US News and World Report Rankings

So since we have had such a hectic summer with the university in terms of administration and the law school in particular, I found this years rankings very interesting. (Note that last year SLU ranked in at 90). This year we are ranked at 92 in a tie with Stony Brook University - SUNY, Texas Christian University, University of San Diego, and University of Vermont. A few other area universities to give you perspective: University of Missouri (97), WashU (14), U of I (46), and Maryville (160). The only A10 school to outrank us as a national university is Fordham (unless I am missing someone).

Just thought this would be interesting to share with everyone considering what has been happening. Clearly we are going in the wrong direction, but not as bad as I thought it would be (I expected not even in the top 100). Or maybe this won't hit our rankings until next year, but always still interesting.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/st-louis-university-2506

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Biondi say he would make SLU the top-ranked Jesuit school once? Anyway, he made some crazy promise like that but his actions mean more than his words. Fleecing various departments' funds for cash, trying to eliminate faculty tenure, running the school like a real estate development company, ignoring the student body completely - these aren't moves that boost your rankings. The ranking will continue to drop until the Fake Tan Father drives off into the sunset in his golf cart.

It was 72 or so in 2006. I dont think we went any lower.

Clearly, Father Biondi's tenure should be over at SLU. Our University is in a serious tailspin in all facets - Academics, National Rankings, Teacher Morale, Sports Programs (Basketball is at a serious crossroads atm, and all our other sports are awful), Law School ranking is a complete joke, I dont think our MBA program is even ranked nationally, etc.

The only thing that seems to be going up is the price of the University - $35,000 tuition + Living, Room & Board. An easy $50,000.

The only thing that seems to be going up is the price of the University - $35,000 tuition + Living, Room & Board. An easy $50,000.

Careful with the facts there WCB. I'm okay with the statement, just want to make sure everyone knows the facts. While tuition + Room, Board, Expenses is just about $45,000, only approx. 3% of students pay that whole price. The average discount rate is right around 47-48%.

Careful with the facts there WCB. I'm okay with the statement, just want to make sure everyone knows the facts. While tuition + Room, Board, Expenses is just about $45,000, only approx. 3% of students pay that whole price. The average discount rate is right around 47-48%.

Buying a SLU education is similar to buying one of those damned American cars. Sticker price is 45 but you wind up paying 27 after all rebates and discounts are applied...

I have to think the initial cost of tuition probably scares away tons of good students. I guess kids just have to apply, then close their eyes and hope SLU comes back with a magical tuition figure that they can actually afford.

Didn't Biondi say he would make SLU the top-ranked Jesuit school once? Anyway, he made some crazy promise like that but his actions mean more than his words. Fleecing various departments' funds for cash, trying to eliminate faculty tenure, running the school like a real estate development company, ignoring the student body completely - these aren't moves that boost your rankings. The ranking will continue to drop until the Fake Tan Father drives off into the sunset in his golf cart.

Just like how he said we'd have a top 50 basketball program. We fortunately have one now, but he certainly had little to do with it.

Just like how he said we'd have a top 50 basketball program. We fortunately have one now, but he certainly had little to do with it.

-cast blame where it is due but for the bball program he hired Rick which had a lot to do with our getting where we are, mostly good in that hire

I have to think the initial cost of tuition probably scares away tons of good students. I guess kids just have to apply, then close their eyes and hope SLU comes back with a magical tuition figure that they can actually afford.

That's what you have to do no matter where you apply to these days, unless you're looking at a D-3 public school. Almost any private school has a huge sticker price, but then helps out with financial aid (expect for those greedy SOBs at WashU). Big public schools ("BCS" schools) have smaller sticker prices but almost no financial aid unless you are nearly homeless. My high school counselor told me that it would actually have cost me more to go to UW-Madison than to go to SLU because I wouldn't have receive some of the scholarships I did

That's what you have to do no matter where you apply to these days, unless you're looking at a D-3 public school. Almost any private school has a huge sticker price, but then helps out with financial aid (expect for those greedy SOBs at WashU). Big public schools ("BCS" schools) have smaller sticker prices but almost no financial aid unless you are nearly homeless. My high school counselor told me that it would actually have cost me more to go to UW-Madison than to go to SLU because I wouldn't have receive some of the scholarships I did

Agreed. It may scare a few kids away but it's almost understood these days that tuition is ridiculous and you just have to see who gives you the most money.

I dont think our MBA program is even ranked nationally, etc.

From the Business Journal:

"The undergraduate program at the John Cook School of Business at Saint Louis University ranked No. 87 in this year’s ranking. SLU'S MBA program ranked No. 37 this year, compared to No. 74 last year."

I dont know where they got their rankings, but from the US News National Rankings:

http://grad-schools....ankings/page+4#

St. Louis University - Cook School of Business - #81

Again, not something we should be proud of. Only 45% of our MBA graduates have a full time job when they graduate and at a price tag of $51,051 (looks to be the high end of tuition for MBAs nationwide), this is not a good sign.We don't have to be Harvard, but I won't stop bitching until we are Top 50. There should be no reason why we can't be a Top 50 school.

From the Business Journal:

"The undergraduate program at the John Cook School of Business at Saint Louis University ranked No. 87 in this year’s ranking. SLU'S MBA program ranked No. 37 this year, compared to No. 74 last year."

Thank you for posting this Box. These are very good rankings for our business school, especially the MBA program. Congrats to the staff at JCSB!!!!

I dont know where they got their rankings, but from the 2013 US News National Rankings:

http://grad-schools....ankings/page+4#

St. Louis University - Cook School of Business - #81

Again, not something we should be proud of. Only 45% of our MBA graduates have a full time job when they graduate and at a price tag of $51,051 (looks to be the high end of tuition for MBAs nationwide), this is not a good sign.We don't have to be Harvard, but I won't stop bitching until we are Top 50. There should be no reason why we can't be a Top 50 school.

A rather large jump in the rankings (per Box's statistics) is surely something to be proud of. Should it be celebrated as reaching an ultimate end goal? No. But it's a step in the right direction.

As much people ***** about the drop in rankings, myself included, it's nice to see some positive news.

A rather large jump in the rankings (per Box's statistics) is surely something to be proud of. Should it be celebrated as reaching an ultimate end goal? No. But it's a step in the right direction.

As much people ***** about the drop in rankings, myself included, it's nice to see some positive news.

I am confused, what jump in rankings? His rankings are cited wrong. I posted our ranking from US News... we are #81, not #37.