C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="brianstl" data-cid="347948" data-time="1362156028"><p>

Fox is paying the $$$ and will get their way to 12 teams to be able to provide programming. How screwed up would a 9 team league be for scheduling? One team would have an out of conference game or bye every game day during the season. Talk about a cluster.

you play each team twice

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mr. Wolken is telling me that bloody Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and St. John's don't see the value in SLU? Really, do they think it is still 1984. Have they bothered to check attendance and rankings lately? I wonder how much value they will see as they are watching SLU from their 17-inch Zenith picture tube sets in technicolor next month.

Brilliant Nark!

I forgot to add DePaul to the list. Nobody in Chicago cares about them. Like I said it's humorous to see these non-achieving programs get uppity during conference expansion talk, as if they have any basis to critique.

Re: scheduling in the new conference, are we sure it's going to be 12? They want an 18-game schedule right? That's a lot easier to do with 10 (9 home-and-homes) or 13 (6 home-and-homes, 6 single games) than with 12, right? If you go to divisions, you play home-and-homes with the 5 in your division and 6 single games outside, for 16 conference games. Where do the other 2 come from? No divisions, 7 home-and-homes, and four singles?

I am amused by what some are saying regarding whether we get in 2014 or 2013. Some think it is SLU's decision - it is not! It is the C7 decision. If they say SLU in 2014 then fine that is the condition to get in. They have their reasons - right or wrong - but they obviously think there is some reason for doing it this way. Perhaps we should just be happy that we get in - a week ago many of you would have taken getting in 5 years down the road just to get in but now all of a sudden waiting one year is a problem.

I am amused by what some are saying regarding whether we get in 2014 or 2013. Some think it is SLU's decision - it is not! It is the C7 decision. If they say SLU in 2014 then fine that is the condition to get in. They have their reasons - right or wrong - but they obviously think there is some reason for doing it this way. Perhaps we should just be happy that we get in - a week ago many of you would have taken getting in 5 years down the road just to get in but now all of a sudden waiting one year is a problem.

Cheez-

Never settle. Learn this rule and you might get ahead in life. Consider this free advice to you.

So Mr. Wolken is telling me that bloody Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and St. John's don't see the value in SLU? Really, do they think it is still 1984. Have they bothered to check attendance and rankings lately? I wonder how much value they will see as they are watching SLU from their 17-inch Zenith picture tube sets in technicolor next month.

I think that they do think (or wish) that it was 1984. It almost seems like they think they can dictate to Fox how this is going to go down. Did they not learn from their recent Big East history that the people spending the TV money dictate how this will go down?

When the rumors start to narrow down like this, they are more dependable. But still, who knows? With 7 Catholic Presidents, there could be a surprise or two. We are very well positioned, SLU fans just have to just hope things go well. Make or break time.

It would be a ***** if Creighton got in and not SLU, goddam MVC school, but that is impossible according all knowing broy. (incidentally, Creighton has some great chicks, a friend of mine is still in touch with a hot coed he met up there long ago).

A key moment in SLU history is coming Tuesday. If we get in for 2014 and it is announced Tuesday, fine, this will be a huge impact upgrade for us with significant upside for our program. Recruits will be SO much more attracted to SLU, and the coaching options will be improved... if we stick with Crews or if we go outside, fine.

The more I read, the more stories seem to add up that there won't be an announcement regarding the 2014 teams on Tuesday. Most sources, stories, etc are saying that there are still multiple schools under consideration for the final 2 or 3 spots. That is not good at all.

Cheez-

Never settle. Learn this rule and you might get ahead in life. Consider this free advice to you.

DR - since I don't know you and you don't know me I will refrain from responding to your "free advice". What will say is that if you are lucky enough to have accomplished what I have in my life then I would tip my hat.

<p>

The more I read, the more stories seem to add up that there won't be an announcement regarding the 2014 teams on Tuesday. Most sources, stories, etc are saying that there are still multiple schools under consideration for the final 2 or 3 spots. That is not good at all. </p>

This NY Post article just came out and sounds promising

The beast is back sooner than expected.

Sources confirmed to The Post the Catholic 7, which announced in mid-December it was withdrawing from the Big East Conference, will expand to 10 schools, adding Butler, Creighton and Xavier, and begin play next season.

The Catholic 7 also will retain the Big East name, making the reconfigured conference once again the Beast of the East. St. Louis and Dayton will join the Big East for the 2014-2015 season, said additional sources, giving the league an East and West Division.

The new Big East will be a 12-school basketball-centric conference with a heavy presence in urban markets. Based on todays rankings, the league would have four teams No. 7 Georgetown, No. 18 St. Louis, No. 20 Butler and No.22 Marquette in the Top 25.

No decision has been made yet, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco told The Post last night in a telephone interview. Ive heard reports that were going to announce something on Tuesday, which just isnt true.

Were talking and well continue to talk. This is a sensitive issue and theres a lot of moving parts. But all parties have been committed to doing this in an amicable manner and I dont see any reason why thats not going to be the case.

The Big East was looking for financial compensation to surrender the name. The price tag is unknown, but it became less of a stumbling block as the Catholic 7 zeroed in on a lucrative TV deal with Fox Sports Network.

