Evans

ACE

There was a report that Evans put on 20 more pounds?!? Didn't he put on 20 pounds last offseason? I had never seen a Billiken transform in one offseason the way Evans did from his freshman to sophomore season. This report of more muscle gain got me thinking about what his best role would be. Yes, it would be nice if he could continue to develop an outside shot, but I really think his bread and butter is going to be rebounding and scoring inside. Conklin seemed to get a ton of baskets because he was rarely doubled in the low post. Although Conk was a four and Evans is a 3, I could see DE doing a lot of damage in the paint in the same way. Some have raised concerns about DE being able to finish more consistently around the basket. We used to hear the same criticism of Conklin. With more muscle and maturity, Evans figures to get better.

I can see a frontline of Loe, Ellis and Evans... With Loe and Ellis drawing the opposing teams bigs to the perimeter, Evans can post up against opposing 3's and not have to worry about getting double-teamed. We do such a good job of spacing the floor, that I really think Evans can help us the most scoring inside and providing some of what Conklin did so well.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a report that Evans put on 20 more pounds?!? Didn't he put on 20 pounds last offseason? I had never seen a Billiken transform in one offseason the way Evans did from his freshman to sophomore season. This report of more muscle gain got me thinking about what his best role would be. Yes, it would be nice if he could continue to develop an outside shot, but I really think his bread and butter is going to be rebounding and scoring inside. Conklin seemed to get a ton of baskets because he was rarely doubled in the low post. Although Conk was a four and Evans is a 3, I could see DE doing a lot of damage in the paint in the same way. Some have raised concerns about DE being able to finish more consistently around the basket. We used to hear the same criticism of Conklin. With more muscle and maturity, Evans figures to get better.

I can see a frontline of Loe, Ellis and Evans... With Loe and Ellis drawing the opposing teams bigs to the perimeter, Evans can post up against opposing 3's and not have to worry about getting double-teamed. We do such a good job of spacing the floor, that I really think Evans can help us the most scoring inside and providing some of what Conklin did so well.

I saw Evans play in the summer league last weekend, there is no way he put on another 20 pounds. He looks to be in great shape but I would be shocked if he put on an additional 20 pounds.

I saw Evans play in the summer league last weekend, there is no way he put on another 20 pounds. He looks to be in great shape but I would be shocked if he put on an additional 20 pounds.

I agree with Westy. We were there at the same game, and while he looks to be in really great shape (as does Grandy), I just don't think he packed on an additional 20 lbs from the previous season. No way he is 40 lbs bigger than he was his freshman year.

20 lbs of solid muscle in 3 1/2 months is pretty tough if not down right impossible. Maybe they are talking about since his freshman year, so 20 total

"We're not doctors, gentlemen. The NCAA has testing programs for this. Let's let them worry about it. Besides, it's not that hard to put on 35 pounds over the summer, if you hit the gym real hard."

-James Caan, The Program (1993)

You can learn all you ever need from The Program. I mean it. Gotdamn everything. Here's another lesson:

Halle Berry == Kristy Swanson. Gotdammit.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I think I may know where the 20lbs extra came from - in my mind I never heard that Evans put on an extra 20lbs but some think that when they hear someone say that Evans is in great shape and looks really strong that that automatically means he put on weight.

I agree w/ Ace and posted earlier that I think DE might take over for BC if someone else doesn't step up. However, someone also mentioned CR looked more buff as well. How'd he do in those summer games at Vashon?

Why, why, why would we have DE try to replace BC?

Why, why, why would we have DE try to replace BC?

He's only an inch shorter, he's bulked up according to this thread, he knows the offense, he's a better rebounder and defender, and he's more athletic. Plus, skip, I put a caveat in there, if any of the other candidates don't step up to fill BC's role.

He's only an inch shorter, he's bulked up according to this thread, he knows the offense, he's a better rebounder and defender, and he's more athletic. Plus, skip, I put a caveat in there, if any of the other candidates don't step up to fill BC's role.

He's a better defender as a guard maybe, but do we really want DE guarding the 6'9" power forward when we have CE,RL,CR,JM, and GG on the roster? Why do we even have the thought that we can get 80 minutes a game at the 4 and 5 from those 5 players. JM and GG haven't played much but for teams like us, that is going to be the norm. Soph's, Jr's and Sr's are going to play with most freshman sitting and learning. It isn't an indictment of their skills, it's a testament to the skills of the older players.

He will replace BC, as the most physical defensive player we have just ahead JJ.

Physical doesn't mean move inside. 2 of the most physical defenders I've seen in a Bills uniform were both guards. Fisher and Redden ... should we have moved them inside?

Look, things are changing in the Billiken world (at least while RM is still here) let go of the old mindset, embrace change.

We all know RM is a little unconventional. He's all about creating mismatches. If we're going to have bigs like Rob and Cody knocking down outside shots, why not have a 3 like Dwayne who can post up and score inside? There probably are not a lot of 3's strong enough to guard Evans. DE already is a little unconventional. Most small forward don't have rebounding numbers like him. I've heard RM compare him to Adrian Dantley, a 3 who did most of his damage inside. Sure, he could step out and hit some shots, but he made a living scoring inside.

Just a guess, but if DE was stronger last year he probably would not have missed those drives to the hoop he missed a lot last year. My guess is this is why he's gone on a "get stronger" regimen over the summer. I'd like to see him stay at the 3, but won't be surprised if he's our 4 at the start of the season. Something like this: KM, MM, CE, DE, RL.

We all know RM is a little unconventional. He's all about creating mismatches. If we're going to have bigs like Rob and Cody knocking down outside shots, why not have a 3 like Dwayne who can post up and score inside? There probably are not a lot of 3's strong enough to guard Evans. DE already is a little unconventional. Most small forward don't have rebounding numbers like him. I've heard RM compare him to Adrian Dantley, a 3 who did most of his damage inside. Sure, he could step out and hit some shots, but he made a living scoring inside.

I never said, nor do I think that DE can't ever go inside.

Physical doesn't mean move inside. 2 of the most physical defenders I've seen in a Bills uniform were both guards. Fisher and Redden ... should we have moved them inside?

Look, things are changing in the Billiken world (at least while RM is still here) let go of the old mindset, embrace change.

I agree with you.

I'd like to see DE play inside more just because other than him, we don't have a proven inside player. Cody and Rob are improved inside but they're still best from the outside. I don't like DE's jump shot. I don't mind him playing on the perimeter because he can beat his guy to the basket, but I'd like to see him post up more than usual. He doesn't have to replace Conklin by himself, but we will need him to help.

Just a guess, but if DE was stronger last year he probably would not have missed those drives to the hoop he missed a lot last year. My guess is this is why he's gone on a "get stronger" regimen over the summer. I'd like to see him stay at the 3, but won't be surprised if he's our 4 at the start of the season. Something like this: KM, MM, CE, DE, RL.

I'd argue he is still a 3 in that lineup. Even if he does postup more. It is not like you are going to send CE and RL to guard the an opposing wing.