SLU Commit: Austin McBroom

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Rivals, there were a toal of 25 five-star players in the 2012 class. 15 of them were forwards or centers. 5 of them were 6'9" or taller. Those players were:

Nerlens Noel - Kentucky

Isaiah Austin - Baylor

Steven Adams - Pitt

Kaleb Tarczewski - Arizona

Grant Jarrett - Arizona

Now, to be fair, there were an additional 80 players that were considered 4-star players. Of those 80, 48 were forwards or centers. Of those 48, 18 are 6'9" or taller. And of those 18, all but 1 signed with BCS conference teams (Robert Upshaw with Fresno St. Another player, Chicken Knowles, a 6'9", 190 lb. forward signed with Houston, who will be joining the Big East in 2013.) So, basically, there were 23 4- or 5-star players that were 6'9" or taller for the 2012 season.

Currently, Rivals has 15 5-star recruits for the 2013 season. Seven of them are forwards and only one of them is 6'9" or taller (#6 overall Chris Walker.) There are another 85 overall players that are 4-star right now, and since that is for the next graduating season, the list is bound to change. But, most likely, we are looking at the same situation as 2012, which is roughly 20-25 players that fit the parameter of what everyone is begging for, which is a 4- to 5-star low post player that brings real size.

Even with an NCAA tourney appearance, a very good conference and Majerus's rep, we just aren't going to get these players right now. The best we can hope for are either 'diamonds in the rough' or 'under the radar' guys (a la Willie Reed), 3-star guys (like Manning and Glaze) or international bigs (Cody and Rob.) Then, we just have to trust that Majerus can mold them appropriately.

Boom, boom, boom. Great post. Tons of info. Love it. Rick's the man.

Let's also not forget that our stud inside man this year was an intermediate contributor for three years who came into his own as a senior. This is the lot of a non BCS basketball team. Brian Conklin was not a 5 star recruit, but under Rickma once he got healthy as a senior he was a stud. The people who are writing off Manning and Glaze because they couldn't crack the lineup this year are idiots. The only reason Conk played so much all four years is that when he came in, there was nobody else to play inside. It is hard to believe that we have a real system for success in place but some blockheads just can't seem to get it.

this is a ridiculous discussion--as often seems to happen on this board.

Look at our team this year with all of the guards we had--any NCAA team worth its salt has at least 4 good guards and usually want to have excellent players "in waiting" for when the first teamers graduate. this young man seems to be not a good but a great shooter with a ton of potential for the furture. He will sit out next season and practice against KM, JJ and MM--that will only make him better. When he becomes eligible he will be a soph but will be stronger and more mature. He will have a natural running mate in Carter and we can expect him to get minutes behind JJ and MM, depending upon the matchups. Having a pure shooter come off the bench is a wonderful luxury. We can expect him to be a starter in his junior year when we will need him most and he will have two years as an experienced guard on a good team.

Our bigs are well set up for next year with Cody and Cory as seniors, Loe and Evans as juniors, Manning and Glaze as sophs and our Indiana swingman Drew as a frosh.

The following year we will still have Loe, Evans, Manning, Glaze and Drew and several open scholarships to use on other big men as we see fit.

In fact, we are set up very well with a lot of talent and it will be spread among various classes. I actually think this is a fantastic addition to our team and all of the BS is just that.

Billikan, if RM recruited the next coming of the bigs he had at Utah, Broy would find fault with them. No offense, Broy, but if Uncle Brad had got this transfer you'd be excited as all get out. I like the way we're constructed next year, 13-14, and even beyond. And besides who are we to question RM's offers? The guy knows how to build a winner.

Roy was excited when we signed dustin mcguire and Anthony Mitchell and was ok when we held schollies two year in a row but he finds fault with this? What a sad guy

you want to show me the dustin mcguire post where i was excited/ you want to show me where i defended holding scholarships? i think you have been reading too many ace posts. i may not have attacked the moves, but i dont recall being "excited" or "ok".

Billikan, if RM recruited the next coming of the bigs he had at Utah, Broy would find fault with them. No offense, Broy, but if Uncle Brad had got this transfer you'd be excited as all get out. I like the way we're constructed next year, 13-14, and even beyond. And besides who are we to question RM's offers? The guy knows how to build a winner.

slu72, like ace, you need to get over soderberg. he is long gone and should be. i moved on. pretty obvious you still havent.

