Rumor, not sure if reliable......... Crews

brianstl

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't go jumping off a ledge if Crews is retained as head coach as long as we have a great recruiter as his top assistant Many have pointed out before that it is more about the support the university give the program then the head coach (unless the coach is phenomenal). If he gets the right people around him, Crews will be fine. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he can succeed in the right circumstances.

The more I think about this, the more I can't believe it is true.

Chaifetz was on the Bloomberg thing talking about winning national championships.

Crews has had a terribly mediocre year so far when considering the expectations for this team. Why would he get an extension after beating a bad Dayton team and an okay Butler team at home (Kenpom has them below us at this point)? Especially after losing to URI at home as well.

Why would SLU commit now when there is absolutely no reason to do so. Any sort of recruiting isnt going to be helped by Crews being locked in February vs. March.

Also - why wouldn't they wait to see how the conference shift plays out. The level of candidates would be drastically different between a bad A10 vs. a good C7.

Not saying this is true or that giving Crews the job is a good idea, but if you're going to do it, then you should do it sooner vs. later. The sooner you remove the interim tag, the sooner he can go out and recruit with certainty, etc.

Again, not saying I want Crews to be hired full time, but there is plenty of reason to do it now.

Broy - your hatred toward any coach not named soderberg has been old for a long time. But for you to criticize crews for not being able to recruit just leaves you no credibility. He's an interim coach and has already signed one kid who looks good to me. Soderberg on the other hand went through multiple recruiting periods without getting anyone at all. He may have been the worst recruiter of all time and you loved him. Give crews a break and a chance.

please provide the most recent post of mine championing soderberg. you are an idiot. i havent advocated soderberg since he was fired.

crews had zero results as an assistant at slu recruiting. he was fired from his previous two head coaching jobs for mistreating players and lack of recruiting success. but now after no one showing any head coaching interest in the guy for years, we are to believe he has found the magic system to succeed?

to assume this is the best coach we can get to guide this program in a very critical time where it can go either way is beyond belief from my view.

better look in the mirror for the lack of credibility.

Shoe - I don't see how the extra month during the middle of HS season makes much of a difference. Very few official visits will take place. The spring recruiting period is usually a highest level offered thing anyways.

We are only about a month from the end of the regular season and at most 2 months from the end of our season. Crews hasn't done anything in the last two months that makes me any more confident in his ability to build and sustain a program.

please provide the most recent post of mine championing soderberg. you are an idiot. i havent advocated soderberg since he was fired.crews had zero results as an assistant at slu recruiting. he was fired from his previous two head coaching jobs for mistreating players and lack of recruiting success. but now after no one showing any head coaching interest in the guy for years, we are to believe he has found the magic system to succeed?to assume this is the best coach we can get to guide this program in a very critical time where it can go either way is beyond belief from my view.better look in the mirror for the lack of credibility.

stay classy buddy. call me an idiot and make up lies about our coach. i am aware of the rumors about crews and army. but crews was fired by evansville for mistreating players? really, i'd like to see a source to confirm anything "scandalous" at evansvills. and unless i'm forgetting something, it doesn't look like evansville has done anyy better since he left. 4 tourney appearances in his 17 years and then 0 in the next 10 years. how could crews have had a lot of success recruiting recruiting as an assistant for one year? he thought he would be here for a few months. recruiting wasn't part of the job description.

i don't need to go through old posts about soderberg. everyone on here knows that during the seasons that he couldn't find one player to come to slu, you were right there behind him supporting him. now we get another coach whose personality you don't like and all of a sudden you are up in arms about recruiting.

i'm not advocating crews to get the job. i just can't stand some of the lunacy on here from people who don't know what they're talking about. he's doing a good job and if he takes us deep in the tourney he should at least be given a thank you. not questions about the stupid free throw shooting situation from people who have never coached a game in their lives.

this success is killing you because it either means majerus was a great recruiter and teacher (which you would hate to admit) or it means crews is really good too (which you would hate to admit) or both.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="grunky" data-cid="340139" data-time="1359929848"><p>

0% true... It would be announced immediately if it happened, for recruiting purposes</p></blockquote>

May have a kernel of truth to it. Noticed on Saturday prior to tip off that the good Doc went over and schmooze with JC. He also was doing his attaboy power fists toward JC during the Butler and Dayton games

3bill i have always said majerus was a very good coach. My issue with majerus was always about the way he treated people including players. Again you show you either lie or are ignorant of my past posts.

