espn link for the new rules

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=1792535

it appears they are just dropping the 5/8 rule. however, steps are being taken to tighten up academic progress requirements. finally a move that moves the rest of the college basketball world toward creating real student-athletes.

also under andy katz's daily word column, there is a blurb that old depaul coach, pat kennedy, is probably going to try to get hired at towson state. i guess he is feeling heat at montana after two straight horrible seasons there. pat should head to car lot somewhere if he wants a job that fits his talents.

From the Unews:

The 5/8 rule, which currently prohibits a team from signing more than five players in one season and more than eight players during two seasons, restricts the Billikens from signing another player immediately. However, the NCAA Board of Directors is expected to repeal the rule in their meeting today. Assuming that the board votes to repeal the rule, Soderberg and his staff have one more scholarship available, which could be awarded in the reasonably near future or saved until next season. "It would have to be for a special player. We're not just going to give it away frivolously," Soderberg said.

http://www.unewsonline.com/vnews/display.v...9/4091bfd0443df

David, I believe the problem/issue runs something this....

Coach Joe Jones, for example, is the head coach of a high profile Nike AAU team in Los Angeles which consist of the best players in Southern California. This same Coach Joe Jones also manages/coaches a team made up of good former California D1 players that plays a number of pre-season exhibition games in late October-November.

The Coach Jones exhibition team is paid $30,000 per game and they play ten pre-season games across the West Coast. The ten players get $1,000 a game and Coach Jones pockets $20,000 per game.

Now the problem. Any college that contracts pre-season games with Coach Jones' exhibition team is given high priority or exclusive access to Coach Jones' AAU players. In summary, some colleges are scheduling certain exhibition teams just to assure access to certain high school players. All-in-all, just another way of buying players!

Roy, Roy, Roy ... we don't want Pat in the used car business ... those of us who are trying to run a good clean ethical business are trying to get rid of him now. Maybe he could get into Law or something like that ... maybe home remodeling. I'm sure there is some place for Pat besides the used car business.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

sorry skip. i always forget i am stepping on your toes when i make that analogy. folks, i have met skip, and i can assure you he isnt the stereotype. in fact, if david nark had a daughter, skip is the used car guy i would want her to marry. now my daughter..... that is a different story. :-)

bigmac, you are correct there are a lot of snakes in my business. probably why i never have gotten rich doing it as i refuse to play that game or lower myself to that level. i have helped a few guys out here on mortgage questions or to see if the "deal" they are getting is really a deal. anytime guys.

Thanks Roy ... I was just messing with you ... I know you aren't being personal ... you are correct though that there are very many snakes in the used car business ... sometimes it makes it tough because people come in and they have been told so many lies that when you try to be straight with them ... your deal doesn't look so good.

I don't want to conduct business on Billikens.com ... but if anyone ever needs any assistance ... or info or advice on a deal or the value of a trade or whatever ... feel free to ask I will do anything I can to help ...

I think at 42 I am a little old to marry yours or Narks daughters ... besides I don't think my wife would like it.

Skip, I don't have any daughters, but I have a son on the way within the next seven weeks (pictures and details will follow early this summer). Do you have any potential used car saleswomen? My boy will be on the market in 25 years or so, and I am sure that he will appreciate a woman who knows her wheels and college basketball.

2 stepdaughters 9 and 13. The 13 year old plays basketball and volleyball ... but isn't much interested in watching. I'm sure she will become intersted in cars very soon. Congrats on your new son.