Rammer Let Go?

b.hayes

I don't think SLU's contract with 101.1 has anything to do with Rammer and there should be no issues with him working his day job at 590 or 550 or wherever else while still doing games on 101.1 for the Bills. Earl Austin doesn't work for 101.1 so why should Rammer have to?

Rammer did PBP on 101 before he joined the 101 lineup. No reason to expect this to change anything...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In light of the current situation I would like to re-post a plea from Rammer. Almost a year to the day......

10 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

So you want to go big time, eh?

It seems that youve done all of the right things. You built a state of the art, basketball only building. You went out and hired a big-time coach. You bought tickets and luxury boxes. You have started to fill up the new building but something is amiss. Didnt you feel it the other night when the Billikens beat George Washington?

Or rather, was it something that you didnt feel?

I dont want to get all preachy here, so I need you to tell me why youre not into the games. I have a great appreciation for the money you spend to buy tickets and support the program. In a tough economy, entertainment dollars are usually the first to get wacked off of the budget. Its great that in a town with so many other things to do that you choose to use your time watching SLU hoops.

But if you want to be big-time (and that is all that I have heard for over a quarter of a century), then you must help change the fan culture at Billikens games. There is a distinct difference in the building when the students are not in session. And I would never ask that you adults paint your faces and wear crazy clothes to games like the students (though the season-ticket holders do that elsewhere). But something has got to give. Pardon my language, but you folks have got to get off of your asses and make some noise!

Look, I really get the I paid for my ticket and I will enjoy the game the way I want attitude. I am kind of the same way. But you cant have it both ways. Part of (and a big part of) having a big-time program is having an active fan base that energizes the building. It makes your house the place to be. Your team feeds off the energy and the opposition gets intimidated. This is a fact. I have seen it with my own eyes.

What I cant believe is happening at the Jewel of Midtown is fans asking good, rabid, cheering fans to sit down! It is incomprehensible to me. If you have a bad hip tell an usher and well get you into a handicapped seat. Folks, we have a true jewel of a building. It was made for basketball. We have a great coach and tremendous student-athletes. Dont waste these precious items that most fans around the country would kill for.

I understand that folks from our region are stoic by nature. We have a tendency to buy our ticket, find our seat and wait to be entertained. Whether its a game, a rock concert or the ballet, well clap a little if you do something well, but then well settle back in and wait for you to do it again.

We must change the culture at Chaifetz Arena! We must be proactive. We must exhort our guys to make a stop on defense. We must bring the roof down on dunks or threes. And mostly we have to feel the game and the moment. Most of you folks know the game and have been around the program longer than me. (Hell, I think some of you played one-on-one with Jimmy Naismith.) When the Billikens force the opposing coach to call a time out, you must get so loud that his ears bleed. You must let them know that this is your house and nobody comes in here and thinks theyre going to win. Not in our house!

You have given your time, you have given your money, but folks if you want Billikens basketball to be big-time, it is time to invest your soul!

In light of the current situation I would like to re-post a plea from Rammer. Almost a year to the day......

10 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

So you want to go big time, eh?

It seems that youve done all of the right things. You built a state of the art, basketball only building. You went out and hired a big-time coach. You bought tickets and luxury boxes. You have started to fill up the new building but something is amiss. Didnt you feel it the other night when the Billikens beat George Washington?

Or rather, was it something that you didnt feel?

I dont want to get all preachy here, so I need you to tell me why youre not into the games. I have a great appreciation for the money you spend to buy tickets and support the program. In a tough economy, entertainment dollars are usually the first to get wacked off of the budget. Its great that in a town with so many other things to do that you choose to use your time watching SLU hoops.

But if you want to be big-time (and that is all that I have heard for over a quarter of a century), then you must help change the fan culture at Billikens games. There is a distinct difference in the building when the students are not in session. And I would never ask that you adults paint your faces and wear crazy clothes to games like the students (though the season-ticket holders do that elsewhere). But something has got to give. Pardon my language, but you folks have got to get off of your asses and make some noise!

Look, I really get the I paid for my ticket and I will enjoy the game the way I want attitude. I am kind of the same way. But you cant have it both ways. Part of (and a big part of) having a big-time program is having an active fan base that energizes the building. It makes your house the place to be. Your team feeds off the energy and the opposition gets intimidated. This is a fact. I have seen it with my own eyes.

What I cant believe is happening at the Jewel of Midtown is fans asking good, rabid, cheering fans to sit down! It is incomprehensible to me. If you have a bad hip tell an usher and well get you into a handicapped seat. Folks, we have a true jewel of a building. It was made for basketball. We have a great coach and tremendous student-athletes. Dont waste these precious items that most fans around the country would kill for.

