Another nice article from Strauss

brianstl

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strauss' style is not for everyone, particularly if you follow his twitter account, but if you aren't one of those super sensitive types that takes offense to every sarcastic comment, he's a pretty good read/follow.

There is no doubt in my mind that his love for VCU makes him enjoy the A-10 more and in turn have an appreciation for SLU.

Cannot help but admire Crews outlook, "about these players not about him".

I remember the video of the NCAA selection party last year, players were hype, them the coaches mingled through, Crews really seemed to respond to the players and vice versa. Completely different relationship than they had with Majerus.

Expect the Crews good vibes to continue until the coaching situation is finally resolved. Again, we are riding high and all the talking heads are pushing for it. I have no issues with that and expect it. I expect it to either rise even higher in volume or turn based on whatever happens in this closing A10 run. Tough schedule coming. Discussing the coaching situation would be an unnecessary distraction. Let's let it play out.

Much has been discussed about Crew's on this board, but you have to wonder if he is changing the style of play. Sure the base offense is there, but this is not the same team we have watched the past few years. First off all, defense. We've always been a great defensive team, but we did not take risks and we did not generate a lot of steals/fast breaks. We've seen more of that the past 5 games than we have the previous 20. Secondly it is the pace of play. It's been brought up already, but we are taking shots much earlier in the shot clock. How many times has our shot gone up in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock? It sure seems like that isn't happening much at all anymore.

Bottom line is that from my view in Nashville, the two above have been the major reasons for this new streak and identity. I've long thought that our biggest problem was confidence. When you are playing slow, every shot counts. Then, every miss is amplified. By increasing the possessions, pumping the guys up by allowing defensive risks to generate turnovers, and the overall "loose" feeling of the team.....I feel we are much different than under Majerus. I have to credit Crews with some good coaching tactics and using his team the way it should be. All this happened after the low point against RI. I bet Crews came in and said..."change of plans". It's sure been fun to watch...

We all respect the job he is doing but we have to remember that he is doing so with Majerus recruits.

I am sorry but even if they run the table and make a sweet 16 type run I am not comfortable handing the reigns to a guy who was let go at Army under suspicious circumstances and was 22-76 in the Patriot League

Much has been discussed about Crew's on this board, but you have to wonder if he is changing the style of play. Sure the base offense is there, but this is not the same team we have watched the past few years. First off all, defense. We've always been a great defensive team, but we did not take risks and we did not generate a lot of steals/fast breaks. We've seen more of that the past 5 games than we have the previous 20. Secondly it is the pace of play. It's been brought up already, but we are taking shots much earlier in the shot clock. How many times has our shot gone up in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock? It sure seems like that isn't happening much at all anymore.

Bottom line is that from my view in Nashville, the two above have been the major reasons for this new streak and identity. I've long thought that our biggest problem was confidence. When you are playing slow, every shot counts. Then, every miss is amplified. By increasing the possessions, pumping the guys up by allowing defensive risks to generate turnovers, and the overall "loose" feeling of the team.....I feel we are much different than under Majerus. I have to credit Crews with some good coaching tactics and using his team the way it should be. All this happened after the low point against RI. I bet Crews came in and said..."change of plans". It's sure been fun to watch...

good points. honestly, if he were to have any shot of getting good recruits, he'd have to make our style of play a bit more appealing. that's one thing that mizzou has gotten right. everybody likes steals, which ultimately lead to dunks. it's a good sell to freshman hot shots, too, that "hey, i'm telling you right now, you're not going to start right away, but our rotation is so deep, and we play with such intensity, if you hustle and play D, you'll get plenty of minutes." sadly, it's also not real blingy for your team to have five or six guys scoring 8-10 points per game. 3 guys scoring 15 per game, w/ another 3-4 at 6-8 points, yes. you start getting higher scores, more players of the week, etc. and suddenly the name SLU is out there more.

if we finish strong, and make a good showing in the tournament, playing a bit more uptempo crews basketball, i'm actually alright w/ him staying on. i've got to thing back to back NCAA appearances, combined w/ our immaculate facilities, burgeoning fanbase, crews' ties to majerus and potentially, the C7, he might actually be able to get some recruiting done. but man, we need a slick gunslinger assistant in addition to be a maniac out there for us. would be nice to get coach harry back here.

Despite the fact that some on this board think he isn't playing up to his potential, I was disappointed to read that RL is going to graduate this year.

Whoa. Does this mean he might not be back?

There is no doubt Crews has put his mark on this team. The numbers show we are playing at a faster pace and a pace that has gone up pretty dramatically since the Rhode Island game. We still play at a slow pace, but we don't play at a snail's pace anymore.

I will also confirm from discussions with some players what has been reported: the ones I've talked to all like playing for Crews and are believers. I think his Coach Knight link is also pretty impressive for them...

And honestly, with or without Coach Majerus, they are playing about as well as I remember in 15 years right now at least.

btw how has Army been doing lately? the Army website is raving due to the fact that Coach Spiker (before an assistant at Cornell) was able to win 37 games in his first 3 years. the bar is set pretty low out there.... and why?

I'm no expert, but it is plausible to claim that recruiting Div. I basketball talent to West Point might be a bit of a problem...

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread -- IF we put together a serious run, why do you fire the guy?? because he did not do well at Army? ? ?

IF we run the table.... Put me in the camp to hire Crews for the next 5 years

Even with one more loss with an impressive showing in Brooklyn and a trip to thee Dance, he'll have a job offer.

Wolf mentioned in the Fordham broadcast that its a different Jim Crews from 10 or 20 years ago and that he is mellowing. Yea, who would not have fun coaching this team.

Will see, he may not want it.

JC deserves his props for the job he's doing this season. This was a tough situation to walk into. That said, it's 35% x's and o's, the other 65% is recruiting. No doubt with the interim tag it's difficult for him to approach/sell recruits, ie hey I like the guy but will he be there?

As for the way the team is playing right now, yes, we have upped the pace and it's fun to watch. What's more fun is that we're clobbering people at the same time.