Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

The coach has little to do with it. The commitment across the board, market size, relevancy in that market, and facilities are far more important.

True, but in our situation having Rick Maherus also had a LOT to do with it.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but in our situation having Rick Maherus also had a LOT to do with it.

The facilities were upgraded before he got here. Season ticket sales were actually higher before he got here than today.

Look, Rick Majerus was one hell of a basketball coach. That said the program isn't exactly in a much higher spot today than it was before he got here five years ago.

The important thing for SLU's future is that Chaifetz and Novelly stay involved while the program attracts future donors.

The facilities were upgraded before he got here. Season ticket sales were actually higher before he got here than today.

Look, Rick Majerus was one hell of a basketball coach. That said the program isn't exactly in a much higher spot today than it was before he got here five years ago.

The important thing for SLU's future is that Chaifetz and Novelly stay involved while the program attracts future donors.

Wut?

We have one tournament appearance in five years. When national writers write about possible teams that could join the Big East basketball schools we don't get mentioned. We have an acting head coach who looks completely lost at times. We have exactly one recruit signed and he wasn't exactly on the radar of programs on the level we are striving to be at. Exactly how are we in a much better spot than we were five years ago?

We have one tournament appearance in five years. When national writers write about possible teams that could join the Big East basketball schools we don't get mentioned. We have an acting head coach who looks completely lost at times. We have exactly one recruit signed and he wasn't exactly on the radar of programs on the level we are striving to be at. Exactly how are we in a much better spot than we were five years ago?

1) And 2000 was the last time before that.

2) We got a ton of national publicity last year and it continued through the summer. People are still keeping tabs on the Bills.

3) Although I'm not a Crews fan, its been 5 games. I don't think we can use this year to say we aren't in a better position.

4) I'd argue that SLU's success last year contributed to Butler and VCU joining the A10, which as of today, is MUCH better than five years ago.

5) Chaifetz wasn't here five years ago

6) We have a hell of team with multiple players listed on some sort of All-conference list.

I could go on but I think it's rather obvious that SLU bball is much better off than when Majerus took over the team.

Go Bills.

i agree with brian. and besides recruiting this year, i am not enthralled with our recruits over the two previous classes either. this should have been the year, and with crews work, we could very easily go bad on that. the future doesnt look all that bright.

as to the rickma buzz that eckelkamp and others want to cling to, the fact is even with the great (by slu standards) season we had last year, still no sell out of a medium sized arena and season ticket sales are still not better. as much good as rickma did he turned off a lot of people as well.

now i will say, a strong coach hired (and i say our boosters can strongly "encourage" this to happen) a lot of good rickma did like getting more $$ for assistant coaches and getting other concessions that helped build the team could be maintained and the program could continue to build. but we are in no way significantly better off programwise than we have been anytime in the last nearly 20 years imo. we still seem to take a step forward then a step back. hope builds, then gets a slap in the face.

2) We got a ton of national publicity last year and it continued through the summer. People are still keeping tabs on the Bills.

3) Although I'm not a Crews fan, its been 5 games. I don't think we can use this year to say we aren't in a better position.

4) I'd argue that SLU's success last year contributed to Butler and VCU joining the A10, which as of today, is MUCH better than five years ago.

6) We have a hell of team with multiple players listed on some sort of All-conference list.

I could go on but I think it's rather obvious that SLU bball is much better off than when Majerus took over the team.

Go Bills.

Chaifetz came before Rickma. Our season last year had nothing to do with VCU and Butler joining the A10. The Bonnies made their first tournament since 2000 last season, too. Are they a happening program?

Go Bills.

Huh?

• 2 weeks later...

The Catholic schools would be foolish not to discuss their options. But it doesn't make it a done deal. I think it may take one more nail in the coffin. Maybe Cincinnati to the BIG 12 will do it.

Not sure how much I trust a writer that uses the word, "speeded".

ESPN confirms.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8735330/sources-big-east-direction-concerns-conference-catholic-schools

Center

Butler

Dayton

DePaul

Xavier

North

UMass

Providence

St. John's

Seton Hall

South

Georgetown

St. Joseph's

Villanova

VCU

West

Creighton

Marquette

Saint Louis

Wichita State

If they could get a league like this together it could be a lot of fun and an impressive hoops league. Play each team from your division twice and everyone else once for 18 games.

UMASS is football conference shopping, so they are out. Perhaps Temple and Memphis stays bball only? Creighton seems like a natural too.

Word here is that a similar idea is being talked about except even more nationally.

Gonzaga, St. Mary's as the big west coast anchors along with some other up and comers on the west coast. Portland? SantavCruz? Not sure who they might target.

I think UMass is looking to go bigger in FB, ala Connecticut. So, you might want to have RI in the north. Great natural rivalry game as well for the Rams and Friars. Reading between the lines it doesn't look like anything's happening tomorrow, but these conference things can change almost overnight. I'd expect UC to be seeing if there's any interest in them from the B12, or maybe even Houston. CT's got to be really peeved at the ACC as their academics fit the ACC model moreso than UL, and they appear to be the odd man out at this point.

UMASS is football conference shopping, so they are out. Perhaps Temple and Memphis stays bball only? Creighton seems like a natural too.

Word here is that a similar idea is being talked about except even more nationally.

Gonzaga, St. Mary's as the big west coast anchors along with some other up and comers on the west coast. Portland? SantavCruz? Not sure who they might target.

Where's here?

Why would anyone think a coast to coast basketball conference would be a good idea? The travel would be worse than what the Big East is looking at now and those 11 PM start road games would get old quick.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21353826/big-easts-non-football-members-meet-discuss-possible-breakaway

CBS article on the same subject. Bills are mentioned as a candidate. Likely decision before July 1. We HAVE to keep this success up for at least this year to make ourselves a good option.

In my opinion the key to the 7 splitting off will be whether they can retain the NCAA tourney credits from previous seasons. The tv money won't be materially different whether they are in the watered down football conference or the basketball only version.

It sounds like the basketball only schools only have control of this situation until July 1 so this will go down quickly. Hopefully our esteemed president is on top of this and not overly focused on saving his own job...

In my opinion the key to the 7 splitting off will be whether they can retain the NCAA tourney credits from previous seasons. The tv money won't be materially different whether they are in the watered down football conference or the basketball only version.

It sounds like the basketball only schools only have control of this situation until July 1 so this will go down quickly. Hopefully our esteemed president is on top of this and not overly focused on saving his own job...

Agreed. Unfortunately this was just tweeted by Andy Katz and others...

"Temple AD Bill Bradshaw told me contract with Big East states that Temple became full voting member on July 1, 2012"

Temple being a full voting member means that the 7 schools don't have the voting block to retain the assets of the conference. They can obviously still break off, but it would be at a much greater cost.

-Katz putting SLU's name in the mix of another re-shuffle is a good thing

-per the article the beast bball schools are expected to get between $1.06 and $1.41mil per year in tv money, do we know what the A10 provides????

-interesting note at the end of the article on the MSG contract, the Barclays Center looks like a pretty good move by the A10

-Katz putting SLU's name in the mix of another re-shuffle is a good thing

-per the article the beast bball schools are expected to get between $1.06 and $1.41mil per year in tv money, do we know what the A10 provides????

-interesting note at the end of the article on the MSG contract, the Barclays Center looks like a pretty good move by the A10

I think it is just under $400,000.