I understand that folks from our region are stoic by nature. We have a tendency to buy our ticket, find our seat and wait to be entertained. Whether its a game, a rock concert or the ballet, well clap a little if you do something well, but then well settle back in and wait for you to do it again.

We must change the culture at Chaifetz Arena! We must be proactive. We must exhort our guys to make a stop on defense. We must bring the roof down on dunks or threes. And mostly we have to feel the game and the moment. Most of you folks know the game and have been around the program longer than me. (Hell, I think some of you played one-on-one with Jimmy Naismith.) When the Billikens force the opposing coach to call a time out, you must get so loud that his ears bleed. You must let them know that this is your house and nobody comes in here and thinks theyre going to win. Not in our house!

You have given your time, you have given your money, but folks if you want Billikens basketball to be big-time, it is time to invest your soul!

-these words still ring true, unfortunately

Rammer was a guest on a show on 590 the other day. I hope he finds a home there, as it is the only sports station worth listening to, IMO.

I had hoped that 101 would be such a juggernaut, grabbing the best hosts and talent while developing new ones and put all the rest of STL sports talk radio out of business. They had a chance to do so and failed.

We have 3 stations who are basically full time sports talk and 2 other who do it in the evening. I can still count on 1 hand the number of broadcasters who are actually listenable, and even less that are likeable.

Sadly I think 590 has better programming than 101. I don't know how that is possible but 101 has turned into a complete cluster****. Miklacsz is always good, Karraker is ok but not really likeable. Everyone else on that station is a talentless hack.

On 590 their morning show is not my cup of tea, but I think the hosts are good. In another setting I'd listen to them. I particularly like Doug Vaughn, who has been slept on in this town for 20 years. Cusamano is bland but listenable. Their afternoon lineup is a trainwreck. Hopefully Rammer takes that over and they finally do away with Andy Strickland, who shouldn't even be allowed to sing karaoke in a bar. Also like to see Joe Strauss have a regular show, he's an untapped resource in the market. KMOX sports talk is bland, save for Claiborne who I dislike but he is a pro broadcaster, and KTRS is atrocious. I have no idea how 1380 stays in business.

I don't know how or why we have this many sports outlets in this town yet couldn't produce enough talent to make up a solid day of sports talk for one station. It boggles my mind the retreads that come and go here. it seems like no matter how bad you are, once you've had a show once in STL you have a job for life somewhere.

I had hoped that 101 would be such a juggernaut, grabbing the best hosts and talent while developing new ones and put all the rest of STL sports talk radio out of business. They had a chance to do so and failed.

We have 3 stations who are basically full time sports talk and 2 other who do it in the evening. I can still count on 1 hand the number of broadcasters who are actually listenable, and even less that are likeable.

Sadly I think 590 has better programming than 101. I don't know how that is possible but 101 has turned into a complete cluster****. Miklacsz is always good, Karraker is ok but not really likeable. Everyone else on that station is a talentless hack.

On 590 their morning show is not my cup of tea, but I think the hosts are good. In another setting I'd listen to them. I particularly like Doug Vaughn, who has been slept on in this town for 20 years. Cusamano is bland but listenable. Their afternoon lineup is a trainwreck. Hopefully Rammer takes that over and they finally do away with Andy Strickland, who shouldn't even be allowed to sing karaoke in a bar. Also like to see Joe Strauss have a regular show, he's an untapped resource in the market. KMOX sports talk is bland, save for Claiborne who I dislike but he is a pro broadcaster, and KTRS is atrocious. I have no idea how 1380 stays in business.

I don't know how or why we have this many sports outlets in this town yet couldn't produce enough talent to make up a solid day of sports talk for one station. It boggles my mind the retreads that come and go here. it seems like no matter how bad you are, once you've had a show once in STL you have a job for life somewhere.

Yes. I agree, especially on the retreads. For instance, I give Howard Balzer all the respect and credit in the world as it relates to the NFL and the salary cap and I truly like to listen to him talk football around the NFL draft, training camp and during the preseason/start of the NFL. Other than that, I frankly don't have any interest. And to me, the worst radio in town consists of guys like Balzer droning on for hours and hours about about fantasy football statistics!!

As to why the retreads, it appears quite simple. The St. Louis market likes to talk St. Louis sports (Cardinals, Rams, Blues) as opposed to the MLB, NFL or the NHL. Outside hosts who have talent, fresh viewpoints, interesting perspectives, etc. do not receive good ratings and do not last long. If you cannot compare/contrast Whitey Herzog with Tony LaRussa and be able to give trivial factoids in support of your arguments, then you must not know baseball.... "Get this foreigner off the air!!" they say. So instead, we get the same cast of characters over and over and over again.