By the time he can play Jett and McCall will be seniors. Im not ecstatic about it but I can see the reasoning behind it.

Hello, we just lost another guard to transfer, the Greek, and replaced him with a better player. Where's all this consternation coming from?

slu72, like ace, you need to get over soderberg. he is long gone and should be. i moved on. pretty obvious you still havent.

Broy, Brad's gone. RM is the coach. Why can't you accept that and just enjoy the ride? Look, we all know you can't stomach him, but that's not the point. Wins are the point. It's been 5 years since he cut UB's last recruits. They've moved on, why can't you?

What's bothersome is every move he makes you jam him for it. And what did he do to deserve your derision? Piss off Fr. B, the local media, be arrogant? Big deal. The guy's a great HC and, surprise of surprises, he happened to land at little ol' SLU.

Broy, Brad's gone. RM is the coach. Why can't you accept that and just enjoy the ride? Look, we all know you can't stomach him, but that's not the point. Wins are the point. It's been 5 years since he cut UB's last recruits. They've moved on, why can't you?

What's bothersome is every move he makes you jam him for it. And what did he do to deserve your derision? Piss off Fr. B, the local media, be arrogant? Big deal. The guy's a great HC and, surprise of surprises, he happened to land at little ol' SLU.

when is the last time i wrote pining about soderberg? the answer is about 6 years ago. it is you and your rickma worshipper buddies that havent gotten over soderberg. i may not like rickma, but i dont want to go back to the brad days and see no connection between not wanting soderberg or rickma. it is you and the others that seem to think if rickma is gone we must be going to get the resurrection of soderberg. i have never said anything of the sort.

and slu72, you know exactly most of my points vs rickma. i have always said he is a good basketball coach. it is the rest i dont agree with. i think a coach can and should be all things to a university. not just about winning basketball games. they need to win, but imo there is more to the job than that as well.

You can never have enough good guards - I agree. However, we need to be focusing on big men as well and not the undersized hybrid players we want to play as a big. Nobody is asking for the 5 star big men. Guys like Manning who RM says has NBA potential will be fine with me. With Rick's ability to coach up players, we don't have to even worry about going after the stud recruits everybody else is after. We just need serviceable big men that RM can develop. I'd like them to develop a year sooner than Conk did, but Conk was also battling injuries so that might not be fair.

Put me in the camp that also thought Rick would bring in consistent big men that he can help develop into NBA players. However, those were different times. It seems more competitive than ever and there is more parity today than anytime I can remember. So, in Rick I will trust. Rick knows what he is doing, so I have to believe every recruit we sign is for a good reason.

I am way more concerned with RM sticking around and also with the lack of financial support from Fr. B than any recruit we ever sign that may seem like a speculative commit. Rick has proven himself and for that he deserves my trust. Fr. B has not proven his ongoing support and that makes me nervous.

Hello, we just lost another guard to transfer, the Greek, and replaced him with a better player. Where's all this consternation coming from?

That is a pretty good point.

Posted ImageMB73, on 04 May 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

For once, we completely agree. I was going to write that exact same thing. Wow.

I am pleased with RM, have been a big supporter, but expected by now that he would have recruited some legit 4* bigs, maybe a 5*, 4's and 5's.

This kid from Central Michigan might be a good pick up but we are getting thin up front, no real post up players, no intimidating force on "D", no inside muscle, unless somehow RL and CE take it up two notches down low, or Glaze or Manning surprise.

I'm still pissed RM didn't get Anthony Davis.

Lame. Infantile. Annoying. Immature.

You can never have enough good guards - I agree. However, we need to be focusing on big men as well and not the undersized hybrid players we want to play as a big. Nobody is asking for the 5 star big men. Guys like Manning who RM says has NBA potential will be fine with me. With Rick's ability to coach up players, we don't have to even worry about going after the stud recruits everybody else is after. We just need serviceable big men that RM can develop. I'd like them to develop a year sooner than Conk did, but Conk was also battling injuries so that might not be fair.

Put me in the camp that also thought Rick would bring in consistent big men that he can help develop into NBA players. However, those were different times. It seems more competitive than ever and there is more parity today than anytime I can remember. So, in Rick I will trust. Rick knows what he is doing, so I have to believe every recruit we sign is for a good reason.

