Rammer and the Ref at VCU Game

SluBallz

Did any else notice the ref at the VCU game give it to Rammer towards the end of the game? The taller one with hair, made a bad call to the sideline ref then ran over to Rammer to tell him to cool it. He seemed to try to get VCU back in the game with how he was calling the game.

Never seen a ref loose it to an radio personality before. This guy was a joke and was a ref during the Rhode Island game.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did any else notice the ref at the VCU game give it to Rammer towards the end of the game? The taller one with hair, made a bad call to the sideline ref then ran over to Rammer to tell him to cool it. He seemed to try to get VCU back in the game with how he was calling the game.

Never seen a ref loose it to an radio personality before. This guy was a joke and was a ref during the Rhode Island game.

Rammer showed great restraint in not beating the hell out of him.

Yep. He was ready to T up Rammer. That is a pretty thin skinned official. I don't know that someone with that level of maturity should be officiating college basketball games. Really, it was kind of sad.

As noted in other threads:

1) Game replay at 2 p.m tomorrow on CBSSN.

2) Somebody needs to capture that moment and send it to the league office. That guy should never again ref at the 'Fetz.

3) If he does, I will entrust the Shoes to hammer him from the time he shows up on the court until the inevitable dousing with beer as he tries to escape it.

Definitely gave a stiff arm with a hand to the face of Rammer. I assume it had to be his normal "That is the worst call I have ever seen" line on a pretty touchy foul out top. The ref did proceed to call 3 in a row on us. One of which was from the other side of the court if I remember correctly...while another official directly over the play didn't blow the whistle.

Definitely gave a stiff arm with a hand to the face of Rammer. I assume it had to be his normal "That is the worst call I have ever seen" line on a pretty touchy foul out top. The ref did proceed to call 3 in a row on us. One of which was from the other side of the court if I remember correctly...while another official directly over the play didn't blow the whistle.

Yep. Called that on Evans when he was on the other sideline. Have no idea how or why he felt he was in any position to call a foul in that instance. It takes a lot as a ref to get the crowd to loudly boo you when the home team is up by 20 with 4 minutes left to play.

Actually it was a pretty restrained call from Rammer. He just called it a "cheap foul" with an even tone. Then next thing you hear is some jawing from the ref and Rammer telling him, "No, I'm doing a broadcast here!"

Ben W also tweeted something about a ref yelling back at some fans who were heckling him. Very unprofessional.

Those bad calls at the end smelled like classic "even out the fouls" type calls at the end of the game. I suspect rammer called it as such and he must have overheard him.

The ref that made those calls and got into it with rammer is a regular and often does bigger games. I'm surprised he was so bad tonight.

I was listening online and Rammer said with emphasis "That's a horrible call" and obviously the ref heard him. I've often wondered if the refs can hear him when goes off on the "horrible call" and "that's the worst call I've ever seen" blasts. Guess some of them do.

I was listening online and Rammer said with emphasis "That's a horrible call" and obviously the ref heard him. I've often wondered if the refs can hear him when goes off on the "horrible call" and "that's the worst call I've ever seen" blasts. Guess some of them do.

And it's their job not to react. That ref should be removed from consideration from all future games at the 'Fetz, and SLU should protest his ability ever again to ref any contest in which it takes part.

It was very late in the 2nd half, probably not more than 4 or 5 minutes if that.

So I watched when you were stating on my DVR recording, right on the moment where the crowd are booing the refs for that awful call on Evans during the time frame you are stating the camera pans away from the press table on zooms in on both teams' huddles.

It would be hard to pin down video of the refs freaking out from the television broadcast.

Also, I had to watch until the end of the game again. What a sweet, sweet victory.

ANOTHER BEER PLEASE!

So I watched when you were stating on my DVR recording, right on the moment where the crowd are booing the refs for that awful call on Evans during the time frame you are stating the camera pans away from the press table on zooms in on both teams' huddles.

It would be hard to pin down video of the refs freaking out from the television broadcast.

Also, I had to watch until the end of the game again. What a sweet, sweet victory.

ANOTHER BEER PLEASE!

Pretty sure it was before the Evans call. But maybe I'm mistaken. I think it was on McCall and it was right in front of the scorers table on the left side near mid-court. Maybe when McCall had just about made a steal??? Don't remember for sure. But it was around that 4 minute mark left in the game I think. I have it DVR'd and was going to watch the game again some time to check.

The official's name is Bo Boroski, and he does indeed do big games. Big Ten guy.

If Rammer made a physical gesture, etc, then he's in the wrong because he's at the table. The table is for workers, not fans. If it was simply his voice/volume, that's different. I'm not saying he should've stop signed Rammer, though. A more subtle approach, perhaps during the next time out.

As for the "he was on the other side of the court/too far to make the call", that is wrong. Remekun was holding the VCU player's right side, while the nearest official was just to the VCU player's left side. He couldn't see it, and Boroski could. You are supposed to look through and make that call. And it was the correct call.

