Any news on where Carter is transferring?

The staff may not be shedding tears but they won't have to deal with the massive hole in our lineup in 2 years after 8 of our top 9 players graduate. The new coaches will.

I'm not saying we should have kept him on as I have no inside info whatsoever, but I do wonder if a coaching staff that planned on being here two years down the road when he was going to likely get 30+ minutes per game would have the same view.

+1

And to all the Crews supporters out there, fair or unfair, Carter's leaving is a huge negative on Crews and whether or not he is retained as the permanent coach.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another piece of evidence to put in the pot that says kids sign with coaches. Seems to go along the argument that if a coach leaves a kid should be given the opportunity to leave with no penalty as well. Now, we all know the Majerus situation was not typical but it would seem to have merit in that argument. Whatever, he is gone. Best wishes but he will mean as much as Cotto, Thompson, Relaphord and the rest meant in the long run.

I also believe I forgot hew very fact kshoe mentioned ... one game, 32 games, it's all the same (one year) to the NCAA. So Carter's freshman year is gone in this semster of thre egames, he sits out th eyear and becomes eligible second semester next year and that completes his sophomore year. Good catch and I can't believe I forgot that.

I had heard from a friend who usually has dead on info that he just didn't have the respect level for those other than rickma and was a Jacknife in practice. Tried his way or the highway and was sent to the highway due to his ego.... Apparently not missed too much.

Reuben Cotto II the sequel. If Harriman recruited him, maybe he ends up a Husker unless he's longing to play in sweet home Chicago.

I would have thought we would have heard something my now. School is about to start in another week - correct? Look the player first gave a verbal commitment to Moser at Loyola and then changed his mind to sign with us. Clearly he has trouble making up his mind - I am not knocking him just pointing out that he is a bit immature. I think he would have been very good for us and I am sorry he left but KM thought of himself as a close friend of Carter and he had little indication that the kid was actually leaving. I am sure had RM been here Carter would have found some other reason to leave - who knows.

The staff may not be shedding tears but they won't have to deal with the massive hole in our lineup in 2 years after 8 of our top 9 players graduate. The new coaches will.

I'm not saying we should have kept him on as I have no inside info whatsoever, but I do wonder if a coaching staff that planned on being here two years down the road when he was going to likely get 30+ minutes per game would have the same view.

+1

And to all the Crews supporters out there, fair or unfair, Carter's leaving is a huge negative on Crews and whether or not he is retained as the permanent coach.

Unless you know the inside scoop as to what was happening on the team, in practice and off the court, you have no business whatsoever speculating as to the "huge negative" of the coach or anyone else. There is a story here that will probably never be told because teams keep things quiet--for good reason. I was given the full story in confidence and will never report it to anyone but your uninformed speculation and unwarrantted criticism is false and is typical of much of what is posted on this board--unsupported speculation.

Billikan. Reread the motto of this Board: "For the fans by the fans." That's what this website is all about. I am a fan. I follow the team closer than the regular fan. I am not starting rumors. If you have inside information, go ahead and provide some insight. As you know, there are ways to do without naming names and giving every last detail. Your choice.

Instead, my comments are based upon multiple well-respected posters who have said on this Board that KC had respect for RM but not really for anyone else -- that means Crews. As I mentioned, fair or not, a Coach's tenure and future is dependent upon the actions of a 17 to 22 year old kids. Obviously, there is alot to headscratch regarding the timing of KC's decision to leave - resulting in 3 years of playing time. Read my earlier posts in which I have all but said -- good riddance-- to KC. At the same time, head coaches are to not only recruit new kids to the program but also to retain the ones they already have. KC came to SLU with such promise and so many positive comments by RM himself (better than KM was at that age, best PG that RM has recruited since Andre Miller....) From your post, there is no doubt that KC did something, said something, etc. which lead to his early exit. Why? I don't know.

What I do know is that RM drove kids away but not one truly talented kid left the program under RM. When truly talented players leave a program, it is a huge negative. A truly talented player (KC) left under Crews. That's a huge negative -- fair or unfair.

What I do know is that RM drove kids away but not one truly talented kid left the program under RM. When truly talented players leave a program, it is a huge negative. A truly talented player (KC) left under Crews. That's a huge negative -- fair or unfair.

What about Willie Reed? While he squandered his opportunity, I don't think it's accurate to say that he wasn't "truly talented."

What about Willie Reed? While he squandered his opportunity, I don't think it's accurate to say that he wasn't "truly talented."

Willie & to an extent Jon Smith, who would have flourished under Majerus, left because of reason outside of basketball. Stuff that Majerus had little control over. Willie didn't leave because the coaching staff couldn't integrate his personality into the team.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="thetorch" data-cid="334821" data-time="1357454408"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Absurd_Bills_fan" data-cid="334819"><p><br />

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Clock_Tower" data-cid="334818"><p><br />

What I do know is that RM drove kids away but not one truly talented kid left the program under RM. When truly talented players leave a program, it is a huge negative. A truly talented player (KC) left under Crews. That's a huge negative -- fair or unfair.</p></blockquote> <br />

What about Willie Reed? While he squandered his opportunity, I don't think it's accurate to say that he wasn't "truly talented."<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

</p></blockquote>

Willie & to an extent Jon Smith, who would have flourished under Majerus, left because of reason outside of basketball. Stuff that Majerus had little control over. Willie didn't leave because the coaching staff couldn't integrate his personality into the team.</p></blockquote>

Side note....

Jon smith is getting 20 minutes a game and putting up 5 points 4 boards and 1.5 blocks.

Seeing his name made me curious

@Clock

I think what Billikan and others are referring to is that there are several other behind-the-scenes, influencing individuals behind KC and his antics, this his eventual departure. I, too, was given the full story and there were people "guiding" KC along the way. This was beyond Crews.

