Arena Update

...that I do think they need to get a spokesman for this project and regularly distribute information. I am sure they are disappointed by slow donations, but as many have echoed, when Biondi commits to something, it gets done.

When they start on construction I hope they install a 24 web cam like they did for the rehaul of Busch Center. I think that will calm our anxieties.

I'll amplify what Butch noted.

In Xavier's case, there was a quiet period for fund raising, during which time all the high-end money was being pinned down, including the $20 million that came from the Chairman and the CEO of the Cintas Corporation personally (to gain naming rights for the Cintas Corporation).

All that was part of a larger capital campaign that Xavier had well in the bag during the quiet period: they launched the capital campaign knowing that it would be a success. That was a smaller campaign at $100 million, but that's the way they ran it. Note that Hoff (Xavier's president at the time) had brought it ND's former fund raiser to design Xavier's fund raising strategy and process.

There were three key aspects to the Cintas project, looking back on the information that was made available. Firstly, the fund raising campaign was well managed. Secondly, the design firm and the construction firm had substantial expertise in these types of facilities. Finally, there were no material design or construction surprises to contend with once the final design was settled upon; the due diligence process was very thorough and did not expose the project to eyebrow-raising surprises.

I would hope that you guys are simply in your quiet phase. Perhaps it hasn't been managed as effectively as it should, but I hope, for your benefit, that they're still working on the large donations. What alarms me from what I read here from time to time are the number of issues that seem to come up with site limitations or other physical challenges to the project. Who is running this show? Your design is gorgeous. Who screwed up in terms of not making sure it could be plopped onto the most optimal site available for SLU?

Good luck and looking forward to rekindling a fond rivalry with a fellow Jesuit school.

Well said. I am not in the least worried about the situation at this point. Would I like to know more? absolutely! But, this quiet period if very normal for any large fundraising project. Don't worry, we all will get the opportunity to contribute.

Box and Won is right.

Actually, the Cintas Center isn't an "arena." It is a convocation center.

Primary components include:

[1] The 10,250 seat arena

[2] Student dining facilities

[3] Banquet and conference facilities

In Father Hoff's master plan for the school, the Cintas Center became referred to as the campus living room. In essence, it was set up as a revenue generating engine for the school, as it hosts many events unrelated to Xavier athletics.

Your other specific questions, regarding practice facilities and coaches offices, carry "yes" answers as well. There is an integrated practice facility, state-of-the-art training rooms and locker rooms and athletic department offices all within the confines of the building. Thad Matta's office actually has a balcony that looks out over the arena.

I truly mean this in the most humble way possible, but the CC has proven to be a grand slam for the school. Other schools, including Virginia and Southern Cal as examples, have visited Xavier to study the Cintas Center to gain ideas for their new on campus facilities.

You have a lot to look forward to once you open the doors to your new place.

You are wrong on your statement that a science building does not bring in money. I am not sure of the exact reimbursement rate - but for NIH grants, the University gets approximately 40 - 48% of the indirect cost of a grant. For example, if a researcher gets a grant worth 100,000 a year for 5 year, that researcher gets his money and the University gets 45,000 a year in indirect costs. WashU for example is the #2 research school in $$, about 135,000,000. So 45% of that # goes to WashU - a very good revenue generator.