US News and World Report Rankings

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, we should strive to become better and not let our rankings drop, but I am pretty sure there are some people here that will never be happy. U.S. News & World Report surveys 1,600 schools according to their website and dropping 2 ranks is not likely statistically different from the ranking we received last year (considering an aspect of the rankings are based on surveys of random students/graduates). We obviously have room for improvement but there are things to be excited about as well.

A few rankings to be happy about:

#1 Health Law program - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#4 Community Service- 2012 Washington Monthly College Rankings

#5 Physical Therapy - 2012 Soliant Health Top 10 Physical Therapy Schools

#9 Healthcare Management - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#9 basketball program - Lindy's College Sports

#13 Geriatrics program - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#17 entrepreneurship - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#20 international business - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#21 supply chain management - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#25 Physician Assistant - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#27 Part time Law - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#36 Occupational Therapy - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#36 Public Health - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#37 Part time MBA - 2013 U.S. News & World Report **This was 13 last year... :(

#50 Nursing - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

#63 Medical School (Primary Care) - 2013 U.S. News & World Report

Well ######. Wasn't that ranked #14 at one time? Looks like I can't defend anything then.

TOP 50 OR BUST

Maybe you're thinking of BusinessWeek's rankings? Our part-time MBA program has traditionally ranked high in BusinessWeek: http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/20111108/top-part-time-mba-programs-of-2011#slide11

Maybe you're thinking of BusinessWeek's rankings? Our part-time MBA program has traditionally ranked high in BusinessWeek: http://images.busine...of-2011#slide11

Nope. It was the U.S. News. Ranked #14 in 2010. However, this seems like a drastic fluctuation. From 14 >> 74>> 37?

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/11591960/Part-Time-MBA-Program-Ranked-No-14-by-US

Nope. It was the U.S. News. Ranked #14 in 2010. However, this seems like a drastic fluctuation. From 14 >> 74>> 37?

http://www.docstoc.c...ked-No-14-by-US

Here you guys go:

http://grad-schools....rankings/page+2

The #37 Ranking was for our part time MBA, not our traditional MBA (where we are 81). FYI, we accept over 89% of applicants to this program. It looks like most Part Time MBA's across the board take in over 70%. I think this is like an online degree... a money maker for the school and nothing much else?

Here you guys go:

http://grad-schools....rankings/page+2

The #37 Ranking was for our part time MBA, not our traditional MBA (where we are 81). FYI, we accept over 89% of applicants to this program, so not very selective.

Right. My question is what caused the drastic change in rankings (both positive and negative).

2010: 14

2011: 74

2012: 37

Edit: I'm assuming the 74 was the 2011 full-time ranking. Looks like the traditional MBA and the Part-time MBA have both fallen.

I don't see how we can justify our tuition. If you want to work in STL after graduation it would make much more sense to go to Mizzou for a much lower price then SLU. In fact every internship i had and now at my full time job (all major corps in STL) the majority of the people went to that state school we all make fun of.

Actually now that i think about Mizzou is probably a better choice no matter where you want to work. When i go to national trainings for work and say "Saint Louis University" people look at me like i went to a community college. At least people know that Mizzou is a legit university because they see them play football.

I don't see how we can justify our tuition. If you want to work in STL after graduation it would make much more sense to go to Mizzou for a much lower price then SLU. In fact every internship i had and now at my full time job (all major corps in STL) the majority of the people went to that state school we all make fun of.

http://www.slu.edu/x12524.xml

2012 Fiske Guide to Colleges "Best Buy Schools"

Posted Image"SLU was one of 50 institutions and one of only two Jesuit universities to make the national best buy list. Listings are based on the quality of academic offerings in relation to the cost of attendance."

Wonder how that works.