@Clock

I think what Billikan and others are referring to is that there are several other behind-the-scenes, influencing individuals behind KC and his antics, this his eventual departure. I, too, was given the full story and there were people "guiding" KC along the way. This was beyond Crews.

Pelican. Thanks for the info. Even so, and fair or not fair, it doesn't seem like the name Jim Crews carries enough interest and excitement. No one expects Jim Crews to be equal to RM but, from day 1, Jim Crews was appointed the interim coach and his job was to welcome and integrate the players. One of the very first posts after word broke that RM would not be back and that Crews would be the interim head coach was to keep KC. KC was the future -- the priority. Maybe not the best comparison, but I believe all parties thought Brad S. did an exceptional job of leading between the time that Romar left and he was appointed head coach. Yes, Fr. Biondi "saved" money, went cheap and took a safe choice by hiring Brad, but Brad also took charge and lead. By all accounts, Brad was the choice of the players who lobbied for him. Maybe Crews did the same, tried to do the same.... I just have not heard any stories or word regarding the same. Instead, I am hearing KC had respect only for KM.

Curious. If reliable posters such as yourself have all but confirmed to us on this Board that Crews will not be the permanent head coach, then I presume the players all know this as well.

Clock:

No doubt KC was KM's eventual replacement. If RM spots talent then it is surely there. RM has a record of pulling out diamonds in the rough or spotting undervalued players and developing them. Sometimes these players have baggage, sometimes they don't. Baggage can come in many different varieties and this type of baggage was more unique than we typically see. That said, KC was done when RM was not returning.

Here is my take on Crews' situation: he is like a step-dad- he will always be compared to RM (dad) and will forever fall short. He will never get full credit even if he knocked it out of the park. He really is in a tough situation. Now, he could have told May no thanks, then we really would have been up a creek. Would we really rather have someone else sitting on the bench: no, emphatically no. Should we be more appreciative of Crews- emphatically yes. He was our best option considering the timeline and he has bailed us out. Will Crews ever be RM - No and the sooner we accept that the easier it will be to swallow this season good or bad. In reality, he is doing a pretty good job.

Players- as we know they aren't dumb. We are in transition. The upperclassmen aren't going anywhere for obvious reasons. The younger guys I believe will stay because they are settled and the team is very cohesive. Success makes it easier to stay as well. Is this a guarantee- no just my thoughts. The team really has good chemistry and that disruption is not worth one player- see above.

Biondi: obviously his priorities are different than the typical fan. Basketball success is a tool for a greater means. The cheaper that tool operates at an efficiency factor benefiting the greater means then the better.

Hard to learn if you think you are already there. Our players work hard at being a good team and work hard in the classroom so they can play. I am getting the impression that while he is a talented player, his early exit is probably a good thing if he was the odd man out on this team of men. If what I am thinking is the case, if he thought he came here for RM , and had Rick survived to coach him, Rick would surely have been his most brutal critic. If he wasn't coachable he and Rick would have had differences.

The fact he would rather play right away at any of those schools, and not learn from an all-league guard on a tourney team, say all I need to know about Mr. Carter.

+1

Hard to learn if you think you are already there. Our players work hard at being a good team and work hard in the classroom so they can play. I am getting the impression that while he is a talented player, his early exit is probably a good thing if he was the odd man out on this team of men. If what I am thinking is the case, if he thought he came here for RM , and had Rick survived to coach him, Rick would surely have been his most brutal critic. If he wasn't coachable he and Rick would have had differences.

My take on KC is he's another Reuben Cotto. We're better off w/o him.

Auburn, Cleveland State, Cal State-Fullerton and Valparaiso. Maybe I take back my comment about KC being a truly talented player. ;)

As for guiding, clearly his handlers are helping him make bad decisions. Not only Reuben Cotto comes to mind but also Willie Reed. At the same time, these people who guide people are part of amateur sports in general and college basketball in particular. I, for one, am tired of hearing such excuses. Handlers, people who guide players, etc. unfortunately are part of college sports. Brad tried to circumvent the AAU crowd but there, unfortunately, are not enough quality kids like Kevin Lisch with quality parents. Again, I am certainly glad my career is not depending upon the whims of such 17 to 21 years olds, many of whom who have zero interest in studying, grades, personal improvement and college life.

Disagree completely. Cotto had grade problems, a sketchy track record and apparently butted heads with players and coaches.

The worst thing you can say about Carter is he didn't get along with coaches who he never REALLY committed to play for.

Keith Carter may be immature and misguided in some ways but I would bet anyone on this board that he has a successful college career AND gets his degree, two things Cotto never came close to.

Furthermore, we could really use a player like him on the roster moving forward.

Disagree completely. Cotto had grade problems, a sketchy track record and apparently butted heads with players and coaches.

The worst thing you can say about Carter is he didn't get along with coaches who he never REALLY committed to play for.

Keith Carter may be immature and misguided in some ways but I would bet anyone on this board that he has a successful college career AND gets his degree, two things Cotto never came close to.

Furthermore, we could really use a player like him on the roster moving forward.

But the problem is if you have a player who may be smart, successful, or maybe even a nice guy ( I have no idea what is or is not true about him)... Who feels he is above the coaching staff and is unhappy where he is, it is like poison. If he is not enjoying playing, hes not happy and his mood will affect others attitudes. When someone is pissed off at work, do they work to their best potential? Usually,no... Are bad moods contagious? Usually, yes. Hes a bad locker room player. The vast majority of people are insulting his team mentality, not necessarily the quality of a person he is. Slu72 was pointing out that a team that is great with team mentality is better off without a player who has a selfish mentality and is unhappy here. Regardless of how great he may be as a player, his potential, his intelligence, likeability or anything else... he would poison the team dynamic that we have at SLU.