2013 NCAA Tournament sites

Nothing says summer optimism like perusing the venues for next season's dance:

First Four (March 19 and 20)

Second and third rounds (March 21/23) and (22/24) Regional sites (March 28/30) and (29/31) Final Four - Atlanta (April 6 and 8)Distance-wise, Kansas City would be an awesome first/second round trip, with Kentucky or a return to Ohio also pretty doable.

For the Regionals, I'd probably hope for a return to Indianapolis, though the idea of playing S16/E8 games in Jerry's World makes me a little woozy as well.

The Kool-Aid is flowin'

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-not that we will be playing in dayton on tues or wed, but the committee could hope for a regional #1 seed to put there against a play in winner for lower travel costs, the play in winner will have won a game in that gym, perhaps advantage enough to make it time for a 16 to get a 1, if some planets/stars/moons/clover align for the 16

Ever hit Mia's right next to bob's?

I lived right down the street on Lemmon Ave. from all those spots, Moy! The best place to go is Eatzi's after 8:30 pm when they mark down all the take-home meals. Pick up lunch for the week on the cheap!

My move to Cincy is more attractive because of the early round sites. Dayton is an hour away, Lexington not even 90 minutes. Auburn Hills isn't bad, probably less than 5 hours. I'd probably do the longer drives to Philadelphia or KC, too. San Jose, Austin, and Salt Lake would be flights and therefore less likely. I'm going to try to make the A10 Tournament in Brooklyn the weekend before.

My move to Cincy is more attractive because of the early round sites. Dayton is an hour away, Lexington not even 90 minutes. Auburn Hills isn't bad, probably less than 5 hours. I'd probably do the longer drives to Philadelphia or KC, too. San Jose, Austin, and Salt Lake would be flights and therefore less likely. I'm going to try to make the A10 Tournament in Brooklyn the weekend before.

Good luck with the move. Despite what many posters think, Cincinnati is a nice city.

Being able to seriously/reasonably look at the NCAA tournament sites with high expectations is a lot of fun.

Good luck with the move. Despite what many posters think, Cincinnati is a nice city.

Being able to seriously/reasonably look at the NCAA tournament sites with high expectations is a lot of fun.

Thanks, and it sure is nice to look this far in advance without feeling like it's a total daydream.

By the way, on my ride to work the other day, I saw a parked car with a SLU license plate personalized to say "GOREDS". I think we live on the same street.

It's important to point out that this is good for basketball purposes ONLY.

Why is the Missouri Valley hosting a tournament site in Kansas city? I guess I cant think of a D1 team in KC but wouldnt MVC only hold events in St. Louis?

This means all Big 12 schools are eligible to play at Sprint Center...

Foreshadowing a possible HQ move??? From WJBC (Bloomington/Normal):

http://wjbc.com/missouri-valley-to-host-ncaa-mens-tournament-in-2013/

The 2013 event will mark the first time the St. Louis-based Missouri Valley Conference will host an NCAA basketball championship event in a city other than St. Louis, although Creighton and The Valley co-hosted a men’s basketball first/second round in Omaha in 2008.

“The award of the 2013 event is testimony to the faith and trust the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee has in the Missouri Valley Conference and in Kansas City,” said Doug Elgin, commissioner of the Missouri Valley Conference.

“The Valley and its partners have always been committed to conducting first-class, fiscally responsible events. We are thrilled to have another chance to host an NCAA Tournament event and establish new relationships with our hosting partners in Kansas City,” Elgin said.

The Valley has helped bring 10 NCAA events to St. Louis since 1993, hosting men’s regionals in 1993, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2007 and 2010; a men’s first/second round in 2002, the Women’s Final Four in 2001 and in 2009, and the Men’s Final Four in 2005.

It's important to point out that this is good for basketball purposes ONLY.

Box-please don't forget about Dayton's fine suburb of Xenia, OH. Home to Athletes in Action and Ohio's oldest and the World's best marathon. The site where the DirtyRican took 1st place (pre-race dinner at Applebees) in the Clydesdales.....not to be confused with Chip and Dales. Other than that the Dayton area sucks.

Butler/Horizon League is hosting in Indy? Shouldn't that be Butler/Atlantic 10? IUPUI is in the Summit League. Maybe just not updated.

we have co-hosted ncaa events in the past with the mvc so butler could be co-hosting with the horizon even though they are now in the A-10.

The 2013 event will mark the first time the St. Louis-based Missouri Valley Conference will host an NCAA basketball championship event in a city other than St. Louis, although Creighton and The Valley co-hosted a men’s basketball first/second round in Omaha in 2008.

So it will be the first time the MVC has hosted an event outside of St. Louis, except for that one other time it hosted an event outside of St. Louis?

Why is the Missouri Valley hosting a tournament site in Kansas city? I guess I cant think of a D1 team in KC but wouldnt MVC only hold events in St. Louis?

UMKC, the Summit League will refer to them as Kansas City this season.

Butler/Horizon League is hosting in Indy? Shouldn't that be Butler/Atlantic 10? IUPUI is in the Summit League. Maybe just not updated.

Horizon League headquarters are next door to Lucas Oil Stadium.

UMKC, the Summit League will refer to them as Kansas City this season.

Interesting. I've heard they were considering dropping the "Missouri" from University of Missouri-Kansas City but not that it had been made official. Has it, or is it just for sports/branding purposes for now?

The story also mentioned that UMSL was trying to do the same thing but running into major resistance from SLU, as it should. "University of St. Louis" would create way too much confusion. They've also considered some alternate names, but it's just in the talking stages at this point. If I remember, UMSL was strongly opposed to Mizzou dropping the "Columbia" from its official name a few years back.

Interesting. I've heard they were considering dropping the "Missouri" from University of Missouri-Kansas City but not that it had been made official. Has it, or is it just for sports/branding purposes for now?

The story also mentioned that UMSL was trying to do the same thing but running into major resistance from SLU, as it should. "University of St. Louis" would create way too much confusion. They've also considered some alternate names, but it's just in the talking stages at this point. If I remember, UMSL was strongly opposed to Mizzou dropping the "Columbia" from its official name a few years back.

-while i agree there would be confusion, much more so than uw and wash u since they are 1500 miles apart, could SLU do anything about it?

At least in the case of UMKC, I believe the school's original name was the University of Kansas City.

Good luck with that name change, UMSL. SLU was already 145 years old when UMSL was founded.

An aside: I've always wondered if our alma mater would have benefitted in any way from being named after a person (a la Xavier, Creighton, Marquette, etc.) instead of our city.

It's not official in anyway. The Summit League decided that they would call them Kansas City. Valpo and UMKC were in the same conference, then called the Mid-Con, a few years back. I still follow a lot of what is going on in the Summit League.

The Summit League also said that they would call IPFW=Fort Wayne and Nebraska-Omaha=Omaha. IUPUI will stay the same because there is a University of Indianapolis, a division II school, on the south side of Indy. They normally go by UIndy. I suggested to one of my friends who is an IUPUI prof that they call it IP-Indy.