A Year Ago on this Date

This tweet popped up:

45]Posted Image

Knowing what has transpired since then, with Jensen going to the (D) League, is this still a possibility? What are your thoughts?

the only way this scenario is crediable imo is if the "step down" would happen in the next year. otherwise, alex's closeness to the program and the players of concern are all but gone and it no longer makes sense to me. it isnt like Alex has extensive head coaching, recruiting or even x's and o's experience now. however, the babysitting experience and likely crash course in x's and o's in the D league is definitely worthy experience. i would think that would harden a guy's disposition very quickly.

This tweet popped up:

45]Posted Image

Knowing what has transpired since then, with Jensen going to the (D) League, is this still a possibility?

What are your thoughts?

Considering Alex was actually a coach at the time and had just turned down a job a Utah, it made sense then. Today, it makes little to no sense.

Now, its time for me to look through my tweeting timeline from a year ago and see how the Rams are going to win the West, Blues are a bad hockey team, the Reds will own the NL Central for a second straight year and how SLU has no shot at the NCAA since WR declared for the NBA...

I think this was around the time Jensen was rumored to be going to Utah. It seemed like Jensen's departure to the D-League genuinely stunned RM. I don't get the sense he is the HC in waiting. I'm not even sure RM will get to name his successor.

Considering Alex was actually a coach at the time and had just turned down a job a Utah, it made sense then. Today, it makes little to no sense.

Now, its time for me to look through my tweeting timeline from a year ago and see how the Rams are going to win the West, Blues are a bad hockey team, the Reds will own the NL Central for a second straight year and how SLU has no shot at the NCAA since WR declared for the NBA...

haha! +1

I have no idea, but can't imagine he'd take a cut in pay to go to Canton, OH. By the way how's his team doing? Is WR playing for him, or did he get hurt?

The average NBA coach makes about $4.5mil a year with Doc Rivers making the most at about $7mil.

Here is what the NBDL offered Bruce Pearl:

http://aol.sportingn...ssee-volunteers

He is the exception with this article saying its around the $100,000/y mark. Surprised when reading the article that players only make between $13,000-25,000/y.

://www.silverandbluesports.com/2011/04/02/should-the-ncaa-pay-college-athletes/

I reject the whole idea that RM will name his successor. He may make suggestions but it will be up to May and Biondi to choose a coach. I don't know whose ear the good Doc has but he could be a player in the decision especially if he's writing the check.

If RM said this to AJ, then I'm surprised he left. Unless it was the money thing, ie RM couldn't get him more cash.

It has been said even by RM himself that Jensen did not like the recruiting part of the job - thus how can you ever be a college head coach and not like recruiting.

You think Harriman needs to be an assistant for 8-9 years before getting the HC job?

Or preferably some HC experience. We're going to make the tourney in 13, and possibly 14, so do we want to hand over the HC reigns to someone with no experience? A team that has made the NCAA's 3 straight or 2 of 3 years? We'll see

Head coaching experience might not be as important in our case as continuity. Majerus took years to put together the roster he wanted and teach them his system. If Majerus were to leave in the next few years, we have a strong replacement- Harriman has been there just about from the start, knows the system in and out, is young and energetic, and can recruit. A head coach hired from outside would force our program to start from scratch in terms of what they run, philosophy, recruiting targets, and vision for the program; I'd rather see what we have now carry on with a guy we have a chance to hang on to for a while.

Of all the times I've seen an assistant fill in for an ill head coach, I've never seen a performance as impressive as Harriman's at Duquesne. If the benches were not visible on the screen, you never could have guessed that Majerus was not on the sideline. Not having your head coach is a huge, huge distraction; he kept the guys on task and was perfect with substitutions (something that I always took for granted until seeing Anthony Beane fill in for Brad Soderberg). Plus, the fact that Majerus had the less-seasoned third assistant fill in as head coach because he did the scout on DU says volumes about the faith he has in Harriman's abilities. Other head coaches almost always go with the top assistant, the 'associate head coach' as they're usually called.

Furthermore, he'd be a relative bargain. Not to mention, Harriman is our most media-friendly assistant and doesn't have all of the Majerus eccentricities we've come to know and...tolerate.

-i just hope all of the talk about who replaces Rick is way premature

Yes, me too. And I hope Harriman stays the entire time Rick is still here (and let's be honest, with Rick as coach we need to have a next step in mind).

Or when PM filled in for RM.

True- though, to be fair, that was a 12-19 season and going 0-3 during any stretch wasn't out of the question.

Yes, me too. And I hope Harriman stays the entire time Rick is still here (and let's be honest, with Rick as coach we need to have a next step in mind).

True- though, to be fair, that was a 12-19 season and going 0-3 during any stretch wasn't out of the question.

Porter's overall record was 0-5 filling in for Majerus. He filled in during the 2008-09 season at Rhode Island, which was a loss. In 2010-11, he covered for Majerus at the Ole Miss game (food poisoning), finished out the Bowling Green game after Majerus got the cut, and then took over for the next 3 games. If you count the game he finished against BG, the team was 0-6 in games he was the head coach. Also interesting is that the BG game was the game after Ole Miss. So, basically, Moser was the head coach of the team for 5 straight games and we just so happened to lose all 5.

While it is probably unfair to lay the blame on Porter for that 0-6 record in games he was head coach, as their were other circumstances to consider, it is probably fair for people to say they feel more confident in Harriman as a possible successor in the future. Porter was a good assistant here and accessible to the media, but he has never proven himself to be a capable head coach. It might seem kind of harsh, but I for one am glad he isn't around anymore to be a possible head coach after Majerus retires.

Head coaching experience might not be as important in our case as continuity. Majerus took years to put together the roster he wanted and teach them his system. If Majerus were to leave in the next few years, we have a strong replacement- Harriman has been there just about from the start, knows the system in and out, is young and energetic, and can recruit. A head coach hired from outside would force our program to start from scratch in terms of what they run, philosophy, recruiting targets, and vision for the program; I'd rather see what we have now carry on with a guy we have a chance to hang on to for a while.

Of all the times I've seen an assistant fill in for an ill head coach, I've never seen a performance as impressive as Harriman's at Duquesne. If the benches were not visible on the screen, you never could have guessed that Majerus was not on the sideline. Not having your head coach is a huge, huge distraction; he kept the guys on task and was perfect with substitutions (something that I always took for granted until seeing Anthony Beane fill in for Brad Soderberg). Plus, the fact that Majerus had the less-seasoned third assistant fill in as head coach because he did the scout on DU says volumes about the faith he has in Harriman's abilities. Other head coaches almost always go with the top assistant, the 'associate head coach' as they're usually called.

Furthermore, he'd be a relative bargain. Not to mention, Harriman is our most media-friendly assistant and doesn't have all of the Majerus eccentricities we've come to know and...tolerate.

Maybe not. However, I see SLU as being able to do better (especially after a couple more NCAA trips) than take a chance on HC who would be what 35 at best with Zero head coaching experience. Could he attract top of the line Asst's? Can he recruit in the US? Can he organize and run an entire program? I think we'd be selling short what SLU has to offer. Maybe he's the 1 in ??? who could make such a jump, because he really is just the right guy ... imo, it's quite a leap of faith