Last nights ref's

willie

I'm watching Illinois and OhioState and low and behold there is last night's short white referee. It is hard to believe any of those guys last night would ever work a big 10 game. He just got in Groce's face. Very unprofessional. Whatever happened to the Steve Wellmer, Ton O'Neil Eddie Hightowers of the world. Last night was so bad that I almost wish Mike Sancere was doing our games.

Last night was the only time I remember people booing and screaming at the refs as they went into the tunnel at halftime. I thought one spectator was going to get ushered out because he was so animated yelling at the refs as they went into the tunnel.

It's one thing to be really upset with the officiating when you are losing and feeling like you are getting screwed, but when you win a game (and for most of the first half we were winning by a decent margin) and people are still as angry as they were last night, it just seems to be an outlier.

Refs are human so I am confident in saying that there are times when a ref holds a grudge and it impacts his officiating. For the large percentage of games, however, I think the refs probably try to be fair. So, it is not an issue of refs trying to intentionally adversely impact a specific team; rather it is just that a lot of these newer refs are just THAT BAD at their profession. I mean, borderline incompetent. I don't know if it is a function of maturity, intellect, poise or what, but they are just not good at what they are supposed to be doing.

I reffed grade school games for 2 years in high school, and wasn't good, so I know it can be difficult. I also know that a ref can miss a call here or there, so I tend to downplay the effect a ref can have on a game. Players decide games; not refs.

Still, I don't know how some of these guys, last nights refs included, can make a living out of revving when they are that bad.

Still, I don't know how some of these guys, last nights refs included, can make a living out of revving when they are that bad.

I don't think most of these guys actually make their living as refs. I believe most supplement their income from something else by reffing games. Some loony toons New Mexico fan was convinced that a ref from the SLU-NM game had a grudge against NM because in addition to reffing, he is the baseball coach at Valpo.

I don't know the numbers but a lot of the top guys do make their living as being refs. Pollard,from St. Charles quit his police job to ref full time. Guys like Kitts,Higgins,Valentine can be seen on TV almost every night.

I also don't know the numbers (and am not interested enough right now to do research on it), but it is my understanding that those guys are the exception rather than the rule.

I will say it again I don't know the numbers , but I would be willing to bet a cold frosty that the majority of the guys you see on TV are full time.

I value my cold frosty ones (and I agree with you). So I'm not going to take the bet...but the majority of games are not on TV.

I don't think most of these guys actually make their living as refs. I believe most supplement their income from something else by reffing games. Some loony toons New Mexico fan was convinced that a ref from the SLU-NM game had a grudge against NM because in addition to reffing, he is the baseball coach at Valpo.

The guy who punched out Alford was former short time Cardinal third baseman Tracey Woodson......

Credit to Okiebilliken for noticing.....

A few bullets from http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/the-life-of-a-referee/, a 2009 NY Times interview with John Adams, who was in his first year as the national coordinator of men’s basketball officiating for the N.C.A.A.

*The 31 conferences spend approximately $25 million on referees in the regular season. The top six to eight officials in college basketball, who are in high demand, can make as much as $2,500 to $3,000 per game, but they must pay their travel costs and expenses. Plus they pay for their own health insurance.

*Adams said approximately 40 officials were in such high demand that they made a full-time living refereeing college basketball. Referees in college basketball are independent contractors, unlike the N.B.A., where referees are full-time employees.

*There are 1,000 Division I referees, but 650 of them do 80 percent of the games, Adams said.

*”We strive to get 85 to 86 percent of calls correct during a game,” Adams said. “In the last two minutes we need to get 100 percent right. A referee’s mistakes in the first five minutes can be fixed, overcome by the players and the coaches; there is not enough time in the last two minutes to fix mistakes. It has a lasting effect on the game.”

The guy who punched out Alford was former short time Cardinal third baseman Tracey Woodson......

Credit to Okiebilliken for noticing.....

Eagle-eye Broy certainly noticed Woodson.

This was probably about 10-12 years ago but one of the previous partners who owned the development I live in near Asheville ref'd. Played golf with him back then and he said he ref'd CUSA, SoCon and Big South. Further said this is just a hobby for him.

He played ball at Wake Forest in the late 60s and is a physician with a practice in Asheville.

What I don't understand is like in the Sav St game - all three of the refs were off their game. I can see how one guy can blow a call but how do you get a situation that all 3 go off the reservation? That group the other night was just terrible - they were the cause of Evans being in foul trouble - they were not calling anything on him but when he would get frustrated and try the same against his man then the foul was called. I know Evans has to keep his cool but there was so much grabbing and throwing bodies around that nobody knew how to play - Sav St had nothing to loose and they played that way.

According to Timmerman, we've seen those refs quite a bit over the last 8 years:

"Over the past eight seasons, SLU has a 10-2 record with Jackie Sanders on the court and 17-6 with Lamar Simpson, who I think has worked more SLU games in that span than any other ref. They're 3-2 with the third guy on the crew, Larry Scirotto."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-savannah-state-take/article_05766805-74b4-5d28-85d1-2b788be34d3d.html