Assistant Coach Situation

3Bill

I'm upset that Harriman is leaving. He was a classy guy, great personality, and seemed to be moving in the right direction within the program. I understand the rest of the coaching staff is also disappointed that he left.

What's more disappointing than anything is the fact this boiled down to money. Like Al Jensen, Harriman was happy and enjoyed being part of this staff. From a good source, I understand SLU is one of the few programs that does not award its assistants any bonus money for a tournament run. That's not surprising given some of the other corners we all know are being cut, but this is one thing that could be a yearly problem when we make multiple tourney runs. The assistants put in a lot of time and energy. The tournament appearances net the school a fair amount of money, so it only makes sense to share that money with the people who made it happen.

As with any business, good people move when they are not properly rewarded, even when they are comfortable and happy. That's just how things work. Give them their worth or they will go get it elsewhere, regardless of how happy they are with the team and the rest of the staff.

And for those worried about Crews leaving, it is not happening. He is committed to coming back next year. The guy is a former head coach, is pushing 60 years old if he's not there already, and is still coming back despite what had been only a one year commitment. That tells me he sees big things happening for this team and wants to be part of it. Good sign.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news on Crews, understand he is working with the bigs. I noticed Rob and Cody occasionally posting up in the paint late late season. Perhaps Crews can persuade them into becoming at least part-time post players. That would be huge.

Regarding the assistant coach search...I wonder if SLU has ever considered that young up and comer from the school across Compton ave. I saw in another thread that he resurrected the program from nothing to NAIA national prominence.

VTIME BABY!!!

We probably do not pay enough...but anyway, GO HORNETS!

I don't post here unless it is something I deem to be an important item. This is one of those items. I don't know who 3Bill is, but I do know he has his facts correct. The assistants got no reward for the successful year the team had. A bonus is pretty standard around the country for the assistants after a team makes the NCAA. The head coaches usually have it written into their contracts. As far as Harry and his salary is concerned--those who thought he would be doubling his salary are off by a bit. He will be nearly tripling his SLU salary at Nebraska. Some changes desparately need to be made so Rick can bring in good people as assistants and keep them here. They come because of him. They leave because of the constant battle with the Administration across Grand Ave. to give the program what it needs to succeed. (Let's not start talking about charter flights again). This is just another example.

I don't believe that this is a lack of knowledge or willingness on the part of the AD.

BTW, 3Bill is also correct about Crews, who was a tremendous influence on Rick and did a great job with the players. He will be back. Also,for those that keep score about such things, Coach Whitesell, who doesn't get credit for much on this board, was the coach responsible for working on Keith Carter and then of course Rick closed the deal.

Hopefully something good can come of this, and if anyone on here has the ear of the right people, try to educate them on the way things are done in the top 50 programs in the country. After all, that was Father B's stated desire all the way back to the Rich Grawer era.

One last thing, in response to my long time friend Willie (who remembers the quote about a top 50 program)--they do have summer camps and the assistants get to keep the entire profits. They are held at SLU and different high schools around town, such as Whitfield, et. al.

In response to 3Bill and BB - I can confirm all the above. Until Fr. B starts to infuse more money into the program, SLU's success will be rate limited into progressing into a top 25 program year in and year out. With more resources and support, RM and staff would be less restricted and wouldn't have their hands tied all the time.

Thankfully, RM's maneuver with SMU was good for the program but bad for our hearts. Sad it takes these type of games to get anything done.

Fr. B certainly soured Spoon on staying at SLU, and it sure sounds like he's doing it again w/ RM. There's only so much the big donors can do these days. The school has to kick in as well. Unfortunately, for a very smart guy, it seems on the surface Fr. B just doesn't seem to grasp how a really good hoops program can help the school in other areas. Or, and this is more likely the case, he knows it, but just doesn't want to shell out the bucks to make it happen. Wow, Harriman tripled his salary? Looks like the Harriman's will be eating shrimp on the barbie just about every night.

