Sounds like Crews has the job

HenryB

"My point: the right coach is more important than the conference. The trade off to the "recruiting" advantage and the advantages of being in a "major" conference is that it will be harder to win games in that our fellow conference rivals will also have these same advantages. Again, it will come down to the right coach to not only recruit talent but also to develop this talent and then coach this talent in games. Losing games and .500 records will be what SLU is looking at if we don't hire the right coach."

Of course the right coach is what you want. Look at Majerus, he had a superior resume & reputation and a nationwide network of insiders who helped him assemble a phenomenal team of 2*-3* players who would fit his system.

Do you think we are going to get another Majerus?

He was a fluke, random (rare) good luck for The Billikens. It was his sunset final career gig, he wanted a Jesuit school, non power conference, in the midwest close as possible to his mother. So he was able to overcome the A-10's lack of luster and got some kids that also he knew would be players, committed to excellence.

But the conference DOES matter a LOT.

Look at the 2014 recruiting top 100's.

Does LSU have a great coach? California? NC State? Arkansas? Cincinnati? Tennessee? They all landed 5* top 25 type players, it depends upon if you look at Scout or ESPN (whatever).

And I do not see any mid majors in there until you get to the 4*'s, into the top 100, then a few pop in. It is mostly all power conferences and not just Ky-Duke-Florida-etc. (exception Memphis got a few but I look at them knowing they won a National Championship recently).

The new Big East (C7+) compared to the A-10 less Butler & Xavier & Temple... then maybe Dayton if we get screwed... goddam John Wooden could not recruit into that mess. Terrible teams, terrilbe TV, no rivalries, terrible geography...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given the idea of Crews being retained some thought over the last few days. I'm still not overly optimistic about the future of SLU basketball if he was made the permanent head coach. I think we'd be good next year, but I'd be concerned about the years following that. The fact that Crews hasn't been in the recruiting game in 15 years concerns me a lot. While he has been a good interim coach, I do wonder how just how much of the team's success is due to Crews, or if he is just properly managing a team that was already good. It's one thing to do well with good players who were already there and ingrained in a system, and it's a different thing to be able to bring in your own players and run a program. I'm not exactly persuaded by the "give him a chance" or "he's earned a chance" arguments when giving someone a chance entails a yearly salary somewhere between $500,000-$1 million.

I willing to be persuaded to the contrary by arguments that would suggest that when he was at Evansville, he actually was a very good recruiter. I'm not talking about some theory that getting into the Big East would be a magic potion that would have 4 star recruits on their knees begging to come to SLU; I mean actual evidence that he was actually able to consistently either beat out major conference schools for recruits, or that he was able to consistently find talented kids under the radar like Majerus was so great at doing. In glancing at an Evansville board, there seemed to be some suggestions that in his last few years there, Crews had issues with the AD and/or President of the school because they weren't giving him the support he thought was necessary. There was also an article from John Feinstein the other day that said that when Crews got fired at Army, he wasn't all that upset about it because he had been in a disagreement for about a year there over support of the program.

I've registered to post at an Evansville board, and once my account gets approved, I plan to post there to gauge his ability to recruit and run a program.

As I mentioned in a earlier post, I acknowledge that if Crews coaches us to some combo of a conference title and a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 appearance in the NCAA Tournament, SLU might have to give him a shot and just hope it works out, because it would be somewhat difficult, at least in terms of public perception and credibility, to not retain a guy who just was the coach for the best season in program history. As an example, when Michigan won the national in the late 80s or thereabouts, Bo Schembechler had fired his head coach during the NCAA tournament because the guy had agreed to move to Arizona State after the season. Bo didn't want to hire the interim coach, Steve Fisher, but it's hard not to when Fisher was at the helm for a national championship.

After reading hundreds of posts on this subject over the season, it is pretty apparent that Crews cannot win over a certain number of people here. He could take this team to the Final Four, win National Coach of the Year, get himself on the cover of SI and it still won't be enough. In certain minds, he just isn't the right person for the job and there is no way he can convince a number of people that he is. However, it comes down to what the school thinks. My thought is, that barring losing every single game from here on out, that May and Biondi have pretty much decided to retain Crews as the head coach. Crews appears to want the job, and in their minds, why would they go on a nationwide coaching search when they have someone in place who just led the team to its best regular season ever? And has gotten lots of positive press to boot?

I think, as fans, that we are just going to have to accept the fact that Crews is going to be the head coach for immediate future.

This reminds me of reading the Kentucky board a few years ago when a fan posted "....we'll probably win the national championship and then we will be stuck with Tubby".

I think, as fans, that we are just going to have to accept the fact that Crews is going to be the head coach for immediate future.

I've generally come to that point as well. I'm just hoping that someone can provide me some good evidence beyond what we have in front of us at the moment to make me feel more excited about the situation.

