C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

Is it my imagination, or have we been getting a TON more love from Fox sports this past season? It seems we have multiple articles a week on there. Not to mention them picking up a majority of our games this year. It really seems that they are valuing our program, also validating the reports I have seen that Fox is pushing hard for us. If they are, I can't believe the audacity of this C7 group to push back against them. And then I'm lead back to my questions I posted in the other thread

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>

The more I read, the more stories seem to add up that there won't be an announcement regarding the 2014 teams on Tuesday. Most sources, stories, etc are saying that there are still multiple schools under consideration for the final 2 or 3 spots. That is not good at all. </p>

This NY Post article just came out and sounds promising

The beast is back sooner than expected.

Sources confirmed to The Post the Catholic 7, which announced in mid-December it was withdrawing from the Big East Conference, will expand to 10 schools, adding Butler, Creighton and Xavier, and begin play next season.

The Catholic 7 also will retain the Big East name, making the reconfigured conference once again the Beast of the East. St. Louis and Dayton will join the Big East for the 2014-2015 season, said additional sources, giving the league an East and West Division.

The new Big East will be a 12-school basketball-centric conference with a heavy presence in urban markets. Based on todays rankings, the league would have four teams No. 7 Georgetown, No. 18 St. Louis, No. 20 Butler and No.22 Marquette in the Top 25.

No decision has been made yet, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco told The Post last night in a telephone interview. Ive heard reports that were going to announce something on Tuesday, which just isnt true.

Were talking and well continue to talk. This is a sensitive issue and theres a lot of moving parts. But all parties have been committed to doing this in an amicable manner and I dont see any reason why thats not going to be the case.

The Big East was looking for financial compensation to surrender the name. The price tag is unknown, but it became less of a stumbling block as the Catholic 7 zeroed in on a lucrative TV deal with Fox Sports Network.

That deal will bring each school about $3 million annually, or about twice as much as the non-FBS playing schools were making under the current deal. The Big East recently agreed to a $130 million deal over seven years with ESPN that will pay each school about half of what the Catholic 7 will get.

Sources told The Post the Garden is excited about retaining the Big East Conference Tournament. The Catholic 7 is adding three teams next year because the future of Notre Dame still needs to be clarified. Its likely the Irish would remain in the Big East next season before moving on to the ACC.

The Big East teams that are not aligned with the Catholic 7 such as Cincinnati, Connecticut and South Florida are working with marketing experts to develop a new brand name. Aresco will remain the commissioner of that league. The Catholic 7 is working with a search firm to find a commissioner and is seriously exploring moving its league office to New York.

The biggest winner in all this is Butler, which less than five years ago was an obscure member of the Horizon League and will now be a major player in the Big East. The biggest loser is Connecticut, which won three NCAA mens basketball titles as a member of the Big East only to be left out in the cold world of realignment.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/catholic_big_east_IgiXNYFgm84P9AiafuJtrO

Of all the sources and rumors out there, this is the article I would go with. Lenn Robbins is a longtime sports writer for the NY Post. He is very connected to the BE (new and old) His sources are reliable and he checks things out. If he says Dayton and the Bills are members in 2014 then that is the best info available at this time.

Also, it is best to read articles carefully. In the above article, it seems to imply nothing has been decided ...everything is up in the air. Upon further inspection, you will notice that this gibberish is coming from Mike Aresco, BE commish. It has been under his weak and reactionary leadership that the BE has fallen apart. It was under his watch that football vanished all the while saying nothing has been decided, we have this under control. Fail. BE=reactive....C-7=proactive. Aresco says nothing will be announced Tues. He is correct. He will wait for the C-7 to announce on Tues and then try to come up with a plan....maybe try SDSU and Boise again.

Bottomline...I would go with what Robbins says at this point......But, X and Cregh in 13 and the Bills and Day in 14.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Pistol" data-cid="347895" data-time="1362150491"><p>

We will pay the exit fee, even if it's $2,000,000. The same article says TV revenue could be $3,000,000 per school in the first year; even if the newcomers won't get that amount, it won't be less to the degree that a $2,000,000 exit fee would not be worth it. Dr. Chaifetz could stroke one check to make that happen. The difference between what we paid Majerus under his contract and what we'll pay the next guy might reach $2,000,000 over the course of a single contract (or less, possibly).<br />

<br />

This is the biggest moment in SLU athletic history. Don't it up for a one-time fee.</p></blockquote>

I will donate $20 to the exit fee. Let's do this.

