Sounds like Crews has the job

HenryB

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so subtle hint from Bernie

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-bytes-time-to-shake-up-the-blues/article_07e66925-2d6a-5e58-917d-85fc206b1f5a.html

5. Don’t worry about Jim Crews and St. Louis U and the future. That is all

"...and the future."

He knows something about conference stuff too.

Maybe he was implying everyone should quit worrying about Crews, the Big East and all that crap and enjoy the ride that's in front of you. Unfortunately, there's probably been too much focus on that crap and everyone is so quick to jump on any anecdote posted on any idiot blog or website and it detracts from the team of the present in some ways.

Maybe that's what he meant, because I find it hard that Bernie or anyone at the Post Dispatch would know anything about anything.

Bernie did talk about this issue on his radio show today, though I didn't take anything from it that might suggest he knew something we didn't. It was more just, enjoy the run and things will be worked out after.

Just heard him discuss this on the radio and he left himself some wiggle room by saying he's not implying that listeners should "take it to the bank" that SLU gets in the new Big East but he's talked to a few people he trusts and feels good about it. As for Crews, he said that he believes that not even Crews was sure he wanted the job at the outset but now seems to be having fun and has a genuine interest in the job. He also added that Crews indicated that he doesn't want his situation to be a distraction to what the kids are doing right now and believes sticking to the agreement he made with Chris May to wait till after the season is the best course of action.

Bernie also guaranteed that Matt Painter was the new coach of Missouri. I like Bernie but he never has been a good source for breaking news.

I almost mentioned that exact point but I don't like to bring up that school here. Like I said, he's being coy. We don't know exactly WHAT he meant there. And depending upon how things go, he can say later, "see, I told you so."

Crews has done a very good job managing rickma's team. Other than the carter thing nothing has gone wrong. He has managed to cover the teams weaknesses and has won games i didnt give a chance in hell of winning. That said, unless a couple of recruiting stud assts are also announced at the same time a crews permanent head coaching job is announced, i am convinced he is the wrong guy.

For now bernie stay out of it and lets enjoy the rest of the season

Crews has done a very good job managing rickma's team. Other than the carter thing nothing has gone wrong. He has managed to cover the teams weaknesses and has won games i didnt give a chance in hell of winning. That said, unless a couple of recruiting stud assts are also announced at the same time a crews permanent head coaching job is announced, i am convinced he is the wrong guy.

+1

Crews has done a great job coaching this team. Possible coach of the year candidate.

We've gotten one recruit since he took over and we lost another in Carter. Seems to me he is the perfect guy for the interim position but that is completely different from wanting him to be the face of the program. Most rational posters on here seem to agree.

+0.5

It's very interesting that outside perception is to give him the job, no questions asked, while many on this board (whom I consider to be the voice of the die-hard base) are generally opposed to it, or at least have significant reservations.

Up to this point in the season, Jim Crews has done the best job of recruiting of any SLU coach in the past 50 years.

I'd like to think so but until we start seeing some commitments, consider me worried.

We're losing Ellis, Remekun, and Mitchell. We've already lost Carter.

We've signed Mike Crawford.

I'm not totally worried for next season because I figure the minutes left by Ellis, Mitchell, and Remekun will be filled by McBroom, Crawford, and Manning, more or less. But next year Evans, Jett, McCall, Barnett, and Loe are seniors. That's 9 scholarships to fill in 2 seasons and we've basically filled 2.

I sure hope there are a lot of HS studs out there chomping at the bit to become Billikens and I just don't know about it; I just haven't seen any sign of it yet and fear we might have a couple lean years starting in 2014-2015.

Let's make 2 assumptions: Slu gets into C7 in 2014 and Crews doesnt want the job. Can someone with more time and knowledge into the matter give me some possible coaching options to replace him? There is no precedent for this thought, and it is very out there, but any chance Mike Brown would be interested in coming to the college game after being torched and pushed around by the NBA?

but any chance Mike Brown would be interested in coming to the college game after being torched and pushed around by the NBA?

id like to have your dealers number please

+0.5

It's very interesting that outside perception is to give him the job, no questions asked, while many on this board (whom I consider to be the voice of the die-hard base) are generally opposed to it, or at least have significant reservations.

I think that's because the diehards that follow the program know how hard it is to recruit and bring in as much talent as we currently have on the roster. Quite frankly it's never happened before to have this much talent on one team and it took Majerus 4-5 years to make it happen. The media and outsiders forget the process to get here and don't worry about the cliff we are about to fall off in two years if more talent isn't brought in soon.

Recruiting will be what determines our success in 2 years in the Big East.

One way that we may be as to workaround the large number of open scholarships coming up in the next few years is through transfers.

Most good HS and Jucos are signed or committed somewhere by now. There always are plenty of players transferring after 2nd semester.

Whoever our next coach is can bring in 2-3 FR or SO transfers after this season. They can sit out next year while learning our system and be ready to plug in the lineup for 2014-2015

I think that's because the diehards that follow the program know how hard it is to recruit and bring in as much talent as we currently have on the roster. Quite frankly it's never happened before to have this much talent on one team and it took Majerus 4-5 years to make it happen. The media and outsiders forget the process to get here and don't worry about the cliff we are about to fall off in two years if more talent is brought in soon.

Recruiting will be what determines our success in 2 years in the Big East.

Bingo. People on this board have far more perspective regarding this team than the johnny-come-lately media members who haven't paid attention over the past 10 years (hell, even the past 2 years).

Crews has done a great job with this squad getting them to play hard, smart, and fast, but what many outsiders do not seem to get is that this squad was supposed to be very good. Even after Majerus' absence, we were picked as a preseason top 25 by ESPN and tabbed second in the A-10 by the coaches and writers.

I'm not convinced like Roy that Crews is all wrong. He could be great, but his ability/desire to recruit is a big question mark, so I'm hopeful that the hiring will happen because people truly think he can get the job done going forward, not because he "deserves it." If that means hiring a hot-shot assistant, so be it.