US News and World Report Rankings

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I can't think of one job interview I had or gave where the question of my nor the interviewees school's ranking came up.  Not a one.  Seems most wanted to knwo if you had a degree and coudl prove it (transcripts) rather than what the name was on the paper.  Much ado about nothing in my book.

Show me one school where their recruiting literature says "Come here, get guaranteed job."  The degree opens the door.  The person seals the deal.

my daughter's school, Rose Hulman Institute of Technology all but guaranteed us she'd have a job by graduation.   their placement numbers were phenomenal and continue to be such.   it was their number one carrot the had out for us when my daughter was looking for her college her senior year of college and i have never asked her, but for me it was the number one reason i turned my back on my alma mater to begin to endorse Rose whenever we discussed.

for the record, SLU did absolutely nothing to help me find a job in 1982.   i admit i didnt have anything beyond an average transcript for slu to help me, but still one would think..........i have no idea what the slu placement numbers are now, but i will tell you when we visited the slu engineering school and met with the head of the department and knowing what the Rose placement numbers were for like the last 15 years prior to that meeting, when i asked him about placement numbers upon graduation or before, he said, "oh most of my grads dont go to the job market with their undergrad degree.  Most go to grad school."   He refused to give me an answer.   we were done with SLU at that point for my daughter's undergrad path.   

and she has done very well for herself with her Rose degree in hand.  so no second thoughts or what if's imo.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Wasn't SLU in the 60's or 70's at one point?

What happened to the MBA program ranking?  At one point not that long ago it was top 40 and now has dropped to 93.

Yes, I recall us being in the 70s.  A few schools that were once considered "Regional" universities are now on the "National" list, ahead of us - Villanova, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, Gonzaga, San Diego, etc. - so that pushes us down a little bit.  But more importantly, a lot of schools that were once behind us are now ahead of us.

brianstl likes this

I may be wrong but isn’t a big factor in coming up with these rankings the profiles of the classes admitted, ie GPA and test score averages needed for admissions? If I’m correct it’s not hard to figure out why we’ve dropped. Location, location, location. WC schools have a big advantage there. I would also add that Zaga, Nova, and other such schools, private/religious, have helped themselves with their hoops success. 

A few years ago, I looked at rankings, and particularly where SLU used to fit. One consistent them is the number of Top 100-150 East coast, West coast, or Texas schools which I had previously never heard of. It felt like another example of how the economy changed and shifted jobs to the coasts. SLU will have to be dynamic to stay relevant. I think Pestello was a move in the right direction, and hopefully SLU keeps it up.

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The endowment arms race of the past couple of decades years has caused a lot of schools to sink in the rankings.  The top 50 is dominated by schools with strong ties to tech, the big law firms and Wall Street.

SLU still has a top 100 endowment, but that has been dropping.  SLU's investment returns were some of the worst among endowments for the last year I could find.  

5 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

A few years ago, I looked at rankings, and particularly where SLU used to fit. One consistent them is the number of Top 100-150 East coast, West coast, or Texas schools which I had previously never heard of. It felt like another example of how the economy changed and shifted jobs to the coasts. SLU will have to be dynamic to stay relevant. I think Pestello was a move in the right direction, and hopefully SLU keeps it up.

Pestello has been at SLU for 8 years now.  During that time the school's academic ranking and endowment ranking have gone down.  The US News ranking problems started under Biondi and the largest drop happened under Biondi.  The endowment thing is more recent.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU still has a top 100 endowment, but that has been dropping.  SLU's investment returns were some of the worst among endowments for the last year I could find.  

With the economy shifting to tech and finance over the last couple decades, we've seen the rise of small schools near those business centers or focused on those fields.  In most cases their endowments are larger than SLU's on a per student basis.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Pestello has been at SLU for 8 years now.  During that time the school's academic ranking and endowment ranking have gone down.  The US News ranking problems started under Biondi and the largest drop happened under Biondi.  The endowment thing is more recent.

Back to Biondi?

Is he still alive and working?

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I can't think of one job interview I had or gave where the question of my nor the interviewees school's ranking came up.  Not a one.  Seems most wanted to knwo if you had a degree and coudl prove it (transcripts) rather than what the name was on the paper.  Much ado about nothing in my book.

Show me one school where their recruiting literature says "Come here, get guaranteed job."  The degree opens the door.  The person seals the deal.

Because it doesn't happen at the interview part of the process, it happens as applications and resumes are screened.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

With the economy shifting to tech and finance over the last couple decades, we've seen the rise of small schools with proximity to those business centers.  In most cases their endowments are larger than SLU's on a per student basis.

SLU's endowment per student is larger than Georgetown.  Among it's peers in the US News national university rankings SLU's endowment per student is in the top 40.  

Someone needs to explain this whole endowment thing to me.  Schools build up these massive endowments that they never touch or use to improve the school in any way.  Yet, somehow the size of a school's endowment is factored into how good the school is in the rankings.  Why?  I feel like there is part of the equation I am not seeing.

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU's endowment per student is larger than Georgetown.  Among it's peers in the US News national university rankings SLU's endowment per student is in the top 40.  

