Billiken gear

BLIKNS

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

i think its pretty simple.... @billikenfan05do you still have the arena shop dudes contact info... lets just get him on the horn, figure out how far he got in the process, who he engaged - then do the deal he balked at

I don't have contact information for him. I'm almost positive he owns St. Louis Dugout at South County Mall, though.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't have contact information for him. I'm almost positive he owns St. Louis Dugout at South County Mall, though.

Is there anyway you guys that produce our awesome podcasts could get ahold of former players. Doesn’t have to be just men’s basketball either. It’d be great, and probably more effective, to former players from all sports involved. If you guys want, I could draft a generic email about wanting new gear and leave a space where fans and former players can just add their name and email it to May, so everybody won’t have to waste time drafting their own emails specific emails. It’s a pretty efficient way to say what we need to say and get the most people involved.

dennis_w likes this

Just now, Reinert310 said:

Is there anyway you guys that produce our awesome podcasts could get ahold of former players. Doesn’t have to be just men’s basketball either. It’d be great, and probably more effective, to former players from all sports involved. If you guys want, I could draft a generic email about wanting new gear and leave a space where fans and former players can just add their name and email it to May, so everybody won’t have to waste time drafting their own emails specific emails. It’s a pretty efficient way to say what we need to say and get the most people involved.

I agree completely, I'm in contact with most guys I attended SLU with. To kind of piggy back off the post you replied to and an additional response to @NextYearBill. I think there's something to be said for trying to change the long term issue of merchandising of all types, jerseys are important, but there are still a ton of opportunities to have the Billiken on everyday items.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I agree completely, I'm in contact with most guys I attended SLU with. To kind of piggy back off the post you replied to and an additional response to @NextYearBill. I think there's something to be said for trying to change the long term issue of merchandising of all types, jerseys are important, but there are still a ton of opportunities to have the Billiken on everyday items.

Absolutely. And everybody has a life, jobs, families. So if we have a basic email already drafted that people can just add their name to and click send, it takes almost no time at all. And we can tell people, “if you want to add or change anything in this email, by all means. But it would mean a lot if we could as many people involved as possible.”

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

Absolutely. And everybody has a life, jobs, families. So if we have a basic email already drafted that people can just add their name to and click send, it takes almost no time at all. And we can tell people, “if you want to add or change anything in this email, by all means. But it would mean a lot if we could as many people involved as possible.”

Basically what having a pre-written email does is minimizes the times people will say, “oh yeah, this is a great idea. I’m gonna send Chris May an email about gear this weekend.” And then real life happens and our original email gets buried in their inbox and nothing ever actually happens.

my fear is this email campaign just gets pushed aside like everything else. i dont trust the AD to do anything cool (other than secure top bars at tournament sites).

I'm talking about putting $5k together and get this done ourselves.

10 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Basically what having a pre-written email does is minimizes the times people will say, “oh yeah, this is a great idea. I’m gonna send Chris May an email about gear this weekend.” And then real life happens and our original email gets buried in their inbox and nothing ever actually happens.

I want to include research with it. I also don’t want to pose the issue as an AD fuok up but as a hood opportunity for improvement. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I want to include research with it. I also don’t want to pose the issue as an AD fuok up but as a hood opportunity for improvement. 

Oh, for sure. I don’t mean drafting it by the end of the day today. We should all get together and do research and figure out what exactly we want to say. But I just think we should have a pretty uniform template to provide to other fans and former players so they don’t have to put in too much work. That’s all.

7 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

my fear is this email campaign just gets pushed aside like everything else. i dont trust the AD to do anything cool (other than secure top bars at tournament sites).

I'm talking about putting $5k together and get this done ourselves.

Get enough people involved, with thorough enough research for why it can benefit the university, they’ll absolutely take it seriously. But 05 is right, it needs to be done the right way.

39 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Better to use a template but encourage folks to add their own, personal heartfelt reasons for the need for increased merchandising, IMHO 

mhg

Just now, Billikenbooster said:

Better to use a template but encourage folks to add their own, personal heartfelt reasons for the need for increased merchandising, IMHO 

mhg

Absolutely! But 05 is 100% right, we gotta do the research first. Make sure it’s thorough and easy to understand. And we need to present in a way that shows how it can improve the university, instead of as a failure from certain people.

There is nothing worse than walking into a store and being engulfed by black and Puke gold while beautiful Billiken blue is nowhere to be found. SLU should have a local presence in dept stores likes Penny’s (not sure still around) and Kohl’s just for the general fans. 

I purchased a Kwamain blue jersey several years ago and it I still love. Now I have kids, I cannot find any gear of quality to purchase for them. Very sad, but if we do not make a fuss, things won’t change.

7 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

There is nothing worse than walking into a store and being engulfed by black and Puke gold while beautiful Billiken blue is nowhere to be found. SLU should have a local presence in dept stores likes Penny’s (not sure still around) and Kohl’s just for the general fans. 

I purchased a Kwamain blue jersey several years ago and it I still love. Now I have kids, I cannot find any gear of quality to purchase for them. Very sad, but if we do not make a fuss, things won’t change.

