Next Coach

GOSLU68

Ideally the big money boosters would make an offer to a big name coach that they couldn't refuse.

The Murray State coach is brand new as of last year. Billy Kennedy, who built that team, left to go to Texas A&M.

No thanks on the izzo tree. That tree hasn't produced much fruit.

I don't really like the assistant idea, but if you have to go assistant go with a recruiting assistant.

How about this fella. http://www.gocards.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/richardson_kareem00.html . Localish guy, experience at Louisville, Xavier, Drake. Good recruiter by all accounts.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/antigua_orlando00.html - Experience under Calipari at UK and Memphis as well as at Pitt

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

according to this website, http://www.hoopcoach.org/forum/topics/salaries-of-68-head-basketball-coaches-from-ncaa-tournament ,

bennett is making 400k per year at smc. strictly according to this, rickma made nearly twice as much per year as bennett did. definitely room for a big pay raise for him. already has ties to us, and has proven hes the level we need to continue the rise we've been on recently. the question is, can we lure him away from northern california....

I think, immediately at the conclusion of the season, Chaifetz, with his check book, and May need to fly out to Moraga, California and convince Randy Bennett to be our next coach,

If he can recruit and successfully win at St Mary's, think what he could do for SLU.

Also, he familiar with SLU as an ex-assistant.

I like the idea if they can pull it off. I don't think his SLU connection is very strong as he was only here for a year. I expect him to take a Pac-12 job, but if the good Doctor writes a big enough check, who knows. Landing him would certainly make a statement that we are serious about maintaining a strong program. Bennett could help us renew the Aussie pipeline. I view it as a long shot, but it is worth a phone call.

I like the idea if they can pull it off. I don't think his SLU connection is very strong as he was only here for a year. I expect him to take a Pac-12 job, but if the good Doctor writes a big enough check, who knows. Landing him would certainly make a statement that we are serious about maintaining a strong program. Bennett could help us renew the Aussie pipeline. I view it as a long shot, but it is worth a phone call.

Do you think he will continue to make a large financial commitment to the program? Or here's 12 mil for an arena, its on you guys now.

I don't really like the assistant idea, but if you have to go assistant go with a recruiting assistant.

How about this fella. http://www.gocards.c...n_kareem00.html . Localish guy, experience at Louisville, Xavier, Drake. Good recruiter by all accounts.

http://www.ukathleti..._orlando00.html - Experience under Calipari at UK and Memphis as well as at Pitt

I think Kareem Richardson would be a good choice.

Anybody like Anthony Grant (Alabama)? SLU would probably have to drop $2 to get him.... not gonna happen if we only paid RM $1. Gregg Marshall (Wichita State) or Dan Hurley (Rhode Island) seem like reasonable targets. A lot of good candidates are already in the A10, so it might be harder to get them and even harder to stay under $1. Biondi best pony up.

Anybody like Anthony Grant (Alabama)? SLU would probably have to drop $2 to get him.... not gonna happen if we only paid RM $1. Gregg Marshall (Wichita State) or Dan Hurley (Rhode Island) seem like reasonable targets. A lot of good candidates are already in the A10, so it might be harder to get them and even harder to stay under $1. Biondi best pony up.

I like Ben Jacobsen from UNI. I think it would take a lot to get him to leave UNI however.

I like Ben Jacobsen from UNI. I think it would take a lot to get him to leave UNI however.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5025035

Hard deal to compete with, doesn't follow the Biondinomics of lowering your pay the longer you work. But really someone is going to have to pony up in order to get a full coaching staff. It is one thing to have a great HC, but the assistants also matter.

How about this fella. http://www.gocards.c...n_kareem00.html . Localish guy, experience at Louisville, Xavier, Drake. Good recruiter by all accounts.

And Kareem's coach in college was our very own, Jim Crews.

I would put Randy Bennett as a huge long shot. Yes, he was an assistant here for 2 years, but that was over 10 years ago and we are the only place he has coached that wasn't on the west coast. He's from the west coast. The only reason he was here was Romar. He seems to be mentioned for Pac-12 jobs when they open, but I'm not sure how much interest he is really generating. Nevertheless, I would be very surprised if he came here.

As far as I'm concerned, there are 4 possible avenues we could take. I'm listing them below, in no order of preference, as there would be good and bad choices in each group.

Mid-major head coach: I've done searches of mid-major head coaches looking for particularly successful ones. None really stand out, but someone could put together a good season this year and turn into a good possibility. Would probably have to pony up money to get a good one, because successful ones are hot commodities. Gregg Marshall at Wichita State comes to mind, but I think he might be getting paid good money there.

High major assistant coach: They can be a gamble, as some work out well, while others don't work out when they're the top guy. A good one might become an option to leave for a BCS conference team in 2-4 years, depending on success. One that comes to mind is Chris Collins. He's been an assistant at Duke for a while now, son of a former NBA coach, and a midwestern guy (from Chicago).

BCS Conference head coach: The last few years, we have seen the occasional BCS conference head coach, who just a few years ago was a successful mid-major coach, leave their BCS school for a program that might be actually a better situation. The best example here was Greg McDermott leaving Iowa State a few years ago to return to the Valley and coach at Creighton. Not sure who might fit that mold in a few months.

Presently unemployed former head coach: Looking for another Majerus type situation who is working in TV or a BCS conference coach who just was fired and has to decide to take a year off or get back into coaching.

Here's a top 10 list from espn dated May 2012. I'm not sure if any of these guys got hired, but there are some interesting prospects. http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/58925/top-ten-thursday-assistants-40-and-under

The guy at Mizzou Tim Fuller might be interesting. He seems very well thought of plus he's already established in the area.

The guy at Mizzou Tim Fuller might be interesting. He seems very well thought of plus he's already established in the area.

Fuller would be very interesting.

Also if anyone ever wants to join the Porter Moser bandwagon feel free to message me for details.

This must be a record for a coach-related thread. No mention of PM until the 67th post and even then, it was by you.

Surprised nobody mentioned Porter Moser as a Head Coach with associate Head Coach being Brad Soderberg and Assistant Head Coach Drew Deiner. The only thing left would be to find a DBO.