SLU Morale

DoctorB

Folks; I'm still out here listening, this is a very challenging time at SLU...

I'm not going to bore you with great detail, but just to say there are very sinister rumblings on campus as the new semester begins today. I don't even know where to start. First, and from the faculty point of view: there are also new top-down initiatives about faculty evaluation that are being floated. I know some of you are not sympathetic to tenure, or to faculty maybe. But the measures being floated are terribly draconian, and it would signal the complete dismemberment of whatever national reputation we've acquired in my lengthy stay here. Frankly, the full time faculty IS a university, and educators know this about schools in general. As of this morning, I think it is fair to say that faculty morale at SLU is at an all-time LOW.

All of this is on the heels of many things discussed at great leangth on here: the Law School debacle (I have had prestigious local attorneys tell me this is the worst set of decisions in the history of SLU); the many other similarly distrubing changes, etc. You fill in the blanks... it's become a long list.

Some have mentioned the other day about penny-pinching, and micro-managing. If you only knew... but I cannot go into detail here, as I stated.

How is this related to the Billikens board? It may seem random to some. But I do think the Majerus situation, and some of the implications, are symptomatic of much bigger issues. I notice that some of the responses on here are picking up on those similarities. None of this bodes well for SLU, and I know many on here are either current students, alumni, or strong supporters not just of basketball but SLU in general.

I'm reporting this all, just to let everyone outside the campus community know that there are lots of bad vibes right now at SLU, and I'm beginning to think some stuff is about to hit the fan, over this next school year. so stay tuned. this could be a very interesting year at SLU!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only speak for myself as an alumnus, but my regard for my alma mater is the lowest it's ever been right now.

Fr. Biondi's consistently baffling decision making and the university's drop in the national rankings don't exactly have me swelling with pride or feeling like I should continue donating money.

Well Dr. B. I don't doubt you. You may not realize it but this bad feeling is going on all over the country. People going to work just wondering when the cuts are coming not just to benefits but to jobs or laid off already. SLU may not be dealing with the situation that well either. This situation is just added to the stack of worry. We knew this was a possibility all along.

I feel for you Doc. I really do. Top down and draconian initiatives are part and parcel of any large business organization in today's business climate. It's got to be tough when outside reality bleeds through the thresholds of the Ivory Tower.

Yeah, totally. It's the exact same thing. Downgrading the value of my two degrees is exactly the equivalent of how any large business organization is run.

The real question is, are we going to break the top 100 this year in the national rankings?? Maybe even Lindenwood will be able to catch up with us. Mizzou will surely pass us this year, and those kids pay 1/4th of the price we pay at SLU.

I became a student at SLU when our ranking was in the high 60s / low 70s. I thought for sure we would be a top 50 University by now. No, no... we have gone in the completely wrong direction and tuition keeps skyrocketing. As an alum, I would not allow my kid (if I had one) to attend SLU. If your own Alumni dont want their kids going to SLU, you are doing something wrong.

... the Law School debacle...

Would someone point me to a post which describes the above referenced debacle, or briefly summarize it here? I'm not in the StL area nor a SLU grad so I'm not always in the loop on this type of info.

Would someone point me to a post which describes the above referenced debacle, or briefly summarize it here? I'm not in the StL area nor a SLU grad so I'm not always in the loop on this type of info.

Check out the last few pages of the SLU Law thread.

I'm reporting this all, just to let everyone outside the campus community know that there are lots of bad vibes right now at SLU, and I'm beginning to think some stuff is about to hit the fan, over this next school year. so stay tuned. this could be a very interesting year at SLU!

Dr. B, if you are hinting that a regime change may be in the offing for the SLU dictator, then I say viva la liberte!!! May the conspirators prevail. And when you go for the hit in the Wolf's Lair, make sure to set both charges before placing the bombs underneath the conference table. Don't rely on a one-arm guy for job.

Dr. B, if you are hinting that a regime change may be in the offing for the SLU dictator, then I say viva la liberte!!! May the conspirators prevail. And when you go for the hit in the Wolf's Lair, make sure to set both charges before placing the bombs underneath the conference table. Don't rely on a one-arm guy for job.

Or Tom Cruise.

Every organization needs to change or risk death. Fr B's been here since '87, that's 25 years for you non C&F'ers (old Biz school), and he's done a lot for the school. I was truly impressed w. the campus last January, but there does come a time to check out and bring in the new. I'm guessing we've reached that point.

It was the builidng they were in. The one arm guy did his part. But they changed the meeting to a wooden structure. If it was held in the concrete building, it would have taken 'em all down and the war would have been over a year earlier. And Fr. B shouldn't be compared to a mass murderering whack job.

Twenty five years? Really? Don' t they rotate priests and nuns through some sort of rotational set-up. Or does that end at the big collegaite level. What do I know .. to some 25 years is stability. To some its stagnation. Oh well ...