I am way more concerned with RM sticking around and also with the lack of financial support from Fr. B than any recruit we ever sign that may seem like a speculative commit. Rick has proven himself and for that he deserves my trust. Fr. B has not proven his ongoing support and that makes me nervous.

Great post. Spot on.

couldn't agree more. RM knows what he is doing. We are deep so getting a guy we know has experience and can play and shoot to sit for a year to learn our system is more than ok with me. we have solid foundation and now we can attract some bigs because we have shooters, slashers, and unselfish distributors to welcome a solid big. We will be more than ok.

And, we can start recruiting Dakota Simms as our next guard. This kid is legit...with a Conklin attitude already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0j2OAkc77k

Majerus won't like him...all offense, no defense...

Why is he transferring?

Coaching change.

Ziegler was fired as coach of CMU. His son, Trey a top 50 recruit, has left the program. Trey and McBroom were tight, McBroom leaves.

The problem is when we recruit bigs who don't immediately knock Billiken.com's socks off as freshmen they get discounted. We're worried about bigs because there isn't enough faith in JM and GG who were just recruited last year. In 2 years there is a chance those to could be the best 5-4 combo in the A-10

The problem is when we recruit bigs who don't immediately knock Billiken.com's socks off as freshmen they get discounted. We're worried about bigs because there isn't enough faith in JM and GG who were just recruited last year. In 2 years there is a chance those to could be the best 5-4 combo in the A-10

+1

Between CR, JM, and GG we'll be fine in the post. CR has shown flashes. Majerus has hyped up JM. We know RM exaggerates a lot, but I'm going to believe him about JM until I actually see differently. GG was recruited by some BCS schools and decommitted from UNLV to come here so others have seen the potential in him. Then you add in RL and CE with strong perimeter games and improved post games, we're looking good. DE and possibly JD could even see some time at the 4.

Out strength will always be our backcourt. We have guards who can play with almost anyone and we have some big men who create matchup problems for the defense. Also, I expect to see KM be a lot more comfortable playing again next year, and I see him taking over a lot of games as a senior. After everything he's been through, he's not gonna settle for anything less than what we acheived this past year.

If we keep recruiting at the level we are now, both with guards and forwards, we'll be alright.

Between Loe, Manning, Glaze we have some talented developing bigs.

If we keep recruiting at the level we are now, both with guards and forwards, we'll be alright.

Between Loe, Manning, Glaze we have some talented developing bigs.

I agree but one of them is going to have to play post up effectively to make up for the loss of Conklin. And be truly intimidating and physical.

The threat of Brian down low was as important or more important than his 14ppg. And he was a very physical player, a banger. His performance made the big difference, however you want to frame it, a surprise or that he was finally healthy. Sure, others played well, do not get me wrong. But inside is where we needed a lift.

So one of them is going to have to step up a few notches, and Manning and Glaze are unknowns.

I have confidence in RM, he is the best thing to happen to SLU since Spoon, but we need something to happen here.

Again, I had hoped by now RM with the momentum we have, would get us a 4* or Top 100 ESPN type developed big to come in and give us more immediate help.

We shall see.

I agree but one of them is going to have to play post up effectively to make up for the loss of Conklin. And be truly intimidating and physical.

The threat of Brian down low was as important or more important than his 14ppg. And he was a very physical player, a banger. His performance made the big difference, however you want to frame it, a surprise or that he was finally healthy. Sure, others played well, do not get me wrong. But inside is where we needed a lift.

So one of them is going to have to step up a few notches, and Manning and Glaze are unknowns.

I have confidence in RM, he is the best thing to happen to SLU since Spoon, but we need something to happen here.

Again, I had hoped by now RM with the momentum we have, would get us a 4* or Top 100 ESPN type developed big to come in and give us more immediate help.

We shall see.

We didn't get any sort of momentum until about 2 months ago. And you don't just start landing 4* bigs because of 1 tourney appearance. Patience, my friend

you want to show me the dustin mcguire post where i was excited/ you want to show me where i defended holding scholarships? i think you have been reading too many ace posts. i may not have attacked the moves, but i dont recall being "excited" or "ok".

Roy, you beat me to it - I was just going to post that I never heard you say you were excited about DM or AM - in fact if I had to guess, I would have to say you probably questioned both. As far as saving schollies - do not remember your position on that.