Of all the sources and rumors out there, this is the article I would go with. Lenn Robbins is a longtime sports writer for the NY Post. He is very connected to the BE (new and old) His sources are reliable and he checks things out. If he says Dayton and the Bills are members in 2014 then that is the best info available at this time.

Also, it is best to read articles carefully. In the above article, it seems to imply nothing has been decided ...everything is up in the air. Upon further inspection, you will notice that this gibberish is coming from Mike Aresco, BE commish. It has been under his weak and reactionary leadership that the BE has fallen apart. It was under his watch that football vanished all the while saying nothing has been decided, we have this under control. Fail. BE=reactive....C-7=proactive. Aresco says nothing will be announced Tues. He is correct. He will wait for the C-7 to announce on Tues and then try to come up with a plan....maybe try SDSU and Boise again.

Bottomline...I would go with what Robbins says at this point......But, X and Cregh in 13 and the Bills and Day in 14.

The only thing I am not tracking is his statement that Creighton is in in 2013, but they are adding 3 this year because ND is likely to remain for one more season. Doesn't that mean they would only add 2 this year? I still don't fully understand why they aren't going to 12 from the start. I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation from anyone.

The only thing I am not tracking is his statement that Creighton is in in 2013, but they are adding 3 this year because ND is likely to remain for one more season. Doesn't that mean they would only add 2 this year? I still don't fully understand why they aren't going to 12 from the start. I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation from anyone.

Creighton puzzles me too: remote, small market. Why first in?

So try this argument. If Fox has the best offer and wants 12, they will do 12 ASAP. Presumably by this time the 12 know who they are (or someone hasn't been doing his homework), and, as always, if the job is to be done, it is best done quickly. There is only one reason for any of the 12 to delay: Money. In our case, SLU and the A-10 will be in for serious NCAA credits this year, and a double-sized exit fee. Dayton may feel the same way. But I expect Creighton has much less to lose from an early exit from the MVC, and can jump ship immediately.

Of course, this is all armchair speculation - I don't have any inside information. But it seems reasonable to me.

(PS: On a related matter, while I don't expect that all 12 members will be equal partners at first, I hope the difference is phased out over time. That could be an additional complicating factor being negotiated.)

File this away in the "no f'ing way" category, but here's what someone "heard" on the Holy land board:

"If Richmond is one of the 12 selected along with Creighton - that means either Dayton or SLU are left out. Just heard a rumor that from the meetings in Atlanta - they are looking at either Dayton or SLU to be a basketball / Olympic sports member. Seems to make sense for Dayton or SLU - as the remaining A-10 after Temple, Charlotte, X, Butler, Richmond, Dayton or SLU, and UMass all depart. The A-10's top four opponent for Dayton/SLU would be - VCU, St. Joe, Lasalle and St. Bonn. (ouch) vs UCONN, Temple, Cincy and Memphis. Dayton would bring the large fan base, Top 25 Womens Basketball / Volleyball. SLU would bring Top 25 Basketball, Soccer, Big Market and both have top notch facilities.

Looks like they would have Navy as a Football Member and Dayton / SLU providing Basketball / Olympic Sports.

Seems like either one would be a big step up for the Old Big east vs bringing in ECU's Basketball and for Both Dayton / SLU it is a much better choice than staying in the gutted A-10.

Downside for Dayton / SLU is both UCONN and Cincy WILL leave the Old Big East as soon as they get an invite.

But Rumor seems logical."

File this away in the "no f'ing way" category, but here's what someone "heard" on the Holy land board:

"If Richmond is one of the 12 selected along with Creighton - that means either Dayton or SLU are left out. Just heard a rumor that from the meetings in Atlanta - they are looking at either Dayton or SLU to be a basketball / Olympic sports member. Seems to make sense for Dayton or SLU - as the remaining A-10 after Temple, Charlotte, X, Butler, Richmond, Dayton or SLU, and UMass all depart. The A-10's top four opponent for Dayton/SLU would be - VCU, St. Joe, Lasalle and St. Bonn. (ouch) vs UCONN, Temple, Cincy and Memphis. Dayton would bring the large fan base, Top 25 Womens Basketball / Volleyball. SLU would bring Top 25 Basketball, Soccer, Big Market and both have top notch facilities.

Looks like they would have Navy as a Football Member and Dayton / SLU providing Basketball / Olympic Sports.

Seems like either one would be a big step up for the Old Big east vs bringing in ECU's Basketball and for Both Dayton / SLU it is a much better choice than staying in the gutted A-10.