Back when we were deeply involved in "the situation" I had a friend who's kid was close to the violated. Neither here nor there, just close. At that time, I had heard some rumblings of the student body's outrage with the goiod reverend but wrote that off to utopian liberalism, the sign of the youthful times, business as usual, same-old-same-old, disconnects between the leaders and the led, and whatever etc. I didn't get along with Neil McDermott and Mary Bruemer when I was there; shat happens. There were some disquieting topics too that need not be discussed on here. But the general theme, no matter the topic, was general unrest, disillusionment with the U's leadership, disenchantment and disenfranchisement and general failing morale.

I happen to think that is everywhere and rises to the fore when situations like these get thrown out there but the general tone still seems to sound all sorts of fire alarms here at the U. Glad I'm gone. Glad both my kids are out of college. They chose their own schools for their own reasons but I think SLU is highly overpriced along with tons of other schools. How does one deliver a "truly caring environment with committed individuals" as my one daughter's school advertised and what does that really mean? And how do you measure it?

I could say us in the Fed ain't too big on morale right now but would expect no sympathetic sobbings just the same.

The silence from the Board of Trustees has also been deafening. Like so many other aspects of St. Louis, they clearly confuse membership in a club with leadership.

Boards essentially report to the man or woman they supervise. Things have to get bad (like loss of accreditation bad) before the average board will move to make a change. Turnover in the high level administration has been an issue for a long time though maybe not as public. The Board was surprisingly quiet when the financial aid professional judgement went public a few years ago. The only thing that is surprising is the quality of the undergraduate experience, considering low faculty and staff morale.

Twenty five years? Really? Don't they rotate priests and nuns through some sort of rotational set-up. Or does that end at the big collegaite level. What do I know...to some 25 years is stability. To some its stagnation.

SLU is entirely independent from the local Diocese and the Vatican. No rotations.

I agree with ABomb and some of the others. It is really difficult all around. Morale is low just about everywhere. Academia has historically existed in a vacuum as it relates to economy and it's impact, but this time is apparently different. I have heard directionally similar stories from friends at Wash U and Webster.

SLU is entirely independent from the local Diocese and the Vatican. No rotations.

Don't SLU and Biondi report up through the Missouri Province of the Jesuits? Jesuits rotate their guys every few years, typically.

Don't SLU and Biondi report up through the Missouri Province of the Jesuits? Jesuits rotate their guys every few years, typically.

This. This is the crux of all that has now come to fruition, and let me state that very often in the past, I was an avid supporter of Biondi, some evidence of his tenure will always remain: improvements to the campus, massive raise in the endowment... Not all is lost. And now, more important that ever, alumni and boosters need to remain involved in a positive manner to ensure that the greater future of the University is not sacrificed.

The thing is that Biondi is a rare situation for Jesuit Universities, the order is very fond of inserting new ideas and leaders on a fairly consistent basis, yet in Biondi they saw constant and sustained growth in SLU over the better part of twenty years. Unfortunately, they let this dance go on a little too long. The thing we have to remember here is that Biondi, with his "my way or nothing" style, still has in essence "a boss" the Missouri Provence leadership and the National leadership of the Jesuits at large.

These situations, whispers and murmors, bad press, and Alumni disenfranchisement should not go unnoticed by the higher powers, and most likely will not. There are a number of young Jesuits who are Presidents of lesser Jesuits Universities that would gladly take this job, in fact, the current Presidents of the University of Loyola Chicago and Boston College (not a lesser school in the rankings obviously) are SLU alumnus, perhaps perfect candidates for a vacancy if this came. (Sidenote: The University of Florida's President is also a SLU alumnus, how is the University PR not on all of this? Self nicknaming us the "Cradle of President's or something?"

The thing we have to do, as concerned Alumni, is remember that as in business or politics, this situation will not be solved by hurling toxic rhetoric, even if its deserved, that will not gain any positive momentum for a necessary change. We need to voice our concerns objectively and forward realistic solutions. The last thing that I am personally going to do is become uninvolved or unfeeling towards my Alma Mater, I intend to see SLU get back on the right path whether or not Biondi is involved.

Let's Go Bills.

This. This is the crux of all that has now come to fruition, and let me state that very often in the past, I was an avid supporter of Biondi, some evidence of his tenure will always remain: improvements to the campus, massive raise in the endowment... Not all is lost. And now, more important that ever, alumni and boosters need to remain involved in a positive manner to ensure that the greater future of the University is not sacrificed.

The thing is that Biondi is a rare situation for Jesuit Universities, the order is very fond of inserting new ideas and leaders on a fairly consistent basis, yet in Biondi they saw constant and sustained growth in SLU over the better part of twenty years. Unfortunately, they let this dance go on a little too long.

Not this. SLU is entirely independent. They do not report to the Missouri Jesuits or the national organization. Not for executive leadership.

Fr. Biondi is not the only long term president. Boston College, Canisius and others have had long standing Jesuit presidents. This is true, in part, because the institutions have struggled to find Jesuit priests to take the jobs. That is why institutions such as Georgetown no longer have a Jesuit at the helm. Even Fr. Garanzini at Loyola University Chicago has been there for ten years. He moved to Loyola after serving as Dean of the school of education at SLU. He did not like Biondi.

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Jesuit_Colleges_and_Universities