By the way go look up why chris mack left evansville if you want more info on crews exit there.

Amazingly you never brought forward any posts of this supposed always support of soderberg since he was fired. Instead trying to change the just of your post to my support of soderberg prior to his firing. Hillarious.

0% true... It would be announced immediately if it happened, for recruiting purposes

May have a kernel of truth to it. Noticed on Saturday prior to tip off that the good Doc went over and schmooze with JC. He also was doing his attaboy power fists toward JC during the Butler and Dayton games

Aw geez... Not sure i can handle another soderberg.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="TheOldie" data-cid="340141" data-time="1359930367"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="grunky" data-cid="340139" data-time="1359929848"><p><br />

0% true... It would be announced immediately if it happened, for recruiting purposes</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

May have a kernel of truth to it. Noticed on Saturday prior to tip off that the good Doc went over and schmooze with JC. He also was doing his attaboy power fists toward JC during the Butler and Dayton games</p></blockquote>

So chaifetz being nice to our head coach means he got a 5 year extension? Boy people have lost touch with reality.

This rumor seems highly unlikely

That certainly explains everything. The source is the source, and the source is credible if the source is telling the truth.

I didn't post it as fact or breaking news . I posted it in hopes that it would be shot down by a poster who would know as false. Even though I have stuck up for Crews a few times, I don't think he is the best long term option.

crews out coached us when he was at Evansville

However i see little that would warrant a 5 year contract yet

I still can't get over the Rhode Island loss at Chaifetz no one else in the Leauge has suffered that indignity.

crews out coached us when he was at Evansville

However i see little that would warrant a 5 year contract yet

I still can't get over the Rhode Island loss at Chaifetz no one else in the Leauge has suffered that indignity.

It was definitely a bad loss, and I'm not defending Crews at all, but I don't think that that one game proves Crews is a bad coach. After all, Coach Majerus, arguably the best SLU coach in the last 50 years, not only led the team when they lost at Rhode Island last year, but he also gets the blame for the 20-point debacle at George Washington five years ago. But he still turned the program around and last season's run was very good despite the RI loss.

If this is true it'll probably be confirmed tomorrow as they iron out the details because you'd want to solidify recruiting ASAP. However, I doubt it because they could wait and see. What's the loss of a 2 months recruiting compared to making a lasting 7 year plus impact decision.

Crews did have an issue at USMA for allegedly verbally abusing a cadet in the locker room. It was rumored that he physically touched a kid. Treatment of players is a tough area because how hard can you be? I don't know and losing + ego + discipline can cause a bad mix. I give him the benefit of the doubt in this matter.

I'd wait and see how well this team does before making an offer or not making an offer.

If this is true it'll probably be confirmed tomorrow as they iron out the details because you'd want to solidify recruiting ASAP. However, I doubt it because they could wait and see. What's the loss of a 2 months recruiting compared to making a lasting 7 year plus impact decision.

Crews did have an issue at USMA for allegedly verbally abusing a cadet in the locker room. It was rumored that he physically touched a kid. Treatment of players is a tough area because how hard can you be? I don't know and losing + ego + discipline can cause a bad mix. I give him the benefit of the doubt in this matter.

I'd wait and see how well this team does before making an offer or not making an offer.

Waiting until the end of the season has been Chris May's plan since it was apparent that Rick was not coming back. It is the right plan. Chris is a very smart man and he is handling all this in exactly the right way. Just wait and see what the best option is. I have a lot of confidence that we will all be happy with our new coach. Rich Chaifetz is very invested in this team and is getting a lot of pleasure from it. We will end up in a very good spot.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="moytoy12" data-cid="340088" data-time="1359920946"><p>

Crews has been noticeably more vocal/active the last few games.</p></blockquote>

I've seen the same thing.....on the court screaming at refs and players, showing more emotion on the sideline, talking with multiple players during free throws....it's been nice to see.

I didn't post it as fact or breaking news . I posted it in hopes that it would be shot down by a poster who would know as false. Even though I have stuck up for Crews a few times, I don't think he is the best long term option.

What the hell does that mean?