I’d settle for having gear at Dick’s and Rally House, but more than anything, having deals with online distributors. 

The gear offerings around town have greatly improved over the years. Rally House on Brentwood has a good selection of SLU gear now. Retro gear would be awesome, as would jerseys, although I question the demand for adult jerseys. It seems quite a few posters would buy a jersey, so I guess it’ll be an easy way to identify fellow posters at games if such an initiative is successful.

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

The gear offerings around town have greatly improved over the years. Rally House on Brentwood has a good selection of SLU gear now. Retro gear would be awesome, as would jerseys, although I question the demand for adult jerseys. It seems quite a few posters would buy a jersey, so I guess it’ll be an easy way to identify fellow posters at games if such an initiative is successful.

I’d be willing to wager there’d be plenty of local high school/college age kids, especially with how many local kids we have on our roster, that would love to be able to purchase Billikens jerseys.

4 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I’d be willing to wager there’d be plenty of local high school/college age kids, especially with how many local kids we have on our roster, that would love to be able to purchase Billikens jerseys.

Probably so. I wasn’t thinking of college students in the adults category. I still question the actual demand, especially since jerseys would be pricey.

Edit: these are reasonable price points. 
https://www.fanatics.com/kentucky_wildcats_nike_replica_jersey_-_white/t-56639262+o-72+d-4244236+f-9303679+z-7-2078825405?utm_medium=cse&_s=GPA_CA&sku=12164469&gclid=CjwKCAjwvMqDBhB8EiwA2iSmPKtpVGgCGugDUvtYTbHIKkUhk44vxQRHvHGtREpC68t0d8nlpzE2UxoCF4MQAvD_BwE

https://www.rallyhouse.com/Nike-Missouri-Tigers-Black-Replica-Jersey-19860579?gclid=CjwKCAjwvMqDBhB8EiwA2iSmPDWm8cVBGUd7xNSQYu365RCNCWTKv_6GJdscLKZDnJT_h8qJc9fqxRoCO5MQAvD_BwE

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Probably so. I wasn’t thinking of college students in the adults category. I still question the actual demand, especially since jerseys would be pricey.

You could price the jerseys to make it worth your while. Even start out with a limited supply, and do a big promotion saying “limited time offer! Get them while they last”, and use it to judge demand for the jerseys. You wouldn’t have to fully stock store shelves right away. 

16 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Hard disagree, the merchandise situation is a quality vs quantity situation. There are certainly options available but are they really anything you would wear to an event other than a Billiken game? My guess is no. 

the demand for adult jerseys is there. You have an entire student section and student body as a target market. If they are a quality nike replica non-student adults will be interested, don’t forget that high schoolers wear adult sizes too. You have to look beyond the classic “grown men shouldn’t wear jerseys to games” trope.

Reinert310 likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Hard disagree, the merchandise situation is a quality vs quantity situation. There are certainly options available but are they really anything you would wear to an event other than a Billiken game? My guess is no. 

the demand for adult jerseys is there. You have an entire student section and student body as a target market. If they are a quality nike replica non-student adults will be interested, don’t forget that high schoolers wear adult sizes too. You have to look beyond the classic “grown men shouldn’t wear jerseys to games” trope.

I’m genuinely curious what you’re looking for with the bolded part above. I have multiple pullovers and polos that I wear outside of going to games. Again, I actually think the selection has noticeably improved in the last ~10 years.

You may be right on jerseys.

billiken_roy likes this

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I’m genuinely curious what you’re looking for with the bolded part above. I have multiple pullovers and polos that I wear outside of going to games. Again, I actually think the selection has noticeably improved in the last ~10 years.

I think you may be right that it’s improved, but it still far from where it should be, especially being the only D1 school and the only basketball team in the city. The Rally House selection is ok. But when you compare to the Mizzou section in the very same store, it’s disappointing. And when you look at merch available online, where most people shop these days, it’s beyond disappointing. Both can be true.

I agree with 05. The merchandise situation right now is a quantity vs. quality issue. Compare SLU to basketball-first schools like Dayton, Gonzaga, Butler, Marquette, etc. and you will find that we have a lower proportion of signature branded merchandise. As a Nike school, we have far more cheaper options as a proportion of merchandise offerings than those other schools. Not being informed at all, it seems like the university doesn’t properly understand the value of offering premium offerings like the other schools I mentioned.  

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

What I want to see is options. We have a minor league baseball like selection. It’s like 1 Nike polo and pullover a year in blue. They  almost always settle for the Billiken head, mix in the Saint Louis or SLU wordmark. And sometimes they don’t even use the appropriate logo, and instead it’s a genetic font. Finally the most embarrassing part? There are still online retailers selling new product with the old wordmark or Billiken and not in vintage or throwback style. 

I would like to be able to find options in blue/white/gray/black(Roy don’t @ me lol.) I want to find items that are casually stylish, or at least styles that never date. everything available is just so vanilla. Kids today are hipper on style than ever before. 

Reinert310 likes this