Crews will not be the only one out recruiting. Having a great staff (with a few young guys like we have) is going to help out tremendously. Crews is a great coach, and has a great basketball mind. He has worked for and learned from the best. SLU could go on a national search and end up with someone much less experienced (possibly more "hip), who ends up struggling to win at SLU. I think with Crews you have a stable force. The head coach is not the only thing that sells for SLU. Look at our basketball facilitites. The nicest in the A10 (and potentially the new league). Gorgeous school setting in Midtown St. Louis. Potentially a new big time league, where we would consistantly play against top competition. I really think the KEY to recruiting for the immediate future is going to be our play from here on out. If we make a serious run into the Sweet 16th (or farther!), recruiting is going to take off. The National exposure we would get would be unprecedented.

I might get blasted for this comment too, but I think Crews runs a better offensive philosophy for the talent we have than Majerus was running. I think sometimes Majerus was being overly conservative on Offense to the point of lessening our Athletic advantage. While still playing excellent defense, I think Crews is more willing to get more aggressive on the Offensive end of the floor, and to me this is one of the reasons this team has absolutely flourished as of late.

I might get blasted for this comment too, but I think Crews runs a better offensive philosophy for the talent we have than Majerus was running. I think sometimes Majerus was being overly conservative on Offense to the point of lessening our Athletic advantage. While still playing excellent defense, I think Crews is more willing to get more aggressive on the Offensive end of the floor, and to me this is one of the reasons this team has absolutely flourished as of late.

It's all about getting "system players." Duke can get a MacDonald's All-American to ride the pine for four years just because it's Duke. We've gotta get kids that have played in a similar system whether that's high school or AAU ball. Not only will Crews and Co. find these guys, but I truly believe that our basketball offices will get flooded with DVDs and highlight tapes from coaches across the country this summer that have diamond-in-the-rough 3 star guys that just need an opportunity.

SLU is the Cody Ellis Island for these players!

It's all about getting "system players." Duke can get a MacDonald's All-American to ride the pine for four years just because it's Duke. We've gotta get kids that have played in a similar system whether that's high school or AAU ball. Not only will Crews and Co. find these guys, but I truly believe that our basketball offices will get flooded with DVDs and highlight tapes from coaches across the country this summer that have diamond-in-the-rough 3 star guys that just need an opportunity.

SLU is the Cody Ellis Island for these players!

This is groan-worthy, Metz! Even for you! ;)

This is groan-worthy, Metz! Even for you! ;)

Bizzle, I thought you of all people would like that one! haha

it just came to me as I was typing! I felt like Emma Lazarus!

I don't like the notion that SLU owes Jim Crews a chance, and I believe some posters seem to feel that way or believe SLU will feel that way. SLU owes Jim Crews consideration, nothing more.

Chris May should already have a list of the traits and accomplishments he's looking for in a HC and an idea of what is the most important to him and SLU for the future of the program, not the past. If in the end SLU decides Crews is the man for the job due to how he fits the profile of what they want ... I'm good with it.

However, like any coach they hire, they have to live with the results. IF Jim Crews gets the job and doesn't recruit well when all of his past history including statements that have been attributed to him that he didn't care for it ... Mays will get hammered and rightfully so. Nothing predicts the future better than the past. Jim Crews past does not say strong recruiter. I get that he's suddenly energized, big fouking deal. Who the hell wouldn't be with this team. The question is ... for how long and how can SLU be sure that the new found love of coaching doesn't begin to fade away when normalcy hits again ... and it will.

I have misgivings about Crews, but as much as I would like SLU to find a long-term answer, I'm not overwhelmed by the list of up and coming coaches.

I think May/Biondi will look at Crews as a guy who can keep what RM built going at half the price, with any March success just pushing them further in that direction. The only thing that would stop the train is Dr. Chaifetz telling them he thinks SLU needs to do better and would cut a check to get the right guy.

I'm guessing it might be easier to keep a few more locals here w/ the new conference and the recent pub we've been getting. Of course the winning has to continue. Parents may play more of a role in this. Whereas before they may have seen SLU as irrelevant w/o local TV for the away games, they jsut might view us in a different light given every away game will be televised. Not saying we'll be the destination for any of St. L's recent 5 stars like Beals, McLemore, et al, but the legit D1 players who now go elsewhere. If we retain JC would it be wise to add a local young HS HC to the staff to help in this regard?

But it is agreed in general the 4 and 5 star guys go for the coach more than anything. You have the old guard Pitino, K, Boeheim, and Calamari. Then you have the young hip guys, Smart and Stevens types who can bring them in with their knowledge of rap and hip hop.

I think JC's gonna get the job for a lot of reasons, but we'd better provide him w/ some decent help.