Yes. I agree, especially on the retreads. For instance, I give Howard Balzer all the respect and credit in the world as it relates to the NFL and the salary cap and I truly like to listen to him talk football around the NFL draft, training camp and during the preseason/start of the NFL. Other than that, I frankly don't have any interest. And to me, the worst radio in town consists of guys like Balzer droning on for hours and hours about about fantasy football statistics!!

As to why the retreads, it appears quite simple. The St. Louis market likes to talk St. Louis sports (Cardinals, Rams, Blues) as opposed to the MLB, NFL or the NHL. Outside hosts who have talent, fresh viewpoints, interesting perspectives, etc. do not receive good ratings and do not last long. If you cannot compare/contrast Whitey Herzog with Tony LaRussa and be able to give trivial factoids in support of your arguments, then you must not know baseball.... "Get this foreigner off the air!!" they say. So instead, we get the same cast of characters over and over and over again.

Balzer has a wealth of knowledge. But with his on air skills he should be a once a week guest for an hour like KMOX used to have with that weird shut-in guy who knew every player in the country. That was entertaining radio.

Their are so many guys like that in the market, who should be on the air 1 hour a week but are given 3 hour a day shows. I just can't fathom that the demand is so great for sports talk that we need 3 inferior stations and 2 others who can't do it right on a part time basis.

D'Marco sucks.

He knows a lot about football, given. But even there he doesn't listen to anyone else's opinions, he looks at it from a purely football perspective and he gets a lot of predictions completely wrong.

He doesn't even ATTEMPT to learn about other sports. He brings everything back to football. He asks terrible questions to the guests. For God's sake he compared the Albert Pujols contract situation to OJ Freakin Atogwe. Multiple times.

At least Duncan tries.

I think it is funny when they were doing those top 10 lists (they might still be, I'm not a regular listener), Duncan's list would be all baseball players and Farr's list would be all football players. If you are doing your job, wouldn't you try to at least learn about a few other sports and mix it up on the lists so you don't look like you only know one sport?

Also, Tom Casey was let go along with Rammer the other day.

Makes sense because Casey was the hockey guy and I believe they added Jeremy Rutherford.

101 ESPN is essentially turning into the St. Louis Post Dispatch radio station. Bernie M. has one of their biggest shows and all of their "insiders" are/were PD beat writers Strauss (Cardinals), Goold (Cardinals), Rutherford (Blues), and Jim Thomas (Rams). If Burwell hadn't been so awful on radio, he would likely still have his show as well.

Tom Timmerman should probably approach some of his PD pals about getting a weekly Bills show during the season, if he wants to supplement his income.

The PD is really the only game in town to go for proven sports "experts," but it would be nice if 101 developed some of their own "talent."

Some inaccuracies above...

Tom Casey's role as Blues "Insider" was cut midway through last season. He even stopped going to Blues games when that happened.

Joe Strauss has had a weekly show on KTRS for the past year...he also appears on KFNS with the Morning After guys weekly. he is not on 101 as an insider,

Jim Thomas has been the KMOX "insider" for about a year. He is not on 101 as an insider.

Jeremy Ruthorford is just now beginning his stint with 101. He has been the "insider" and a weekly host at 590 for the past several years.

Balzer has a wealth of knowledge. But with his on air skills he should be a once a week guest for an hour like KMOX used to have with that weird shut-in guy who knew every player in the country. That was entertaining radio.

Joel Buchsbaum. That guy was freaking awesome. Died 10 years ago.

Joel Buchsbaum. That guy was freaking awesome. Died 10 years ago.

Buchsbaum was the best. In today's internet age he would have been a millionare. He would have the go to site for football.

Also, Tom Casey was let go along with Rammer the other day.

Makes sense because Casey was the hockey guy and I believe they added Jeremy Rutherford.

101 ESPN is essentially turning into the St. Louis Post Dispatch radio station. Bernie M. has one of their biggest shows and all of their "insiders" are/were PD beat writers Strauss (Cardinals), Goold (Cardinals), Rutherford (Blues), and Jim Thomas (Rams). If Burwell hadn't been so awful on radio, he would likely still have his show as well.

Tom Timmerman should probably approach some of his PD pals about getting a weekly Bills show during the season, if he wants to supplement his income.

The PD is really the only game in town to go for proven sports "experts," but it would be nice if 101 developed some of their own "talent."

Tom Casey's role as Blues "Insider" was cut midway through last season. He even stopped going to Blues games when that happened.

