Doug Woolard

Doug now joins other top athletic administrators on the BCS football circuit. With his huge increase in pay comes a huge increase in headaches. Good luck Doug, and keep your hands off of SLU's bball coach!

Hopefully, other young assistant AD's at major universities will see the successful career paths of Debbie Yow and Doug Woolard and will give SLU some serious consideration.

I will add my congrats to Doug Woolard, and just today they ran an article about the new athletic complex at USF. He already has one of the brightest young HC's in college football in Jim Leavitt. The basketball HC is new on the job and needs at least 3 years to try and turn the program around, as Greenberg was a joke of a HC IMHO.

As to SLU, they should see if the Jon Oliver would be interested, as I know that many of the folks at USF were very impressed with him. He was very high energy and enthusiastic on his interviews according to what I read.

I agree congratulations to Doug on his new position.

With that said, I myself am not upset about Woolard leaving. He's done some good things like hiring Brad and Dan Donigan, moves into C-USA and the A-10, plus SLU's student-athletes have garnered many honors under his watch, but as a Band member I feel that he hasn't supported us in the way he should.

I believe that I read that one of the candidates for the USF job was the Assistant AD in charge of Marketing at Michigan State. I would like to see us bring in a guy who is big into marketing and publicizing SLU Athletics.

>>I believe that I read that one of the candidates for the USF job was the Assistant AD in charge of Marketing at Michigan State. I would like to see us bring in a guy who is big into marketing and publicizing SLU Athletics.<<

Good point! All the heavy strategic decisions have been completed for the near term. What we need now is a high energy guy who shall pay attention to the details and bring enthusiasm back to the program. Brad is doing his job, our AD needs to pull his or her oars on the marketing ship.

i echo kshoe's thoughts. doug was always very personable and available to me. i wish him luck and i am envious of his "retirement" job in sunny tampa.

i want a strong leader that will continue to advance ALL sports programs, maintain a high level of academic goals and of course want to win. is that asking much?

Roy, I think your guy is Jon Oliver, the Assistant AD at Virginia, who was the other finalist at USF. The article linked below mentions that Oliver believes that strong academics are absolutely mandatory as well as having a clean program. It also doesn't hurt that Virginia is in the process of building a new basketball arena and Oliver led the design and construction team, as well as secured a $7.5 million donation for an electronic scoreboard.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGAFDN5HTTD.html

Come on Fr. Biondi(or whoever else would be involved in this process), get on the horn and talk to Mr. Oliver.

I am very happy for Doug and USF. He will finally be back in the situation where football is a major player in the AD portfolio, and he will see a good bump in pay and prestige. It doesn't hurt to worry about the cold snap in winter, when the thermometer pluges into the fifties or sixties!

I hope the search committee calls Debbie Yow and inquires as to who she would refer, as well as Doug and a few other respected ADs. We don't need a "me-too" search, we need to independantly identify candidates that can work well within our established guidelines and projected revenue streams.

The candidates will break down into two pools - a gray headed, been there and done that section, and a young bucks chomping at the bit section. We need someone who has significant depth in marketing and university placement, and someone who can bring in a construction assistant to keep tabs on the arena project. I would prefer fresh blood because it is much easier to crack heads when you are not part of an established team, or friends with the construction players.

Again, good job Doug! We wish you the best, and we appreciate your years of dedicated service to SLU!

I think you make a good point about calling Debbie Yow. She would have a good feel for who would be a good fit for SLU."good better best,never let it rest,untill your good becomes your better and your better becomes your best"

Once Woolard was named a candidate, I followed the USF search process thru the online Tampa Tribune. It appears that Oliver made a great impression on everyone in the USF community, except the university president. When Oliver didn't get an offer over the weekend, and when the university president talked about having a second round of telephone interviews, Oliver realized that he was "NOT" going to get that offer and bailed out. Evidently, Woolard's broad experience and low key personality is what the university president felt more comfortable with. Such is life!

>When Oliver didn't get an offer over the weekend, and when the

>university president talked about having a second round of

>telephone interviews, Oliver realized that he was going to

>get that offer and bailed out.

Did you mean to says "when Oliver realized he was not going to get the offer?" Other wise it seems strange that he would withdraw because he actually believed he was going to get the offer.