLU.

If he won the national championship you have to bring him back. Let's deal in reality.

There will be question marks about anyone. Purnell was a world beater when he was at WKU not so much since then. Barbee was tearing it up at UTEP not so at Auburn. Howland won big at Pitt not at UCLA. Gillespie didn't really get it done at UK after killing at A&M. Etc etc. There are no guarantees.

What we do know, Jim Crews is winning at SLU right now. Winning bigger than any coach has since 1957.

As to Carter, I'm not sure about his character. Perhaps it was addition by subtraction. I don't know so I won't lay any blame on Crews. He was already in a very tough situation which he so far has turned into a successful season exceeding the expectations of most.

You're right about Jim Crews winning right now. And I'll go one futher and say that we should win in similar fashion next year to what we are doing this year. In that sense, Crews is not just inheriting a team for this year only. Yes, we lose KM, CE and CR but we return all the rest (along with marginal improvements by all) who would probably play better next year for Crews (using the same system as this year) than if we bring in a new coach with a new system, etc. Therefore, Crews is not just winning this year but he/we should win next year as well -- especially if Butler and X leave the A10.

By then, we should know if Crews is able to replace this year's class and next year's class. If not, we are in deep trouble with with a coach who has 4 years left on his contract!! Now, if the decision is made to go with Crews (and all already know my thoughts on this subject), then I sure hope we sign him with a 5 year contract (which he can tell recruits) but that it contains a minimal buyout clause based upon poor performance.

Don't forget "lateral" moves or even what could be considered "lesser moves" within BCS conferences.

Bob Huggins left Kansas State (Big XII) for W. Va (Big East) where West Va had never been been known for their basketball. Yes, it was/is his Alma Mater but who saw this coming? Another one, here locally, was Mike Anderson leaving Mizzou (Big XII) for Arkansas (SEC) which many thought was a move to a lesser program.

Arkansas has been to the Final 4 six times, Won a National Championships and has a 2nd Place finish. Anyone thinking that was a lesser program is delusional and knows nothing about college basketball.

Who saw Huggins going to WVU? Everyone paying attention, that speculation went all the way back to when he was at UC. UC had a better basketball history than KSU (a football school).

Not saying that there are no other options besides removing the interim tag.

Don't forget "lateral" moves or even what could be considered "lesser moves" within BCS conferences.Bob Huggins left Kansas State (Big XII) for W. Va (Big East) where West Va had never been been known for their basketball. Yes, it was/is his Alma Mater but who saw this coming? Another one, here locally, was Mike Anderson leaving Mizzou (Big XII) for Arkansas (SEC) which many thought was a move to a lesser progrpam.

West Virginia is a better basketball program than KSU. KSU had't even sniffed the NCAA tournament for over a decade before Huggins got there. Arkansas is clearly a better job than Mizzou. A national championship, a runner up finish, and six final fours.

Good post. You just never know. There could be a lot to like about this job. Trent Johnson is a good example, leaving the SEC. I could see a quality coach from the SEC or some other school where basketball plays second fiddle to football being very interested. Heck, the SEC is rated below the A-10 this year. I think the new Big East really has the potential to be the best basketball league in the country and can attract great coaches and recruits. The way they do it is by marketing themselves that basketball is king at these schools. If you are a recruit, do you want to play in the shadows of football or be the BMOC at a school where basketball is the big show? Don't get me wrong, places like Duke, Kansas, UNC and UCLA, basketball will always be huge and those will be attractive programs. But I see the Big East being more appealing than a lot of other BCS basketball programs. Maybe a guy like Anthony Grant would want to break out of the shadow of football at Alabama. As long as we can offer a competitive salary, it's worth a call. I'd call Kevin Stallings. He's having a down year. I know Vandy is a great school, but maybe he needs a change of scenery. Maybe he is clashing with the Athletic Director? Somebody mentioned Bruce Weber last year. If somebody of that caliber gets fired this year, that's also the type of guy we should call immediately. My point is, think big! We were just treated to the legendary Rick Majerus. Let's not take a step back.

