Woolard is now a finalist

I'm at work right now and this just came across of the wire...

USF NAMES FINALISTS

(TAMPA, FLORIDA-AP) -- SOUTH FLORIDA NAMED TWO FINALISTS TODAY

IN ITS SEARCH TO REPLACE ATHLETICS DIRECTOR LEE ROY SELMON.

IN THE RUNNING ARE SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY'S ATHLETIC DIRECTOR,

DOUG WOOLARD, AND VIRGINIA ASSOCIATE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR JON OLIVER.

SELMON, WHO STARRED AT OKLAHOMA, STEPPED DOWN IN LATE FEBRUARY

CITING UNSPECIFIED HEALTH CONCERNS. THE FORMER TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

DEFENSIVE END WILL REMAIN WITH SOUTH FLORIDA AS ITS CHIEF ATHLETIC

FUND-RAISER.

SCHOOL PRESIDENT JUDY GENSHAFT WILL TALK INDIVIDUALLY WITH

MEMBERS OF THE SEARCH COMMITTEE AND THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT BEFORE

NAMING SELMON'S SUCCESSOR.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

as i have been on record as wanting doug woolard to stay, i sure wouldnt blame him for heading to sunny tampa. good luck doug. i hope it all works out for the best for you.

If Doug gets the job I will not be disappointed but I am not wanting to run him out of town either. I just think that while he does somethings well he does others less well. I know that could be said about all of us but in his case, we need a higher profile position if we are going to compete for fans and money - this is not an area of strenght for him - at least not in my opinion. I wish him luck regardless if he goes or stays.

I agree. If selected, he'll take it. Largest University in FL, wanting to elevate football and more money.

Hopefully SLU can find an AD who is a visionary and who can market and fund raise.

I'd agree that he is gone if he if offered the job...my future son-in-law goes to USF and he has told me that they are 2nd to Florida in the state, at least in student enrollment. They do have a pretty impressive campus even though I was not impressed with the Sun Dome on my only visit. There are many people who believe that the USF football program has a real chance to be 1st class very soon and I think they have a heckuva HC. They have a stadium in the plans and in the meantime they now play at Raymond James which is a super pro football stadium...plus the state of Florida is a hotbed for recruiting good to great football players.

If Doug Woolard is offered the USF position (for what I'm sure will be more money), then I think he should take it -- because of football and the Big East -- and I would be happy for him. I don't think it would be bad for SLU to find another person for the position, but I, too, don't necessarily want Woolard out. This is not really the best time for change in the position, but at other times I think both Woolard and SLU could benefit from a change.

i hope not. i got the impression from discussions with ken and his reports at billiken club meetings that ken was our main "marketing" guy during his stay here. we are still reeling from that great merchandising deal he orchestrated.

BigMac is close to the heart of the matter - Doug has interviewed for four positions in four years, and has been in the last cut two times. This is what I call "active pursuit" of another job, rather than a courtesy invite and interview situation. People don't realize the large amount of football experience Doug has, and he realizes that ten years is about the limit for holding this as "current" major experience.

There is no possible better time to get a new AD on board, as he or she will be OJT from the beginning of the arena project. Doug is running hard for this new position, and I wish him luck in gaining it. It would be his retirement job.

According to the Tampa Trib today, the coaches almost unanimously like Oliver better as he seemed to have a real outgoing personality on his interviews. Both candidates have already had an hour interview with Judy Genshaft, President of USF and she will be the one making the final decision after confering with the folks on the committee and the coaches. I'm kind of believing from trying to read between the lines that Woolard may finsh a close 2nd on the USF job.