Recruiting 2012-13

This year, for the first time in several years, we must replace several players in the top eight. Yes, we lost Conklin and Cassidy, but by the end of the year Cassidy was way down in the rotation.

So now we lose three guys probably in the top eight. So why no commits yet? We need to get fall commits. Everytime we wait until spring we lose out to the majors. So who will our first fall commit be?

July is only a few days old. Very few commitments have been made. Many including SLU are still evaluating players and deciding who to offer. I'd be surprised if July passes without at least 1 commitment.

This year, for the first time in several years, we must replace several players in the top eight. Yes, we lost Conklin and Cassidy, but by the end of the year Cassidy was way down in the rotation.

So now we lose three guys probably in the top eight. So why no commits yet? We need to get fall commits. Everytime we wait until spring we lose out to the majors. So who will our first fall commit be?

It could be argued that when all is said and done, the soon to be junior class of McCall, Evans, Loe and Jett could go down as one of the best ever at SLU. McCall and Evans were September oral committments I believe and Loe and Jett were signed in the spring.

Would it be nice to have a commit, sure, but there is no need to panic at this point.

What do we have open? Ellis, Mitchell and Remekun? I'm with kshoe --- no longer are we a program that has to wait it out. Majerus doesn't seem to solely operate that way. I would expect at least one if not two to sign in Novmember but this thread is as relevant as who's going to start this season.

Of the above, Ogbodo is intriguing if for only the fact we don't ever get 6'10" guys. Pate begs to the question a Canadien? If for the only reason it's not a relative hot bed of a college pipeline -- at least not to me. But again, In Rick I trust.

What do we have open? Ellis, Mitchell and Remekun? I'm with kshoe --- no longer are we a program that has to wait it out. Majerus doesn't seem to solely operate that way. I would expect at least one if not two to sign in Novmember but this thread is as relevant as who's going to start this season.

Of the above, Ogbodo is intriguing if for only the fact we don't ever get 6'10" guys. Pate begs to the question a Canadien? If for the only reason it's not a relative hot bed of a college pipeline -- at least not to me. But again, In Rick I trust.

I thought Loe and Manning where 6'11"

Loe's 6'11" and plays more like 6'5". Manning is 6'11" and doesn't play. Yet.

On the roster are McCall, Jett, Barnett, Carter, Drew, McBroom, Glaze and Evans. Average height is about 6'3". Ogbodo look s like a nice defender and rebounder for the interior, an area that is indetermined at best onour roster, weak at worst.

Grandy is from there. Canada is starting to produce a lot of good college basketball players - http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8143593/canadian-prospects-finding-home-ncaa-men-basketball-greater-numbers

Taj, Canada has really come along in basketball. Andrew Nicholson and Grandy Glaze are both Canadians and while it may not be a hotbed like some areas, there is talent there. Gonzaga had four Canadians on their team a couple years ago. Like you said, in Rick I trust.

A couple of guys to keep an eye on are: Anthony Pate and Chuk Ogbodo. Ogbodo is being recruited by new assistant coach Tanner Bronson. The video for Pate says 2014, but he is being recruited for 2013, his father confirmed that info.

Here are some highlight tapes on Pate and Ogbodo:

My wish list includes a big scoring guard, a shotblocker and a big who can shoot from the outside to help replace Ellis and a year later Loe. It looks these two would take care of the big scoring guard and shot blocker. Some people fret about Ellis and Loe not being traditional bigs, but they are so important to the offense that we run. Look at the highlights from last year's games... Mitchell got countless layups in the half court offense because Loe and Ellis allow us to spread the floor... they are always threats with the pick and pop. We're going to need to develop another guy like that. They are hard to find.

Loe's 6'11" and plays more like 6'5". Manning is 6'11" and doesn't play. Yet.

On the roster are McCall, Jett, Barnett, Carter, Drew, McBroom, Glaze and Evans. Average height is about 6'3". Ogbodo look s like a nice defender and rebounder for the interior, an area that is indetermined at best onour roster, weak at worst.

So the kid we are recruiting can't actually be 6'10" yet as he hasn't played a game for us.

This revelation must make recruiting much harder as you can't actually tell how tall a kid is until after he's played substantial minutes for your team.

So the kid we are recruiting can't actually be 6'10" yet as he hasn't played a game for us.

This revelation must make recruiting much harder as you can't actually tell how tall a kid is until after he's played substantial minutes for your team.

Also, if Loe can't be counted as 6'11" because he plays like he is 6'5", does that mean we can count Evans as 6'11" as he plays taller than 6'5"?