Trent Johnson left LSU just before they fired him. He left one football school for another football school. He isn't a good coach.

I don't get the fascination some have with Anthony Grant. I am a big Stallings, but he isn't leaving Vandy.

Insider information from a wealthy contributor on the SLU athletic board said that they will make the Jim Crews announcement sometime this week. Interesting if you ask me, personally I'd wait until Selection Sunday AT LEAST, but I'm anxious to see if that comes true or not.

And to the Mike Brown mention a couple pages back...

That'd be great. I think somebody with NBA ties like that could really lure some big name recruits with NBA plans.

Plus, with the new conference possibilities, I think that gives big reason for Crews, or anyone, to step up and fill the position.

No matter what happens, we need to get it figured out soon. No recruit is going to want to come into a program without plans for a year in the future.

No. IF the decision is already made, then waiting only makes the situation worse. We lost the entire Fall recruiting season and high school recruits, JUCOs and college transfers are anxious and waiting now!! The more we can line the recruits up now while we are ranked #16 in the country the better!! Why wait for the NCAA Tourney and Selection Sunday when most teams' seasons are finished?! Further, by waiting until then, news of the hire would be lost among the NCAA Tourney selections (and those who got snubbed). Also, all but the A10 and BCS conferences are done the week prior to Selection Sunday so there will already be a list of coaches who are fired and contacts being made to recruits who are waiting for things to shake out. Getting in early/on-time for this would be a big plus!!

Trent Johnson left LSU just before they fired him. He left one football school for another football school. He isn't a good coach.

I don't get the fascination some have with Anthony Grant. I am a big Stallings, but he isn't leaving Vandy.

Trent Johnson got hired in April. He wasn't going to get fired that offseason. The next one, perhaps, but he had at least one more year at LSU.

Regarding Stallings, like I said, it is worth a call. A lot of people around here thought we had no shot at Majerus. Stallings has been on the hot seat before and it may be warming up again - http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21521209/conference-reset-the-sec-is-uk-mu-uf-and-everybody-else

Coach feeling the heat: Kevin Stallings is a smart basketball coach who can match wits with anybody. But he's in a total rebuilding mode in his 14th season at Vanderbilt, and no fan wants to see a coach totally rebuilding in a 14th season. Barring a surprise, Stallings is about to post his first losing mark in the SEC since 2005-06. What some are asking is whether he'll be able to avoid posting another one next season. And if he can't, it's fair to wonder whether Stallings will find himself on the proverbial hot seat, just another example of a coach who might've stayed in the same spot too long.

-it sounds like Carter left because Rick was no longer coach and he came to play for Rick so I don't lay that blame on Crews, if that is the course of events

IMO Porter Moser could have been the heir apparent if he had been more patient. The way things have played out, he may be kicking himself that he didn't stick around. Perhaps even Alex Jensen could have been that guy, but it sounds like he found out that he didn't enjoy recruiting much. Based on what RM said about Bronson numerous times, this guy could be our Brad Stevens in waiting. I hope he stays on staff and maybe down the line, he could be a viable head coach in waiting.

seriously? after the "tryouts" porter had you thought he would be a good coach for the billikens? imo porter is a career kickbutt recruiter, his head coaching stints and opportunities though have been less than desireable. as to jensen, he couldnt get through a year of being the head recruiter. the jury is still out on bronson. very early. that said, not like we got more loi's or verbal commits than we can handle for next year. i.e. he isnt knocking it out of the park right now.

Trent Johnson got hired in April. He wasn't going to get fired that offseason. The next one, perhaps, but he had at least one more year at LSU.