Downside for Dayton / SLU is both UCONN and Cincy WILL leave the Old Big East as soon as they get an invite.

But Rumor seems logical."

Agree with you. No way SLU pays an exit fee to join that dumpster fire. SIUE would be wise to turn that "league" down.

This poster from the Holy Land board provides what I think is a good take on the situation from the TV perspective:

"While i understand that VCU has a larger student body than all the C7... no one would really consider GT, Depaul, St. Johns, Nova, Seton Hall, Providence, St. Louis , Xavier as small schools. As all these schools qualify as the primary (large) catholic school of large cities. Dayton and Creighton also appear to be in the larger category. Lets face it none of these schools are candidates for the MAAC nor NEC. That said VCU still does not fit the profile of the primary large private university of a tier 1 or tier 2 city.

And if you think Fox TV Marketing isn't number one your crazy... the C7 would not have left if they did not have a irrevocable offer from fox. Fox would not have given a irrevocable offer if they did not know the potential line up. They are not still negotiating schools. Fox isn't paying 300 million plus for 0 say. The facts are Fox and the C7 already have a deal. They just can't announce it as fox isn't official with their new sports programming. Fox does not want all eastern time zone schools. Fox also doesn't want all east coast schools. Fox has the PAC so it doesn't need west coast schools. No rational person would seriously believe that the C7 would have left the BE and Fox would have signed on to a deal if the schools to be added on weren't already basically set in stone. This isn't something that happened on a whim. Fox didn't just decide to start a new sports station. They have researched and they know what markets they want to attack. (Hint look for strong Fox regionals). This isn't something they are working on since December... you don't just jump into Billion dollar operations like that. Fox has been working on this for years. While you and i may not have been privy to it most of this stuff has been well locked up months ago. As i said before now we are just waiting until Fox makes its "official" announcement and the BE C7 separation dancing is done."

This poster from the Holy Land board provides what I think is a good take on the situation from the TV perspective:

"While i understand that VCU has a larger student body than all the C7... no one would really consider GT, Depaul, St. Johns, Nova, Seton Hall, Providence, St. Louis , Xavier as small schools. As all these schools qualify as the primary (large) catholic school of large cities. Dayton and Creighton also appear to be in the larger category. Lets face it none of these schools are candidates for the MAAC nor NEC. That said VCU still does not fit the profile of the primary large private university of a tier 1 or tier 2 city.

And if you think Fox TV Marketing isn't number one your crazy... the C7 would not have left if they did not have a irrevocable offer from fox. Fox would not have given a irrevocable offer if they did not know the potential line up. They are not still negotiating schools. Fox isn't paying 300 million plus for 0 say. The facts are Fox and the C7 already have a deal. They just can't announce it as fox isn't official with their new sports programming. Fox does not want all eastern time zone schools. Fox also doesn't want all east coast schools. Fox has the PAC so it doesn't need west coast schools. No rational person would seriously believe that the C7 would have left the BE and Fox would have signed on to a deal if the schools to be added on weren't already basically set in stone. This isn't something that happened on a whim. Fox didn't just decide to start a new sports station. They have researched and they know what markets they want to attack. (Hint look for strong Fox regionals). This isn't something they are working on since December... you don't just jump into Billion dollar operations like that. Fox has been working on this for years. While you and i may not have been privy to it most of this stuff has been well locked up months ago. As i said before now we are just waiting until Fox makes its "official" announcement and the BE C7 separation dancing is done."

-excellent first post, welcome to the Board

This topic has gotten very quiet. I would have thought this if this was going to go down tomorrow that we would have heard some credible leaks by now.

My uninformed take is that, while I don't know if we'll hear a new Big East "announcement" tomorrow or even in the next two weeks, I also haven't heard Chris May take to the newspaper and airwaves to start the "SLU will be fine regardless of whether we receive an invite" crap. If SLU did not feel reasonably good about receiving an invite to the Big East, I'm quite sure the powers-that-be at SLU would be out in force trying to prepare the masses (or at least the large donors).

I still don't get the Creighton logic ahead of us. Does Omaha have a Fox regional site? I'd think they were dependent on Fox MW. If so, we're a much bigger market and have the Cards and Rams that both have games covered on Fox. The reason that's important is Fox can use our games to build up interest in the pro games. Every network does this. It's why the networks love to get the SB, they get to provide coverage on their new shows.

Yes, I can see the draw because of their attendance, but that's it. I smell Fr. B saying we'll take the cheaper option and pass up next season. It's the only thing that makes sense. If it's true the remaining 2 will be added the second year, then all this we've talked to no one is pure BS, which we all suspected it was. There is no way on Wed they are going to surprise SLU with a "you're in too" w/o SLU's prior knowledge.

