MVP

moytoy12

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a week between games is brutal. To kill the time, who would you choose as the Billikens' MVP thus far? Lots of choices as many guys have stepped up at different times.

At this point, I have to go with JJ with DE close behind.

I have to go with JJ and DE Tie give it to both of them!

I think Jett has been the most consistent. Let's also not forget Cody, who has also been pretty consistent and really made great strides with his defense and doing the "little things." He seems to have become the vocal leader - not to Conklin's level, but he has added some of that leadership. Evans has really come on strong and may be my choice by the time the season is over, but not yet. He had too many games early in the season where he wasn't much of a factor (DE, if you are reading this, take this as your cue to just go out and dominate the rest of the way).

DE leads the team in scoring, leads in rebounding, leads in player efficiency, leads in defensive rebounding parcentage, leads in rebounding percentage, leads in offensive win share, leads in defensive win share, leads in win share, leads in points produced, leads in usage rating, leads in defensive rating, is second in offensive rating to Ellis, and is second in total shooting percentage to Corey. Dwayne is the clear cut MVP.

Sorry ... can't select one. Much like we have no one in the lead in any statistical categories right now in the A10. Key example : Fordham. CE goes ballistic in first half; allowing DE to dominate paint in second. The rise of the team's total defense also suggests a collective effort rather than an indivudal one. For those selecting names, I have no argument with any. I just can't make one sole determination.

If forced, it would be a vote teetering between CE, DE and JJ. And based on the last few games, DE is coming on fast down the stretch. Imagine if MM and KM enter this discussion.

DE leads the team in scoring, leads in rebounding, leads in player efficiency, leads in defensive rebounding parcentage, leads in rebounding percentage, leads in offensive win share, leads in defensive win share, leads in win share, leads in points produced, leads in usage rating, leads in defensive rating, is second in offensive rating to Ellis, and is second in total shooting percentage to Corey. Dwayne is the clear cut MVP.

There certainly is a strong case for DE, just not sure it is clear cut. It's a good problem to have when you have to decide between 2-4 players for MVP.

There certainly is a strong case for DE, just not sure it is clear cut. It's a good problem to have when you have to decide between 2-4 players for MVP.

I didn't think it was clear cut until I looked at the numbers. I don't have the time to go back in research it, but there is a good chance nobody has led the team in all of those categories since Bonner.

The whole damn team. This isn't about one or two guys but who happens to step up on any given night. We've seen it from just about everyone who's in the 9-10 man rotation. The only exceptions being JM and JB, although JB had those two steals that got us going in one game. I'm totally impressed how unselfish this team plays and how hard they go at it on the defensive end. I wished they had scheduled a weak non con this week just to keep them game sharp. Charlotte's all of a sudden a very scary team. I haven't seen them play, but am guessing they got some athletes and those types always give us trouble. Now's not the time for a let down, but rather go for the jugular. We can put some space between us, VCU, and Butler over the next 3 games. But one at a time, so let's concentrate on beating the 'Niners this Saturday. I expect MM and KM to have some games before all is said and done. Right now MM seems to have a bit of the KC mentality and I hate to see him lose that 3 pt confidence he showed us early in the year. KM will continue to get better. That 3 at the end of the 1st half against Richmond was a big shot.

i think it is hard to pick a team mvp thus far. they have all had moments. prior to mitchell returning, mccall was just splendid imo. now imo he has tailed off since then offensively, but his defense has actually gotten better.

while jett and evans have had some great games, they have also had some sucky games. jett had a horrible defensive game vs santa clara. and i remember thinking that evans seemed to be sleep walking on offense that night as opposed to his normal shaft like night.

you could probably look at rhode island the same way for both. yet most of the other games, the two of them have just been stellar.

mitchell has no doubt been a floor leader since coming back and he did have the one game where he was just spectacular scoring.

while loe has been much better since the conference season started, he was not good in the non-conference games.

imo though, the thunderbolt on this team is ellis. ellis is the man that has stepped up his overall game far beyond what i expected this year and seems to be the guy that makes the one or two or three plays not forseen that inspires the team, and the crowd to go on to victories. i have always seen him as a soft sniper. but his defense and rebounding is fantastic compared to expectations. we now expect 2-3 charges to get called in his favor every night (think about that. most players are lucky to draw 2-3 charges a year, he is doing that every game!), and he is still that sniper that makes for a difficult matchup every game.

jett, mccall, and evans are still my favorite players, but i vote for cody ellis as team mvp this year thus far.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billiken_roy" data-cid="342696" data-time="1360859568"><p>

i think it is hard to pick a team mvp thus far. they have all had moments. prior to mitchell returning, mccall was just splendid imo. now imo he has tailed off since then offensively, but his defense has actually gotten better. <br />

<br />

while jett and evans have had some great games, they have also had some sucky games. jett had a horrible defensive game vs santa clara. and i remember thinking that evans seemed to be sleep walking on offense that night as opposed to his normal shaft like night. <br />

<br />

you could probably look at rhode island the same way for both. yet most of the other games, the two of them have just been stellar.<br />

<br />

mitchell has no doubt been a floor leader since coming back and he did have the one game where he was just spectacular scoring. <br />

<br />

while loe has been much better since the conference season started, he was not good in the non-conference games.<br />

<br />

imo though, the thunderbolt on this team is ellis. ellis is the man that has stepped up his overall game far beyond what i expected this year and seems to be the guy that makes the one or two or three plays not forseen that inspires the team, and the crowd to go on to victories. i have always seen him as a soft sniper. but his defense and rebounding is fantastic compared to expectations. we now expect 2-3 charges to get called in his favor every night (think about that. most players are lucky to draw 2-3 charges a year, he is doing that every game!), and he is still that sniper that makes for a difficult matchup every game. <br />

<br />

jett, mccall, and evans are still my favorite players, but i vote for cody ellis as team mvp this year thus far. </p></blockquote>

Good stuff, Roy.