Regarding Stallings, like I said, it is worth a call. A lot of people around here thought we had no shot at Majerus. Stallings has been on the hot seat before and it may be warming up again - http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21521209/conference-reset-the-sec-is-uk-mu-uf-and-everybody-else

Coach feeling the heat: Kevin Stallings is a smart basketball coach who can match wits with anybody. But he's in a total rebuilding mode in his 14th season at Vanderbilt, and no fan wants to see a coach totally rebuilding in a 14th season. Barring a surprise, Stallings is about to post his first losing mark in the SEC since 2005-06. What some are asking is whether he'll be able to avoid posting another one next season. And if he can't, it's fair to wonder whether Stallings will find himself on the proverbial hot seat, just another example of a coach who might've stayed in the same spot too long.

Majerus didn't have a job at one of the best schools in the country when we hired him. Yeah, Stallings might be on the hot seat if he has another bad season. He won't and currently he isn't in any trouble.

Johnson is the current version of Pat Kennedy. Keeps taking a step down job before he gets canned from the job he previously held.

seriously? after the "tryouts" porter had you thought he would be a good coach for the billikens? imo porter is a career kickbutt recruiter, his head coaching stints and opportunities though have been less than desireable. as to jensen, he couldnt get through a year of being the head recruiter. the jury is still out on bronson. very early. that said, not like we got more loi's or verbal commits than we can handle for next year. i.e. he isnt knocking it out of the park right now.

Well, you must have missed my follow up post regarding Moser where I said "BTW, I'm not saying that I'm convinced Moser would have been a great permanent replacement either, but that more people would accept it."

That was my point. I think most people would have accepted that the longtime Associate Head Coach who was here with RM from the beginning and was involved with recruiting many of these players would be chosen as the heir apparent. At the very least, I think more people would be on board with the idea as opposed to how they feel about Crews, an older guy who hasn't been around the program as long. Moser possibly being the next head coach was talked about on here from the moment he was hired, so it wouldn't have been a surprise to anybody.

Regarding Bronson, you're holding this against him? "that said, not like we got more loi's or verbal commits than we can handle for next year. i.e. he isnt knocking it out of the park right now." :wacko: You may have noticed, we didn't have a head coach in the fall signing period. Not easy to recruit in that situation. That wasn't going to be easy for anybody. I know Bronson is no Angres Thorpe ;) , but considering that he was strongly endorsed by the legendary Rick Majerus, he might be a good candidate to keep on for some continuity whil also developing a bright young coach.

Well, you must have missed my follow up post regarding Moser where I said "BTW, I'm not saying that I'm convinced Moser would have been a great permanent replacement either, but that more people would accept it."

That was my point. I think most people would have accepted that the longtime Associate Head Coach who was here with RM from the beginning and was involved with recruiting many of these players would be chosen as the heir apparent. At the very least, I think more people would be on board with the idea as opposed to how they feel about Crews, an older guy who hasn't been around the program as long. Moser possibly being the next head coach was talked about on here from the moment he was hired, so it wouldn't have been a surprise to anybody.

Regarding Bronson, you're holding this against him? "that said, not like we got more loi's or verbal commits than we can handle for next year. i.e. he isnt knocking it out of the park right now." :wacko: You may have noticed, we didn't have a head coach in the fall signing period. Not easy to recruit in that situation. That wasn't going to be easy for anybody. I know Bronson is no Angres Thorpe ;) , but considering that he was strongly endorsed by the legendary Rick Majerus, he might be a good candidate to keep on for some continuity whil also developing a bright young coach.

and i guess you didnt read where i said, "the jury is still out on bronson".

again, if rickma had this long list of successful protege's i might take that strong endorsement better. my belief is rickma hired to augment his own weaknesses and areas he could free himself up for tasks he felt were more important. for all we know his like of bronson was he was good at handling administrative tasks, or setting up travel arrangements or tracking the ncaa recruiting documentation. or maybe he indeed thought he would be the next shaka.

right now i feel we need a recruiter deluxe asap. there is none proven on our staff.