Just thought this would be interesting to share with everyone considering what has been happening. Clearly we are going in the wrong direction, but not as bad as I thought it would be (I expected not even in the top 100). Or maybe this won't hit our rankings until next year, but always still interesting.

http://colleges.usne...university-2506

The rankings are based largely on institutional data covering things like admission denials, alumni donations and such. There is also a survey that administrators fill out to rank other institutions, but even with this, the law school debacle probably had little effect.

Maybe SLU should report fake data like Emory.

• 9 years later...

New US News rankings out today:

15. Wash. U.

63. GW

67. UMass

72. Fordham

105. SLU

115. Loyola-Chi

121. Missouri and Kansas

127. Dayton

137. George Mason

151. Duquesne

166. VCU

182. Rhode Island and Missouri S&T

202. LaSalle

212. UMSL

234. Maryville

263. UMKC and SIUC

331-440. Missouri St. and SIUE

Liberal Arts Colleges: 15. Davidson, 18. Richmond

Regional Universities North: 10 St. Joe's, 20. St. Bonaventure

14 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Don’t get the Missouri S&T ranking. I’m a Purdue undergrad and much later SLU grad person, so no ties there. Just don’t get it as I always thought it was a good school. I guess it’s just not well rounded in the majors it offers outside of STEM. 

I think your right.  I believe the have the top Aerospace Engineering program in the country.

SLU_Lax likes this

13 hours ago, Compton said:

New US News rankings out today:

15. Wash. U.

63. GW

67. UMass

72. Fordham

105. SLU

115. Loyola-Chi

121. Missouri and Kansas

127. Dayton

137. George Mason

151. Duquesne

166. VCU

182. Rhode Island and Missouri S&T

202. LaSalle

212. UMSL

234. Maryville

263. UMKC and SIUC

331-440. Missouri St. and SIUE

Liberal Arts Colleges: 15. Davidson, 18. Richmond

Regional Universities North: 10 St. Joe's, 20. St. Bonaventure

-not quite sure what to think of this except I would like the ranking to be higher

I can't think of one job interview I had or gave where the question of my nor the interviewees school's ranking came up.  Not a one.  Seems most wanted to knwo if you had a degree and coudl prove it (transcripts) rather than what the name was on the paper.  Much ado about nothing in my book.

Show me one school where their recruiting literature says "Come here, get guaranteed job."  The degree opens the door.  The person seals the deal.

Old guy and AGB91 like this

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I can't think of one job interview I had or gave where the question of my nor the interviewees school's ranking came up.  Not a one.  Seems most wanted to knwo if you had a degree and coudl prove it (transcripts) rather than what the name was on the paper.  Much ado about nothing in my book.

Show me one school where their recruiting literature says "Come here, get guaranteed job."  The degree opens the door.  The person seals the deal.

Degrees from certain universities open up a whole lot more doors than others.  This is especially true in tech.  It's a numbers game.  If my degree opens up 15 doors and yours only opens up 3, my chances of success àre much higher.

48 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-not quite sure what to think of this except I would like the ranking to be higher

Agreed. It's a bit of a shoulder shrug. Could be higher over all (preferably top 100), but SLU is solidly above average within the A10 context.

The search for a good reason for having LaSalle in the A10 continues.

13 minutes ago, Compton said:

Agreed. It's a bit of a shoulder shrug. Could be higher over all (preferably top 100), but SLU is solidly above average within the A10 context.

The search for a good reason for having LaSalle in the A10 continues.

It's a pretty "meh" ranking.  

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Wasn't SLU in the 60's or 70's at one point?

What happened to the MBA program ranking?  At one point not that long ago it was top 40 and now has dropped to 93.

The endowment arms race of the past couple of decades years has caused a lot of schools to sink in the rankings.  The top 50 is dominated by schools with strong ties to tech, the big law firms and Wall Street.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

This is absolutely correct. What the school diploma does for you is to place you at the start line. From there on you have to do your own running. I have talked with cab drivers who had graduated from Harvard, and CFOs who graduated from UMass. It is really what you know and how you fit in a team that makes the difference.