Proximity often does not lend to the best angle, especially when the players are of D-I size.

I did see Boroski say something to a fan just a couple rows back of the table, and that surprised me. Big no-no. Eject him (if deserving) or ignore him. The fan and his friends got the biggest kick out of Boroski's acknowledgment--which is likely what they wanted.

As a SLU fan, I thought we benefitted from the way the game was called. VCU was guilty on most, in my opinion, but I've got to think they've been allowed to play rougher before. Shaka sure seemed to think so as he pleaded for much of the first half, and during time outs.

What an effort by the Billikens.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/bo-boroski

The official's name is Bo Boroski, and he does indeed do big games. Big Ten guy.

If Rammer made a physical gesture, etc, then he's in the wrong because he's at the table. The table is for workers, not fans. If it was simply his voice/volume, that's different. I'm not saying he should've stop signed Rammer, though. A more subtle approach, perhaps during the next time out.

As for the "he was on the other side of the court/too far to make the call", that is wrong. Remekun was holding the VCU player's right side, while the nearest official was just to the VCU player's left side. He couldn't see it, and Boroski could. You are supposed to look through and make that call. And it was the correct call.

Proximity often does not lend to the best angle, especially when the players are of D-I size.

I did see Boroski say something to a fan just a couple rows back of the table, and that surprised me. Big no-no. Eject him (if deserving) or ignore him. The fan and his friends got the biggest kick out of Boroski's acknowledgment--which is likely what they wanted.

As a SLU fan, I thought we benefitted from the way the game was called. VCU was guilty on most, in my opinion, but I've got to think they've been allowed to play rougher before. Shaka sure seemed to think so as he pleaded for much of the first half, and during time outs.

What an effort by the Billikens.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/bo-boroski

I thought the foul in question was called on Evans. If so, no way that ref across the court had a better view of evans than the closer ref.

I don't think the refs were any more favorable for us than they were for VCU. They mugged our guards all night long. You could have called a foul on them every time we brought it down the court.

Those bad calls at the end smelled like classic "even out the fouls" type calls at the end of the game. I suspect rammer called it as such and he must have overheard him.

The ref that made those calls and got into it with rammer is a regular and often does bigger games. I'm surprised he was so bad tonight.

That is exactly what I was thinking after the second awful call. That ref was a joke for the last 8 minutes.

I'm not saying more favorable to SLU, just favorable relative to the way VCU plays. I don't think the refs held us back one bit--we destroyed a very good team. We shot 23 FTs. I was pleased.

Late, Kwamain was trapped in the backcourt, and he basically threw his body into the trap in an effort to split it (I suppose). Kwam fell, VCU tied it up for a jump ball, and the place went crazy (on the refs/no call). Those are the sorts of plays where I cringe, but fans will be fans.

I may have Remekun and Evans mixed up--not sure (Insert Guy reference). It was near the CBS table, on the student section side of half court. I want to say VCU was ball screening and Cory/Dwayne/Dwight grabbed the would-be screener.

I'm not saying more favorable to SLU, just favorable relative to the way VCU plays. I don't think the refs held us back one bit--we destroyed a very good team. We shot 23 FTs. I was pleased.

Late, Kwamain was trapped in the backcourt, and he basically threw his body into the trap in an effort to split it (I suppose). Kwam fell, VCU tied it up for a jump ball, and the place went crazy (on the refs/no call). Those are the sorts of plays where I cringe, but fans will be fans.

I may have Remekun and Evans mixed up--not sure (Insert Guy reference). It was near the CBS table, on the student section side of half court. I want to say VCU was ball screening and Cory/Dwayne/Dwight grabbed the would-be screener.

Overall, I think the refs were fine. A couple of weird calls and as you say fans will be fans. I don't remember the fans reacting all that bad to the Kwam splitting the double team no call. That was not a smart play by Kwam. The two that stick out in my head were the fans really reacted: one in front of the scorers table that I believe Rammer reacted to. The other was on the charge call on Evans. Pretty sure you are right on the foul on Remekun. I think that is just the frustrating one when an official is right on top of the play and doesn't call it, but the one 60ft away makes the call. Very well may have been correct. Long story short, I didn't feel the refs had a huge impact either way on the game which was good.

I've never seen a better group at taking charges than this current SLU team.

Loads of credit to the coaches, past and present. Remember the pre-charge taking defensive days of a current blue haired Billiken? That's great coaching. (And cognizant officiating too)

That said, it amazes me how many college players jump to pass, fail to jump stop, fail to jump vertically...we religiously prey on bad fundamentals. A joy to watch.

My take is the refs didnt know which way to call the game. At times they were making ticky tack calls; then next missing the thuggery that was sometimes at play.

I was a bit dissapointed we had some difficulty with the pick and roll in the paint, that gave their big man an open lane to the hoop. It happened in the Butler game as well. Im sure they work on this and will get better.

I was also impressed with the depth of VCU's bench, as I am with ours.

Great win