Also, if Loe can't be counted as 6'11" because he plays like he is 6'5", does that mean we can count Evans as 6'11" as he plays taller than 6'5"?

Can guys vary in height by game based on how they play?

Did Horace Dixon errrrr actually exist?

If Brett Thompson falls in the woods an nobody sees it, is he still 6-8?

I think we should only report wingspans, like Jay Bilas during a draft night.

If you ignore our 2 players who are 6'8" and 2 others who are 6'11" we have a very small team.

Yep, we are pretty deep with bigs. Majerus has done wonders for the program. He gets us the 2-3* bigs and makes them contributors, productive.

A little foul trouble is no problem anymore. Remember when "V" got his 3rd foul? Game over.

I do wish we had an intimidating banger like Conklin or a shot blocking ath-u-lete like WR in the mix. That would ensure another great year.

Maybe Loe can be convinced he is our middle linebacker; Manning might be able to block some shots; GG might be physical, these are all unknowns.

Why thank you waldo. My point exactly. I have no idea how skip comprehended my statement to mean you can't measure a kid until he plays for you. My points are again that I think we need a "traditional" inside player. I don't care if he's American. Canadien. Nigerian. Sudanese. Whatever. A couple-four guys coming out of Canada recently does not change my perception that stellar recruits are lentiful and available. Steve Nash is stil the best Canadien basketball player ever, right? Again, my perception of Canada and its basketball pipeline. Remember my percepion of St. Louis high school basketball as I argued it out with Vtime?

Grandy is just like Manning --- he hasn't played yet. Not a knock; just a fact. Maybe Manning is the yet-uncovered gem we've all heard about. When does judgement day come on that? This year? Next year? Somebody tells me he's the best talent on our bench, I say show me. Same question -- only replace Manning with Glaze, put in Barkley-esque or Griffin-esque attributes and please answer there too. I am really hoping it is this year. That would be fuoking amazing!

Try as hard as you might to perceive otherwise, Loe has a #3 game in a #5 body. That's why I said he plays like he's 6'5" --- minus the ability to slash ala Mo Jeffers or Tommie III. The main offensive difference between Loe and Brad Redford of Xavier is their height. Both are pop-out shooters as far as I can tell Redford has more range; Loe is better suited on the defensive end. Again, that's a fact but nothing so criminal it can't be adjusted with other components and balance out the whole. You know what Ellis can do. Loe. Evans. Mitchell. McCall. Jett. Even if we pump there up with another year of "experience," the glaring need is obvious. And maybe you don't need to fill the glaring need --- maybe everyone makes every shot they take. That would mean we'd never have to counter an off night, or cold shooting, or even mix it up like we did in the X road game last year where Conklin went nuts in the second half.

Loe and Ellis are not traditional bigs but who cares --- as long as the other components work into the whole picture. I believe that without an inside threat of some sort, Loe and Ellis will not find as much room to get their shots off. Both remind a lot of Drew Diener and his speed of release. Both are catch-n-shoot types ....... a pump fake with one dribble will augment their games coniderably, I think. Of course, without a Conklin-esque inside threat, maybe the defense has to stay closer to their men, opening up the driving lanes for Mitchell, McCall and Jett. Again, it's components.

As for Evans playing big, I don't think he's there yet. Like I said elsewhere, he missed too many bunnies which to me shows he was cognizent of the fact that bigger men are around and he was rushing his shots.

Of course, Spoon had Claggett, Hmark, H, Dobbs, Turner, campbell and Robinson all at 6'6" or smaller and it worked. It can be done but I'm just musing on what I want and my opinions.

Taj - I think you need to stop being hung up on slotting guys into positions based on height.

Also re: Loe. He gives us a tremendous offensive mismatch which is great. He provides an extra shooter while not giving up an inside defensive presence on the other end. That's his true strength.

Steve Nash is Canadian. And I believe one of the top 5 recruits in last year's class was a Maple Leafer. Think he went to Texas, but maybe wrong.

Loe and Ellis will not find as much room to get their shots off. Both remind a lot of Drew Diener and his speed of release. Both are catch-n-shoot types ....... a pump fake with one dribble will augment their games coniderably, I think. Of course, without a Conklin-esque inside threat, maybe the defense has to stay closer to their men, opening up the driving lanes for Mitchell,

Does anyone else agree w/ Taj's comparison? Drew Diener was slooooow, CE and RL are not slow at releasing the ball, plus they have a huge advantage over DD in height and not many 3's or even 4's can stop them. While neither may have NBA caliber releases, they are a whole lot quicker than DD ever was. Plus I thought we wanted our 3 shooters to be catch and shoot types.