Meanwhile, Santa Clara, Pepperdine, Villanova and other schools smaller than SLU -- who are more closely aligned with the economy in terms of curriculum and geography -- zoomed right past us.  And as I pointed out, their endowment per student is larger.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Because it doesn't happen at the interview part of the process, it happens as applications and resumes are screened.

This was 50 years ago, I was directly hired from my clinical internship when I graduated with my masters from SLU.

Later, when I was doing the hiring and it was a new grad, grads from certain programs I would not touch. 

4 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-how about this? BoT goes aggressive and hires the Jesuit Prez of G'Twn (guessing their prez is a Jesuit), this guy gets to missing his former BEast presidents and says "hey, it's me here now, bring SLU into the BEast" and it happens

-I can dream

He's not a Jesuit. Here is his wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_J._DeGioia

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Meanwhile, Santa Clara, Pepperdine, Villanova and other schools smaller than SLU -- who are more closely aligned with the economy in terms of curriculum and geography -- zoomed right past us.  And as I pointed out, their endowment per student is larger.

You can point to those examples, that doesn't explain why UMass, Gonzaga, Marquette, Buffalo, Auburn, Illinois Chicago,  Worcester, Iowa State, San Diego and Elon have all zoomed right past SLU.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Someone needs to explain this whole endowment thing to me.  Schools build up these massive endowments that they never touch or use to improve the school in any way.  Yet, somehow the size of a school's endowment is factored into how good the school is in the rankings.  Why?  I feel like there is part of the equation I am not seeing.

Given a choice between asking alumni for more money and actually spending any endowment money, the average university administrator will ask alumni for more money every time. Any money in the endowment fund will not be spent unless it’s for something absolutely critical, like their own salaries. Anything else is not a reason to actually spend endowment money on. I have no idea why, it’s just the way it is. And this is not a criticism of SLU at all, any school you can name (Harvard, Yale, NYU, Emory, Columbia, Brown, you name it) has the same basic philosophy about spending endowment money, which is don’t spend it.

@billiken_roy and @3star_recruit:  I completely understand the tech degree impetus one gets from certain schools, Rose included.  In the East, if you want engineering, you are best to look at Va Tech and Penn State.  If it's business, it's Penn.  Notre Dame, Duke and Stanford all have cult-like status and massive alumni networks.  A co-worker's daughter went to Notre Dame for Education.  Not very smart expenditure in terms of return on tuition (his words).  I get all that hands down.

@Pistol: I was the hiring process for the most part of 15 or so years.  I reviewed applications and resumes and farmed them out to my staff for their input.  The question :do you have a degree" was asked.  Ditto as to "what was the major?"  But never, in all my time, did anyone say "this school over that school."  The folks I worked with from around the country had degrees from Radford, UMBC, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, Utah State, SIU-Carbondale, Mizzou, and South Carolina Sate to name a few.  Just saying based on my experience.  

Endowments are perpetual monies. They are designed to provide income to various needs. Most endowments will spend a fixed percentage of assets every year Thus the larger the asset base the larger payments. For a lot of universities student aid is the number one recipient. Endowments are not typically used for operations. A Harvard education is basically free for most students because of scholarship aid funded by their huge Endowment. I don’t know who SLU’s managers are but they have done a pretty crappy job . I think their results have been sub par. 

JMM28 and Box and Won like this

Universities with a broad academic base have been receiving significant amounts of  revenue from contractual work and research done for the government and for corporations. A part of this stream of revenue goes to the School's endowment. The research and contractual revenue received by schools with a large research base may become a major source of funds for their endowment. Examples of this are Cal Tech's Jet Propulsion Lab (Space related ops), and MIT's Draper Labs (Defense R&D). I believe SLU's medical area is starting to develop as a source of revenue for the University.

8 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@billiken_roy and @3star_recruit:  I completely understand the tech degree impetus one gets from certain schools, Rose included.  In the East, if you want engineering, you are best to look at Va Tech and Penn State.  If it's business, it's Penn.  Notre Dame, Duke and Stanford all have cult-like status and massive alumni networks.  A co-worker's daughter went to Notre Dame for Education.  Not very smart expenditure in terms of return on tuition (his words).  I get all that hands down.

@Pistol: I was the hiring process for the most part of 15 or so years.  I reviewed applications and resumes and farmed them out to my staff for their input.  The question :do you have a degree" was asked.  Ditto as to "what was the major?"  But never, in all my time, did anyone say "this school over that school."  The folks I worked with from around the country had degrees from Radford, UMBC, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, Utah State, SIU-Carbondale, Mizzou, and South Carolina Sate to name a few.  Just saying based on my experience.  

i dont thinkk Rose is considered a Tech degree. https://www.rose-hulman.edu/news/2022/the-survey-says-rose-hulman-number-one-in-us-news-engineering-rankings-for-24th-straight-year.html

I misspoke to a degree ..... I don't see Rose as a tech degree from IT&T Tech or Compuserve U.  I see it as a technology degree --- aerospace, engineering, rocket scie3nce ---- maybe advanced-type things.  No knock on Rose here.