Anyone smell conspiracy? Biondi is sick of Majerus speaking his mind and getting more publicity and attention than him. He won't give him a thing and will do whatever it takes to get RM to leave.

Why else is there no contract extension? He wants Majerus gone and he will be after his contract runs out next year and Biondi refuses to extend it.

This is Billiken basketball. The administration always figures out a way to screw things up and I have confidence they will do it again.

Fr. B certainly soured Spoon on staying at SLU, and it sure sounds like he's doing it again w/ RM. There's only so much the big donors can do these days. The school has to kick in as well. Unfortunately, for a very smart guy, it seems on the surface Fr. B just doesn't seem to grasp how a really good hoops program can help the school in other areas. Or, and this is more likely the case, he knows it, but just doesn't want to shell out the bucks to make it happen. Wow, Harriman tripled his salary? Looks like the Harriman's will be eating shrimp on the barbie just about every night.

-i agree there is only so much big donors can do, but we need all donors and new donors to buck up in addition to increased ticket sales and ncaa tourney units being distributed our way

-i think this is one area where the lack of school spirit by a big chunk of the student body for so many years or plain disinterest in SLU athletics (see historical student attendance at bball games) hurts in getting donations

Really this does not shock me one bit. Situation had to be much better financially to convince Harriman to leave for Nebraska. Father Biondi - Have you not ever heard of the Flutie effect? You are completely slowing the momentum that our coaches are responsible for creating with our tournament run.

Complain all you want about Majerus but he's the only reason we are pre-season top 25 and just got finished with a great year. Up his contract and give him what he wants or forget about the flutie effect and we'll be right back to where we were before he got here. And if we are back to mediocrity you can forget about filling the high priced arena seats. we'll be lucky to have 4k fans a night.

what's new? father biondi is still not committed to winning. despite public statements to contrary, it is clear he has no clue how to build a winning program. our coach does but, unfortunately, the good father doesn't listen to anyone.

i don't know about the rest of you, but if biondi fails to renew majerus's contract or forces him out with all his nickling and diming, i for one will not be renewing my tickets and will not renew my billikenclub membership. although my contributions are small compared to those by others, the thousands of dollars i spend each year on billiken basketball (including billikenclub membership, season tickets, and multiple roadtrips) will be used on something more worthwhile. i may even become a mizzou fan. at least its a legit d-1 program. i will not be used by this administration to fund a team that could care less about winning.

Getting Majerus was freak random luck. If it wasn't for him, we would be nowhere. When he leaves, we will probably go back to mediocrity.

Biondi is a negative influence on Billiken athletics across the board, he considers collegian sports a necessary evil. If we had even an adequate man in Biondi's position, we would be much, much further along. I do not give him much credit at all for getting RM and building Chaifetz like some do.

A lot of us know several, even numerous anecdotal stories/incidents of Biondi's distain for athletics, his pettiness, his tyrant-like approach to those who are involved.

Savor these years with Majerus, I hope he is able to stay for awhile, we have a good thing going under the circumstances.

Well, as I understand it, he was the driving force behind the Fetz. And started it w/o the funding entirely in place. So let's give him credit where credit is due. But after the big splash of a new arena and a major coaching coup, he does appear to be hiding the key to the treasure chest. SLU has, at last glance, about the 4th highest endowment of any Catholic school in the country, it doesn't seem like a stretch to up the hoops budget by a mil or so. Maybe he's just not believing we'll see any of that NCAA cash, since it's been so friggin' long since we be in it. I don't worry about him forcing RM out, because RM will likely leave after this year if the penny pinching doesn't cease. Not something we should be writing on here as he's out recruiting, but damn it's frustrating. Especially after this year.

I once wanted to make a donation to the AD and asked that it be spent on a specific basketball purpose - not a big deal. What I was told that I had to make it to the Billiken Club, or directly to the Arena fund or to SLU in general. I could not donate directly to the BB program at that time. Has this stupidity changed? I ended up making a smaller donation to the arena fund but that was not what I wanted to do.