Pure speculation on my part, but when it came down to CU, SLU, and DU for that final spot in 13-14 they probably asked the schools "whose ready to jump?" CU, w/ limited exposure to exit fees, probably said "where do we sign." Fr. B may well have said, "We'll wait and save a mil." I hope not, but given he's pretty much out of touch with the reality of the sports business and very much in touch with $$$ saved, it's easy to see how he would have declined.

Let's summarize.

1. ESPN reported that X and Butler to join first and SLU, Dayton and Creighton the year after.

2. Chris May was all smiles and all "corporate" in his response -- same as the other schools such as UD, Butler and X.

3. ND is still in the mix with the Big East, as are U Conn, Cincy and South FL for the short term (a possible reason why only X and Butler are to joing right away).

4. No credible source has said that Creighton will be added along with X and Butler (and ahead of SLU and Dayton). But even assuming this as true, then buyouts, notices required to be given to A10 v. Valley, possible legal entanglements, possible threats from an existing conference and other reasons may explain why things appear uncertain and/or favoring Creighton over SLU and Dayton.

5. The date of announcment may get pushed back from Tuesday to Wednesday.

What needs to be re-released or re-leaked?? Should ESPN break this news all over again because numerous Internet posters (using alias names) post alot of garbage and speculation as fact??

Creighton puzzles me too: remote, small market. Why first in?

So try this argument. If Fox has the best offer and wants 12, they will do 12 ASAP. Presumably by this time the 12 know who they are (or someone hasn't been doing his homework), and, as always, if the job is to be done, it is best done quickly. There is only one reason for any of the 12 to delay: Money. In our case, SLU and the A-10 will be in for serious NCAA credits this year, and a double-sized exit fee. Dayton may feel the same way. But I expect Creighton has much less to lose from an early exit from the MVC, and can jump ship immediately.

Of course, this is all armchair speculation - I don't have any inside information. But it seems reasonable to me.

(PS: On a related matter, while I don't expect that all 12 members will be equal partners at first, I hope the difference is phased out over time. That could be an additional complicating factor being negotiated.)

Give Doug McDermott a swan song against some of the best opposition in the land. He's a senior next year.

. I smell Fr. B saying we'll take the cheaper option and pass up next season.

i have no problem with that if we in fact or a definite for the second year. in fact i tend to respect that we respected the bylaws of the league. now if we put our invitiation in jeopardy by waiting then that is bad. we should have taken the offer and run if that is what it took to be definitely in the league. i for one think if that was the case, if not slu, some booster would have stepped up. right doc?

Another rumor for the fire, as tweeted about 2 hours ago by Pete Thamel from SI.

"The number of C7 teams for next season -- 9, 10 or 12 -- still hasn't been decided. Creighton still percieved leader for No. 10"

He also tweeted that he didn't think an announcement would come today but maybe within a week or so.

Another rumor for the fire, as tweeted about 2 hours ago by Pete Thamel from SI.

"The number of C7 teams for next season -- 9, 10 or 12 -- still hasn't been decided. Creighton still percieved leader for No. 10"

Wow, it doesn't take much to be a journalist these days. He basically just posted as "news" that he had zero information about what was going to happen.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ACE" data-cid="349046" data-time="1362424511"><p>

This topic has gotten very quiet. I would have thought this if this was going to go down tomorrow that we would have heard some credible leaks by now.</p></blockquote>

Mark Blaudschun, the first guy to report on any if this stuff, is saying the final details of the split are still being hammered out. We may hear something tonight but it sounds like tomorrow is equally likely.

He's also saying that UConn, Cincy, and South Florida each stand to make around $25 mil from all the different exit fees coming in.

He also tweeted that he didn't think an announcement would come today but maybe within a week or so.

Like I said yesterday, the fact that the rumor mill seemed to dry up over the weekend led me to believe there was not going to be an announcement today. The longer this drags on, the more concerned I become that SLU will be crewed by some 11th hour surprise.

Pete Thamel has been more wrong about things than jerseyguy. And that's a stretch. Jerseyguy at least had friends in high places giving him UConn slanted info. Thamel must just dream up some of the he ran with.

Pete Thamel has been more wrong about things than jerseyguy. And that's a stretch. Jerseyguy at least had friends in high places giving him UConn slanted info. Thamel must just dream up some of the he ran with.

How'd that tweet a few days into this process from your guy in Peoria work out?