C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

we're ranked ahead of every team in this new conference except for georgetown. unless it's SLU being stingy, the new league is going to look like a bunch of gotdamn invalids when they didn't invite the 2012-2013 NCAA champs for the first go-around.

regardless, i expect this to pan out for us. my absolute biggest concern right now is squaring away our recruiting classes for the next few years. SLU's basketball infrastructure is rock solid w/ a few key staffing decisions, and this year's team can't fuoking lose.

TO WIN:

DEFEND

REBOUND

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this realignment was going on just five years ago, I think Butler would barely be in the conversation. Funny how quickly things can change with a couple of Final Four trips. Hell, just last year Butler had an RPI over 100.

Is it your contention, Kshoe, that we're not joining next year because we don't want to pony up an extra mil to get out of the A-10 early? If this be the case and the C7 doesn't say on Tuesday that SLU and UD will come on board in '14-15, someone's head should roll for being so short sighted and miserly. They should leave nothing to chance in this deal.

My contention is that Fox Sports or the C7 has offered to pay the exit fees for Xavier and Butler because they are big names and worth the cost. They made no such offer for us and Dayton and Creighton. Creighton has no costs so they are waiting to see if they can be #10. Whether they get that invite will depend on what ND decides to do for a year.

My contention is that Fox Sports or the C7 has offered to pay the exit fees for Xavier and Butler because they are big names and worth the cost. They made no such offer for us and Dayton and Creighton. Creighton has no costs so they are waiting to see if they can be #10. Whether they get that invite will depend on what ND decides to do for a year.

If the exit fee was the only issue it would be stupid for SLU not to write the check themselves to get out of the A-10 and into the Big East right away.

Better than Hermann? I find that hard to believe. There is a reason we've hosted Final Fours. Granted, I'd say our baseball field isn't exactly Rosenblatt II, but our program is at least trending upwards.

Rosenblatt II as you call it (actually TD AmeriTrade Park) is not owned by Creighton. While it is near Creighton's campus, it is not on campus. It is owned by the City of Omaha.

Saying that Creighton has better a better baseball stadium isn't really true, they play in someone else's stadium. If SLU wanted to play home games at Busch Stadium, they could claim vast superiority to Creighton.

Guess what? They play their basketball games in the Century Link Center (also owned by...you guessed it the City of Omaha). Again CenturyLink is near, but not on campus.

Morrison Stadium (soccer) is the only one that Creighton actually owns. It is very nice and trumps the Herm, but overall I'll take the facilities that SLU owns over the facilities that Creighton owns.

If the exit fee was the only issue it would be stupid for SLU not to write the check themselves to get out of the A-10 and into the Big East right away.

I suspect the C7 schools like the idea of splitting the Fox contract 10 ways instead of 12 for at least one season.

You were the king of "everyone has to be equal" as far as payouts a month or so ago? Now, you want SLU and Dayton to cut $2mm checks just to get in a year earlier?

I'll repeat, if our name is announced on Tuesday there is no risk in being a 2014 team instead of a 2013 team. We are all going. If we aren't announced on Tuesday maybe we weren't getting an invite anyway and it has nothing to do with buyout costs...

If this realignment was going on just five years ago, I think Butler would barely be in the conversation. Funny how quickly things can change with a couple of Final Four trips. Hell, just last year Butler had an RPI over 100.

Hi. Remember me?

Love,

Marquette

The ESPN article was written by 3 people including Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil. While ESPN could certainly be wrong it's not like this is some blog where somebody is just pure speculating, they genuinely have sources that have told them this is going to happen.

It was also reported (as a fact) on multiple Sportscenters last night that SLU, Dayton, and Creighton would be joining in 2014. Sportscenter has been wrong before, but ESPN probably checks its facts and sources as well as anyone.

I suspect the C7 schools like the idea of splitting the Fox contract 10 ways instead of 12 for at least one season.

You were the king of "everyone has to be equal" as far as payouts a month or so ago? Now, you want SLU and Dayton to cut $2mm checks just to get in a year earlier?

I'll repeat, if our name is announced on Tuesday there is no risk in being a 2014 team instead of a 2013 team. We are all going. If we aren't announced on Tuesday maybe we weren't getting an invite anyway and it has nothing to do with buyout costs...