Joe Strauss has had a weekly show on KTRS for the past year...he also appears on KFNS with the Morning After guys weekly. he is not on 101 as an insider,

Jim Thomas has been the KMOX "insider" for about a year. He is not on 101 as an insider.

Jeremy Ruthorford is just now beginning his stint with 101. He has been the "insider" and a weekly host at 590 for the past several years.

-are/were

-Joel Buschbaum was amazing, I guess he got to that point before the computer age, certainly before the internet, amazing, I could listen to him for hours

Sorry for providing bad info. I did not realize Casey had been cut as the hockey guy or that Strauss had his own show (I know he used to be a baseball insider on 101 from those annoying Feldman, Strauss, and Goold commercials). As for Jim Thomas, I guess sometimes the sports talk just blurs together. Who is the Rams insider at 101, Tony Softli maybe?

I am glad I don't have Dan Caesar's job since I can't keep all of these goofballs straight.

Double-dipping today on @590thefanKFNS...Dwayne Evans on the radio at 11:30. Cody Ellis on at 12:25. Tune in!

Dwayne with Frank:

-Touched on how strong the A-10 is this season

-Kwamain has been working really hard to get back to 100%

-Cody Ellis is the "sixth starter"

-Depth will pay off as the year goes on

-Been doing nothing but eating, sleeping & playing basketball over break

-Wasn't sure whether the 20 hour rule applied over break or not

-Not sure where he wants basketball to take him, focusing on getting the Bills championships right now

-Has a really smart family - sister in law school at Wash U

Frank was trying to get some more out of him regarding some of the differences in offense & defense under Crews but not much there.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RUBillsFan" data-cid="335185" data-time="1357710492"><p>

I think it is funny when they were doing those top 10 lists (they might still be, I'm not a regular listener), Duncan's list would be all baseball players and Farr's list would be all football players. If you are doing your job, wouldn't you try to at least learn about a few other sports and mix it up on the lists so you don't look like you only know one sport?</p></blockquote>

To be fair, before Duncan left for medical reasons it seemed he was trying to learn about other sports.

Many time when discussing football, hockey, or hoops Duncan would say something along the lines of "I was researching this online last night and didnt realize...what do you think abouth that Damarco."

It seems he was trying to learn about other sports but it takes time.

Damarco seems to be happy with only knowing football.

If Dunc keeps trying to learning and continues to get more comfortable I think he could be a good radio guy.

Right now he is good at whats has been prepared for the show the night before but struggles, much like in his MLB career, when a curve is thrown his way and the show drifts of course.

D'marco Farr had a career high in sacks the year the Rams move to STL, he played on the 1999 SB winner, and by 1990s standards he was an articulate NFL player in the media.

The sports culture has changed by leaps and bounds since then, yet D'Marco is still stuck in the 90s - where he's a Big Time personality who seemingly believe his ignorance of all things non-football is charming rather than a liability.

and then there's Tony Softi - who makes D'Marco look like Bob Costas...why they insist on tainting the Miklasz show with segment after segment of Tony Softli is one of life's great mysteries

From the end of the article: "The station also plans to add weekend baseball, hockey and mixed martial arts programming. More about that will appear in Friday’s “Media Views’’ column."

anyone want to take a guess as to who will be talking and with whom 101 will be trying to reach with "mixed martial arts programming?" Is this really that big in the STL area?

From the end of the article: "The station also plans to add weekend baseball, hockey and mixed martial arts programming. More about that will appear in Friday’s “Media Views’’ column."

anyone want to take a guess as to who will be talking and with whom 101 will be trying to reach with "mixed martial arts programming?" Is this really that big in the STL area?

Just about everything has its cult following.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SpartanBilliken" data-cid="335274" data-time="1357768759"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bills16" data-cid="335186" data-time="1357734903"><p><a href='http://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/bob-ramsey-in-limbo-at-fm/article_2a28d912-9053-51bb-8b9c-45b0e4e3f0c1.html'>http://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/bob-ramsey-in-limbo-at-fm/article_2a28d912-9053-51bb-8b9c-45b0e4e3f0c1.html</a></p></blockquote>

<br />

<br />

From the end of the article: "The station also plans to add weekend baseball, hockey and mixed martial arts programming. More about that will appear in Fridays Media Views column."<br />

<br />

anyone want to take a guess as to who will be talking and with whom 101 will be trying to reach with "mixed martial arts programming?" Is this really that big in the STL area?</p></blockquote>

It actually is pretty big. Though I don't know if it is with a crowd that listens to talk radio on Saturday morning.

Stully kept a pro wrestling radio show on the air for years. So anything is possible.