Kalen Grimes's Status

Jason Whitlock wrote the following in the Kansas-City Star tonight:

"Harvey has just one legitimate hope at survival: Mizzou's top-flight, 2004 recruiting class would have to revolt or complain loudly."

“It will be very disheartening to Kalen if coach Harvey isn't there,” said Glenda Grimes, mother of St. Louis recruit Kalen Grimes, when I told her Tuesday that Harvey might be out. “We had developed a strong relationship with him."

Technically, with Liddell going to prep school, we have one scholarhip remaining. As long as one of the three scholarships for next year is reserved for Tommie (one is already being held for Lisch), I am sure he would have no problem if we used his current scholarship for Kalen.

It would be Brad's and his staff's responsibility to determine whether Kalen has the right attitude and committment to improve. I wouldn't write him off merely because he felt a bond with Harvey.

i have seen grimes many times since his freshman season on. i can say without a doubt he has a bigtime body. that said, i have seen 6'2" high school centers outplay him more times than not. i have also seen moments where he used his godgiven body to just look marvelous.

i can tell you that last year when i watched him on the eagles, there were two other inside players far better than him. i would have grabbed of course tyler hansborough or matt shaw in a second if offered a choice. hansborough of course is a given. but there is no way that matt shaw should be better than kalen grimes if you saw the two of them standing together.

i am sure every college coach thinks they can "unlock" that potential. second, the billikens dont really have a given at the future for power forward. but that said, i just am not excited about kalen grimes. never have. i hope for kalen's sake, he proves me wrong.

I have only seen Kalen play once--at the shootout last December. During those thirty plus mintues of action Kalen looked like a baby Shaq. I understand that his performance at the shootout may have been an anomoly, but from what I saw the upside is huge.

tatum was always more agressive than grimes. if grimes turns out better than tatum i will be surprised. grimes body is as big right now as tatum was as a senior at slu.

I have seen Grimes a couple of times so I may not have a strong basis to make this statement but if people think JJ had problems with commitment to hard work and consistency, Grimes has a complete aversion to those ideas.

I think all of you guys are crazy. Here is an 18 year old kid with an NBA body with flashes of great talent. Everybody on this board thinks Brad is the greatest coach this side of Phil Jackson and you wouldn't want to give him a chance with this kid. As I said you guys are crazy.

I agree, Willie. I have seen Grimes play at least a dozen times beginning with his Freshman year at Hazelwood Central. I thought he was the most overrated player I ever saw - until his senior year. I think the light bulb finally came on and he started playing like he should have been all along. His upside is huge and if he decided he wanted to grace the West Pine gym everyday with his presence, I'd take him in a minute.

if our choice is nothing or grimes as a true pf, i would take grimes as well. but if we have other options that have already demonstrated more desire and at least nearly like physical attributes, i would probably opt for the other.

for example, as i have said all winter, if my choices were shaw or grimes, i would take shaw in a second. but if you did not know who was who and just looked at their physical outlines, no one in their right mind would take shaw over grimes.

If Grimes can a) get his release from SPUMAC and B) would be eligible from an acadmemic standpoint then I would take him in a NY minute and I haven't seen the kid play 1 minute but have all the faith that Coach Soderberg would make him a good player.

however, johnson came to mi$$ouri as an overweight underachiever and snyder was in charge of that transformation. on a different thread you yourself all but claim johnson to be the next karl malone. so if i was grimes and have seen what a worm to a butterfly job mi$$ouri did on johnson, i too would have given high marks for that example.