I think everything has to be equal once you are in the conference. The tv money needs to be the same for all schools with no tier set up for multiple years for select schools. Buying your way out of your current conference isn't the same thing. If we are announced Tuesday everything is cool. My fear is that we won't be announced Tuesday and the buyout is not the issue holding up further members in year one. I think we are at least going to be in limbo until July 1 and the current Big East is going to try to squeeze SLU, Dayton, Richmond, VCU, etc for economic concessions for the last spots.

It was also reported (as a fact) on multiple Sportscenters last night that SLU, Dayton, and Creighton would be joining in 2014. Sportscenter has been wrong before, but ESPN probably checks its facts and sources as well as anyone.

Just ask Lennay Kekua...

This is an all sport thing. Every one of our teams would compete in the Big East.

edit: Perhaps you mean that they are using that as a factor for selection. Other sports have little effect on that, even the big non-rev like soccer.

Butler is very small. Dayton is large as far as Catholic schools go, for example, but I don't think that should give them any advantage.

As far as rankings go, Creighton - like Xavier and Butler - falls under U.S. News' regional rankings for the Midwest. Creighton is ranked #1 in the Midwest, Butler #2 and Xavier tied for #4. Pretty impressive. I don't think SLU has any sort of academic edge over Creighton.

(BTW, Villanova is ranked #1 in the North rankings, Providence tied for #4.)

Actually, if you're going by US News ranking then SLU most definitely has an academic advantage over Creighton.

I believe the big difference between national and regional is what they offer. Regional rankings are schools that focus on undergraduate and offer few doctoral programs.

Now, you can argue these rankings all you want but looking at Creighton's US News profile, I'd say SLU and Creighton are quite distinct.

Also, on splitting up the money, it isn't just TV it is NCAA Tournament payouts. So being at 10 for a year gets the C7 a little more money.

This is a very good point. Steve. While Fox wants the league to be 12 teams eventually, the C7 can go ahead and hoard a little more money initially buy going 10 the first year and then expanding to 12 the next season.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JMM28" data-cid="347943" data-time="1362155020"><p>

What if we have a deep run this year and next year. We will lose a lot more than 1,000,000 in NCAA credits. It makes zero sense to wait. Either we are in or not.</p></blockquote>

We may lose credits earned this year in the NCAA tourney no matter what. Next year is a fair point.

Dan Wolken was just on Frank's show and said that the C7 doesn't like any of the programs besides X and Butler. The only reason why the will add more is because Fox is demanding it. Frank said someone at SLU texted him just now that he KNOWS that Fox sees the value that SLU would bring to the new Big East.

Dan Wolken was just on Frank's show and said that the C7 doesn't like any of the programs besides X and Butler. The only reason why the will add more is because Fox is demanding it. Frank said someone at SLU texted him just now that he KNOWS that Fox sees the value that SLU would bring to the new Big East.

i can't wait to tear these teams' assh0les out and have the billiken wear them on a necklace for good luck. with the buzz surrounding us getting into this conference, plus the buzz from a national championship, plus the

, if we have even a decent recruiter next year, we will rape every school in this conference. dogrape. and we won't lose otto porter types any more.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="brianstl" data-cid="347948" data-time="1362156028"><p>

Dan Wolken was just on Frank's show and said that the C7 doesn't like any of the programs besides X and Butler. The only reason why the will add more is because Fox is demanding it. Frank said someone at SLU texted him just now that he KNOWS that Fox sees the value that SLU would bring to the new Big East.</p></blockquote>

I find it humorous that schools like Seton Hall, Providence, and St. John's don't like the other programs outside of X and Butler. They have been such stalwarts in NCAA basketball the last 20 years.

Fox is paying the $$$ and will get their way to 12 teams to be able to provide programming. How screwed up would a 9 team league be for scheduling? One team would have an out of conference game or bye every game day during the season. Talk about a cluster.

So Mr. Wolken is telling me that bloody Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and St. John's don't see the value in SLU? Really, do they think it is still 1984. Have they bothered to check attendance and rankings lately? I wonder how much value they will see as they are watching SLU from their 17-inch Zenith picture tube sets in technicolor next month.