Not sold on Crews the recruiter but I said and felt the same. We've had more fast break/transition/one guy driving to the hoop, buckets this year than in the past couple combined. It was hard to watch early in the season because it seemed like we just abandoned our offensive sets. Obviosly the last 11 games have been pretty except for GW.......

Not sold on Crews the recruiter but I said and felt the same. We've had more fast break/transition/one guy driving to the hoop, buckets this year than in the past couple combined. It was hard to watch early in the season because it seemed like we just abandoned our offensive sets. Obviosly the last 11 games have been pretty except for GW.......

I agree but also think that RM may have loosened the reigns this year. He always spoke of wanting to push it more when it made sense. Regardless it's great to see and fun to watch.

I'm guessing it might be easier to keep a few more locals here w/ the new conference and the recent pub we've been getting. Of course the winning has to continue. Parents may play more of a role in this. Whereas before they may have seen SLU as irrelevant w/o local TV for the away games, they jsut might view us in a different light given every away game will be televised. Not saying we'll be the destination for any of St. L's recent 5 stars like Beals, McLemore, et al, but the legit D1 players who now go elsewhere. If we retain JC would it be wise to add a local young HS HC to the staff to help in this regard? But it is agreed in general the 4 and 5 star guys go for the coach more than anything. You have the old guard Pitino, K, Boeheim, and Calamari. Then you have the young hip guys, Smart and Stevens types who can bring them in with their knowledge of rap and hip hop. I think JC's gonna get the job for a lot of reasons, but we'd better provide him w/ some decent help.

Shaka and Stevens are not landing any 5 star kids. Their success is built on finding the right kids to play their systems. VCU's and Butler's current rosters each have only one 4 star kid on them and they are both freshman. Burgess for VCU isn't eligible to play this season either. Both programs have zero five and four star kids signed for next year.

After reading hundreds of posts on this subject over the season, it is pretty apparent that Crews cannot win over a certain number of people here. He could take this team to the Final Four, win National Coach of the Year, get himself on the cover of SI and it still won't be enough. In certain minds, he just isn't the right person for the job and there is no way he can convince a number of people that he is. However, it comes down to what the school thinks. My thought is, that barring losing every single game from here on out, that May and Biondi have pretty much decided to retain Crews as the head coach. Crews appears to want the job, and in their minds, why would they go on a nationwide coaching search when they have someone in place who just led the team to its best regular season ever? And has gotten lots of positive press to boot?

On what basis do you make your statement that "May and Biondi have pretty much decided to retain Crews as the head coach" ?? I'll bet right now the answer is: NONE. Admit it. You have not talked with either May or Biondi and you have no inside source either. Instead, you are just a fan drinking the Kool-Aide (and by that, I mean watching our team win, reading the national stories, etc.).

In contrast, let me cite some facts and remind you of what has really been going on. First, it would totally irresponsible of Chris May (or any Athletic Director) not to have already been conducting a national search of coaching candidates and developing a "short list" dating back to last Fall. Second, I am confident that Chris May has either personally talked with such candidates or that he has talked with third parties of such candidates (to abide by NCAA rules and to not contact employees who already under contract with another school without the other school's permission) in order to guage interest in the job. Third, go back and read the posts of reliable posters on this Board, along with Chris May himself, who have confirmed that May and SLU have already begun such a national search. Fourth, go back and read the posts of this Board's reliable posters who previously posted (a few months ago) that private converstations were that Jim Crews would likely not be back and that a replacement search is underway. Fifth, it would totally irresponsible and insulting to Crews to not consider (or if the prior statement is true, not to re-consider) Crews for the job in light of the job coaching this team that Crews has done. If, as you speculate, SLU has privately reached a deal with Crews, then we will all know in a few weeks. Otherwise, standard, professional statements by May and SLU that they will not be distracted with discussions about the head coach during the season, etc. should not be interpreted by you, and others, that Crews will or will not be back.

And yes. My opinions on Jim Crews will not change if SLU wins the National Championship this year!! Why? Because Jim Crews is a 59 year man who has not shown me anywhere in his 35 years of prior coaching experience that he is the best person to run SLU's basketball going forward next year. Is he doing a great job this year? Absolutely!! Would I vote for him this year for National Coach of the Year? Yes. But look at what Romar did with Spoon's players -- Conf USA tourney run and NCAA appearance in his first year followed by miserable recruiting before running our program into the ground. Bruce Weber won big with Bill Self's team before running Illinois into the ground. Tuby Smith and Steve Fisher are both good (not great) basketball coaches who won with their prior coachs' talent but never could duplicate such accomplishments on their own. Crews would do the same thing if given the permanent head coaching job. Why I am so confident in my statement? Look at his body of work.

-along the lines of Clock, where are you getting that??

-I agree that Crews cannot win over a certain number of people here