That deal will bring each school about $3 million annually, or about twice as much as the non-FBS playing schools were making under the current deal. The Big East recently agreed to a $130 million deal over seven years with ESPN that will pay each school about half of what the Catholic 7 will get.

Sources told The Post the Garden is excited about retaining the Big East Conference Tournament. The Catholic 7 is adding three teams next year because the future of Notre Dame still needs to be clarified. Its likely the Irish would remain in the Big East next season before moving on to the ACC.

The Big East teams that are not aligned with the Catholic 7 such as Cincinnati, Connecticut and South Florida are working with marketing experts to develop a new brand name. Aresco will remain the commissioner of that league. The Catholic 7 is working with a search firm to find a commissioner and is seriously exploring moving its league office to New York.

The biggest winner in all this is Butler, which less than five years ago was an obscure member of the Horizon League and will now be a major player in the Big East. The biggest loser is Connecticut, which won three NCAA mens basketball titles as a member of the Big East only to be left out in the cold world of realignment.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/catholic_big_east_IgiXNYFgm84P9AiafuJtrO

UConn and Cincy will be fine and end up in the ACC when it's all said and done, making a lot more $$$ because of FB.

The Big Ten will poach 2-4 more teams from the ACC opening up space for them. The ACC will have to add them to keep up with the Joneses.

Adding the last two in 2014 so they can see what Notre Dame is planning to do doesn't make since unless they are hoping ND will join them on a permanent basis. Adding ND makes it far more attractive to television. If that happens we don't have a chance.

The west division would be Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, Butler, ND and X. They would go with an eastern school for the other spot and we would be left out.

Adding the last two in 2014 so they can see what Notre Dame is planning to do doesn't make since unless they are hoping ND will join them on a permanent basis. Adding ND makes it far more attractive to television. If that happens we don't have a chance.

The west division would be Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, Butler, ND and X. They would go with an eastern school for the other spot and we would be left out.

ND is not joining this conference on a permanent basis. Don't worry.

Notre Dame has no interest in joining this league permanently. There is a TON more money for them in the ACC. I'm betting that they go ahead and join the ACC in 2013.

For those of you anxious about some sort of change of heart by the new Big East after announcing two members to join in 2014, consider what happened when the Great Midwest and Metro merged to form Conference USA as the Southwest was breaking up. They didn't wait to announce that Houston was going to be joining, but a year later. When they announce SLU will join for 2014, there won't be an subsequent waffling.

As for schedule logistics with an odd number of teams, it's really no big deal. The Big Ten had 11 teams for about 20 years, and the Missouri Valley had 9 for a stretch.

Stop worrying. Dreams do come true (and you can control your nightmares).

<p>

The more I read, the more stories seem to add up that there won't be an announcement regarding the 2014 teams on Tuesday. Most sources, stories, etc are saying that there are still multiple schools under consideration for the final 2 or 3 spots. That is not good at all. </p>

This NY Post article just came out and sounds promising

The beast is back sooner than expected.

Sources confirmed to The Post the Catholic 7, which announced in mid-December it was withdrawing from the Big East Conference, will expand to 10 schools, adding Butler, Creighton and Xavier, and begin play next season.

The Catholic 7 also will retain the Big East name, making the reconfigured conference once again the Beast of the East. St. Louis and Dayton will join the Big East for the 2014-2015 season, said additional sources, giving the league an East and West Division.

The new Big East will be a 12-school basketball-centric conference with a heavy presence in urban markets. Based on todays rankings, the league would have four teams No. 7 Georgetown, No. 18 St. Louis, No. 20 Butler and No.22 Marquette in the Top 25.

No decision has been made yet, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco told The Post last night in a telephone interview. Ive heard reports that were going to announce something on Tuesday, which just isnt true.

Were talking and well continue to talk. This is a sensitive issue and theres a lot of moving parts. But all parties have been committed to doing this in an amicable manner and I dont see any reason why thats not going to be the case.

The Big East was looking for financial compensation to surrender the name. The price tag is unknown, but it became less of a stumbling block as the Catholic 7 zeroed in on a lucrative TV deal with Fox Sports Network.

That deal will bring each school about $3 million annually, or about twice as much as the non-FBS playing schools were making under the current deal. The Big East recently agreed to a $130 million deal over seven years with ESPN that will pay each school about half of what the Catholic 7 will get.

Sources told The Post the Garden is excited about retaining the Big East Conference Tournament. The Catholic 7 is adding three teams next year because the future of Notre Dame still needs to be clarified. Its likely the Irish would remain in the Big East next season before moving on to the ACC.

The Big East teams that are not aligned with the Catholic 7 such as Cincinnati, Connecticut and South Florida are working with marketing experts to develop a new brand name. Aresco will remain the commissioner of that league. The Catholic 7 is working with a search firm to find a commissioner and is seriously exploring moving its league office to New York.

The biggest winner in all this is Butler, which less than five years ago was an obscure member of the Horizon League and will now be a major player in the Big East. The biggest loser is Connecticut, which won three NCAA mens basketball titles as a member of the Big East only to be left out in the cold world of realignment.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/catholic_big_east_IgiXNYFgm84P9AiafuJtrO

something better be announced on tuesday... :/