-so Dr Chaifetz and Tony Novelly are on the SLU Board of Trustees, along with John Cook and others, i wonder what the Board's take on the role of an athletic program is and if that view is in concert with/mandated by/at odds with/or other with FrB? also, i thought Kim Tucci was on the Board but he is not listed on SLU's site

-i understand not throwing good money after bad, but perhaps the U needs to see an increase in funds to the bball program as an investment and how the U could substantially benefit in the years to come if we are all over network tv, newspapers, magazines, interwebs but a lot of this is predicated on Rick at the helm

So just to clarify,

We still haven't locked RM up to an extension?

We are going to lose RM after this season, you watch...

It's been reported that RM's contract allows him to self-extend. The flirtation with SMU would seem to indicate that RM is unhappy with something else other than his contract. Salaries for his assistants and charter air travel are speculated to be the issues. Rick paid part of Crews' salary for last season. One would think these are issues that can be overcome but negotiating with Father B is like ... (just fill in the blank).

It's been reported that RM's contract allows him to self-extend. The flirtation with SMU would seem to indicate that RM is unhappy with something else other than his contract. Salaries for his assistants and charter air travel are speculated to be the issues. Rick paid part of Crews' salary for last season. One would think these are issues that can be overcome but negotiating with Father B is like ... (just fill in the blank).

There was never any chance that Majerus was going to leave. He is happy here.

Concerning Biondi: He cares about the program, but his ways of showing it are often flawed. Every Billiken fan needs to thank god for the good Doctor, becuase he may be what keeps this program competitive when Majerus leaves someday.

There was never any chance that Majerus was going to leave. He is happy here.

Concerning Biondi: He cares about the program, but his ways of showing it are often flawed. Every Billiken fan needs to thank god for the good Doctor, becuase he may be what keeps this program competitive when Majerus leaves someday.

With all due respect, this makes no sense. Are you trying to say that Biondi will "see the light" when RM leaves and it becomes obvious that he was the #1 reason SLU BBall is relevant again? A person in his position should be much more proactive and attempt to strike while the iron is hot to maximize exposure and revenue. Being reactive (if I'm reading your post correctly) is not an effective way to lead.

With all due respect, this makes no sense. Are you trying to say that Biondi will "see the light" when RM leaves and it becomes obvious that he was the #1 reason SLU BBall is relevant again? A person in his position should be much more proactive and attempt to strike while the iron is hot to maximize exposure and revenue. Being reactive (if I'm reading your post correctly) is not an effective way to lead.

I think FDL was talking about both Biondi and Cheifetz in the same paragraph. I think he is stating that Chaifetz will make sure that SLU gets a good replacement for Majerus when he eventually leaves, and make sure we don't go down the Soderberg route again. Basically, he and the other rich donors who helped to pay for Rick's salary will buck up again to pay for another legit coach. At least that is how I am reading his post.

In regards to Biondi, the guy is currently 73 and in his 25th year as president. How close is he towards retirement and emeritus status? I don't know how many university presidents out there that are older than Biondi, but my guess is there aren't many.

I think FDL was talking about both Biondi and Cheifetz in the same paragraph. I think he is stating that Chaifetz will make sure that SLU gets a good replacement for Majerus when he eventually leaves, and make sure we don't go down the Soderberg route again. Basically, he and the other rich donors who helped to pay for Rick's salary will buck up again to pay for another legit coach. At least that is how I am reading his post.

In regards to Biondi, the guy is currently 73 and in his 25th year as president. How close is he towards retirement and emeritus status? I don't know how many university presidents out there that are older than Biondi, but my guess is there aren't many.

Ahh, my bad, kappy. I should have been more clear. Thanks, bizzle.

Yes, I just don't see Chaifetz letting us fall back to being just another program. He cares too much to let that happen.