C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

Athletics in the current day are not the foundation of a university, but in many cases they are the front porch. Alumnae and other supporters of the university want this program to continue to upgrade. I feel certain that's a priority of Dr. Chaiffetz and others who help put a first class arena on campus. University fundraising will tell you that money that might be donated to the Business School will come with the good feeling folks have about the an athletic program.

That said, I think it's really important to "cash in" on this season both in terms of conference affiliation and recruiting. Big East affiliation can only help with recruiting, and there are some huge shoes leaving this spring and most of the 2013 class is done.

Good post, +1

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please ban this poster

Ban me for an opinion?

I'm right anyhow. I would way rather be the big fish in a small pond than Marquette's punching bag in the Big East. Also, I think the A10 has the potential to be better than the Big East with the addition of some extra teams.

Shoe, I have to respectfully disagree. I read the same site(s) and if who we are recrruiting against for the services of these kids is any indication, there is going to be a significant drop-off.

I hate to be chicken little during such an amazing run, but I do think that the program is heading for a cliff within two years if we do not get in the Big East

If I am remembering correctly, and maybe I'm not, but I seem to recall that when we recruited KM, DE, MM, and JJ, the lists of other schools that were interested in them weren't all that outstanding. If Crews and SLU reach an agreement for beyond this year, and Crews keeps the system the same and recruits the same sort of kids, I think we'll be fine. I'm happier with finding kids that are hard working and smart and have the potential to thrive in our system, than nabbing a bunch of four star recruits. Look where that got Kentucky this year (their one and dones suddenly become 2 and dones, 3 and dones, and 4 and dones). At this point, I may even pass on a three or four star guy if he seems like he might not want to put in the work and be smart enought to thrive in our system (anyone remember Melvin Robinson).

Ban me for an opinion?

I'm right anyhow. I would way rather be the big fish in a small pond than Marquette's punching bag in the Big East. Also, I think the A10 has the potential to be better than the Big East with the addition of some extra teams.

I'm not disagreeing that the A10 could remain strong for a couple of years, but where would these "extra teams" come from? The logical choices (Cincy, Memphis, Butler, etc.) are not leaving their respective conferences for obvious reasons. We possibly could snag George Mason, Bradley, Wichita St., but that doesn't really make the conference measurably better. Who are you referring to?

Burwell will have news in his column tomorrow AM, which may be posted online shortly after midnight.

Burwell is the king of unsubstantiated speculation. I hope he's got something remotely concrete in the column.

Agreed, but Tom Timm tweeted to look for it, so that's encouraging.

Yeah just saw that. Says stay tuned for news from Burwell and SLU/Big East. I'm sure it is more of the same...nothing concrete. My gut says we are in but nothing earth shattering from Burwell tonight/tomorrow. My gut also tells me SLU will be in the final four.

Ban me for an opinion?

Well at first I was kidding saying that you should be banned thinking maybe you were wasted after celebrating the Bills tourney run. I was hoping a couple hours of sobering up would bring you back down to reality. Apparenlty it hasn't...please ban this poster.

We've heard the leaks concerning Butler and Creighton. I wonder why no leaks have come out concerning X? Their season is now over.

Trust me, every Xavier fan is wondering the same thing. The X beat writers have been silent. A quick glance at the forums shows they don't have any links to anything we haven't already seen. They're confident they'll be going soon with Butler but no one knows anything officially and people are getting anxioius.

We've heard the leaks concerning Butler and Creighton. I wonder why no leaks have come out concerning X? Their season is now over.

Their Athletic Director was the chair of the NCAA Selection Committee. Gumbel asked him about the move on the selection show and he said he couldn't answer that because he hasn't been in the loop for the past 5 days. I'm sure that was a little bit of a fib as he surely knows what is going on but as classless as it seems for Butler to leave in the middle of the A-10 tourney it would seem even more classless for the chair of the selection committee to be focusing on switching conferences.

Given that Xavier has no post-season tournaments to focus on right now I'm sure we'll hear from them soon.

UMass board has some interesting tidbits from the meetings last week that X and Butler walked out of.

Pretty much the gist of it is that SLU and UD said they were leaving for the following season. A-10 said that SLU/UD could play A-10 teams, but they would not be conference games; and the Billikens/Flyers would be banned from the A-10 tourney as well. If that is true, I imagine SLU/UD were among the "several" that walked out of the meetings.

Would be a major bush-league move.

UMass board has some interesting tidbits from the meetings last week that X and Butler walked out of.

Pretty much the gist of it is that SLU and UD said they were leaving for the following season. A-10 said that SLU/UD could play A-10 teams, but they would not be conference games; and the Billikens/Flyers would be banned from the A-10 tourney as well. If that is true, I imagine SLU/UD were among the "several" that walked out of the meetings.

If that's true> we have to pretty much get into the NCAAs as an independent. That would be a trick. Also su^^^ since we have a nice core of seniors coming back.

WOW, and I thought Bernadette was the nice motherly type.

That is disappointing to hear, if true. The A-10 handled the Temple and Charlotte leaving fairly well and didn't try to pull any of that stuff. Of course the reason that Butler and VCU ended up joining the A-10 this year was that their conferences tried to pull the same stuff so if it leads to us getting into the Big East a year earlier I'm all for it.

I can't believe the A-10 would do that. If the deal is $1million exit fee if less than a years notice and we give them the years notice and they do that, we've got a way out of the exit fee.

The email

Dear Faculty and Staff:

Over the weekend I learned that I need to be in New York City for some important matters related to the new Big East Conference. I am therefore postponing the Spring Faculty-Staff meeting to next Wednesday, March 27th, at 3:30 PM, in ’64 Hall. I look forward to sharing with you then the bright future of our athletic programs. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Father Shanley