Andy Katz blog excerpt on C7 possibility

kappy96

Don't neccessarily like his tone :)

Villanova coach Jay Wright said on the podcast that the toughest part of the potential Big East seven split is not knowing what the nonconference schedule will be like for the next two seasons. The Wildcats have traditionally played Temple in the Big Five as a nonconference game. Unless the seven somehow leave early next season, the two teams will play a conference game or two against each other. But Wright said he's not sure, so the schedule will still be an unknown in February -- whereas in years past it would have been done already. Villanova knows who its six other conference members will be, but the seven will likely bump to 10 whenever it forms a new league. The top two choices will be Xavier and Butler out of the A-10. Questions remain about the third. The seven is likely going to stay private, and not necessarily Catholic. The question will be does the league go south or further west? Don't be surprised if Georgetown influences the decision and tries to get Richmond -- a scholarly school that has a decent hoop tradition and is geographically close enough to the others.

In reality, one has to wonder what stance ESPN has on all of this. On the business side, they are losing a conference that it has supported for quite some time. Now, the new kid in town (Fox) is pretty much dictating how this conference shapes up....if the rumors are true. Obviously, Fox seems to have a goal of competing head to head with ESPN....with what one would assume is a desire to surpass it. One has got to think that the masterminds at ESPN may have something up there sleeve in regard to the journalism they are putting out there in regard to this whole thing...

I understand why Katz wants to pump up what a coach is saying, as that's his niche, but what coaches want and say has very little to do with what the university presidents want to do. The coaches don't have a vote, and the presidents and boards aren't likely going to solicit the coaches' input, unless it's to make them feel like they matter (but they'll base their decisions on the $$).

I understand why Katz wants to pump up what a coach is saying, as that's his niche, but what coaches want and say has very little to do with what the university presidents want to do. The coaches don't have a vote, and the presidents and boards aren't likely going to solicit the coaches' input, unless it's to make them feel like they matter (but they'll base their decisions on the $$).

Further to your point, is Jay Wright even going to be around?

I'm not even sure what in that blog was being said by Jay Wright and what was Katz just guessing. I mean, I can't imagine Jay Wright is bringing up Richmond in his talk with Katz.

I like the talk of Richmond snd I think it is good news for SLU if it is accurate. It means they are adding an east coast team which only makes sence if they are putting together a 12 team leauge. Richmond makes for a good 6 team east coast division with easy all sports travel and it would balance out the 6 midwest teams that would also have easy all sports travel. It would allow midwest schools of Marquett, Depaul, Xavier, Butler, SLU and Dayton.

Creighton is probably on the out side because it is farther west than they have to go for a quality team. It could easily be considered in a 14 team league with the addition of another east coast team.

Georgetown could be advocating that Richmond be included in order to form a new 1-AA Football Conference. Villanova, Georgetown, Dayton, Xavier, and Butler all have 1AA programs. Richmond would make a 6th team. The travel to Richmond would be easy (and cheap) for G-town. Also, the TV deal could televise a few of these football games to sweeten the deal for the network...

Georgetown likes its football program. Unlike basketball, its football stadium is located on campus and numerous events (alumni parties, homecoming, etc) are scheduled around these games. Plus, it generates concession revenue for the athletic department. If G'town expects this new conference to last a while it seems logical to want to forge rivalries (and thus interest) with a core group of schools.

Georgetown could be advocating that Richmond be included in order to form a new 1-AA Football Conference. Villanova, Georgetown, Dayton, Xavier, and Butler all have 1AA programs. Richmond would make a 6th team. The travel to Richmond would be easy (and cheap) for G-town. Also, the TV deal could televise a few of these football games to sweeten the deal for the network...

Dayton & Butler are in the same football conference as Valpo, the Pioneer Football League. The PFL is 1-AA Non-Scholarship which is generally the equivalent of Div.III.

Here's the football club at Xavier: http://www.xavier.edu/clubsports/football/index.cfm

Bring back Billiken Club Football! For my first two years at SLU we had it and we were pretty good. Had a kid at QB called Hartman (?), who I think played for SLU High, who was a pretty good passer. Pretty sure in 1969 we were undefeated and played about 6 or 7 games. Can't remember all the teams we played, but I believe Sienna and St. Peters were two of them. I think it ended after the 1970 season. For the life of me, I can't figure out why we don't have a minor football program. I think we've got like the 3-4 largest endowment of Catholic Schools yet we can't fund a small program like X or Dayton?

Dayton & Butler are in the same football conference as Valpo, the Pioneer Football League. The PFL is 1-AA Non-Scholarship which is generally the equivalent of Div.III.

Here's the football club at Xavier: http://www.xavier.edu/clubsports/football/index.cfm

I went to a Butler football game this year. They were not very good (poor special teams) but despite the game being at Dartmouth (NH) they had a lot of fans there.

Saint Louis University and the management of a major college athletic department do not seem to go hand-in-hand. Giving them reason or another sport to mismanage seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me. In my time, basketball was a nomadic gypsy -- going from old Kiel, to the Checkerdome/Arena, back to Kiel, to Savvis, wit a few games at West Pine until finally getting manna from heaven (or Dr. Chaifetz) and having an on-campus home. There was even talk of downgrading it right after the Ekker Fiasco. A successful hockey program was killed my senior year. The hotbed of American soccer, St. Louis, has been alienated to where a once dominant program is now an after thought. Baseball was always undersupported. Field hockey hadn't won ever. Woman's soccer hasn't taken off. Volleyball? Was that there in the late 70's?

Let's see if we can manage what we have before advocating another sport. Especially with an administartion that does not seem particularly keen on making any sport a priority.