RickMa and SMU

Bishop

Still, the amazing thing to me is that SMU would toss around $2mm for a 64 year old guy who's got a history of health problems. I mean he lost a whole year at Utah due to his heart. He's missed games at SLU for various reasons. Granted not related to his heart. $2mm's a lot of money to be gambling with on RM. And they never tried for a Smart or a Stephens? They're building a similar RM resume at lot lesser schools than Utah. They should call Tx Tech and find out what a steal Bobby K was. Speaking of Bobby K, I actually wouldn't mind us making a run at him for a couple of years as long as he didn't insist he bring his son with him. :ph34r:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RM leaves and we can safely say that SLU wasted $81 million dollars on the new stadium. And Chaivez is out his $10 million + he ponied up.

SLU will never be a contender. No respectable coach will ever come to SLU after the circus RM had to deal with from the AD and F Biondi. It must be nice that our AD thinks we have so many options that we can sit on our asses without locking up RM when he was begging for it.

A little over the top, don't you think? With or without Rick Majerus, I expect the Billikens to make it to the NCAA tourney again in the 2012-2013 season. We have too much talent on that team. We would need to a hire coach quickly so my expectation is that Crews gets the job if Rick leaves. We will need to pony up money to Harriman to ensure he stays. Make him the top asst if they have to. This would suck but it's not thermal nuclear war.

A little over the top, don't you think? With or without Rick Majerus, I expect the Billikens to make it to the NCAA tourney again in the 2012-2013 season. We have too much talent on that team. We would need to a hire coach quickly so my expectation is that Crews gets the job if Rick leaves. We will need to pony up money to Harriman to ensure he stays. Make him the top asst if they have to. This would suck but it's not thermal nuclear war.

No way we make the tournament if Rick leaves. Players will transfer and there will be too much unrest in general

The Arena will be half empty next year if they name Crews the HC.

No way we make the tournament if Rick leaves. Players will transfer and there will be too much unrest in general

The Arena will be half empty next year if they name Crews the HC.

Who is going to transfer? Seriously. None of the three seniors will transfer. Do you really expect these juniors (McCall, Evans, and Jett) to transfer? I find that unlikely. The two sophs won't be sought after in transfer so I don't see it happening. The possible player loss would be Loe. He'd have 2 years of eligibility and a commodity in transfer. That is why keeping Harriman would be key. We keep Harriman and we keep Loe. Now if we brought in a coach from the outside that the players didn't know and the entire coaching staff was fired then all bets are off. There will be significant transfers.

If we hired Bobby Knight, I would burn my diploma. Just because you graduate players and win games doesnt give you the right to be a horrible human being. Bobby Knight is a horrible human being.

Obviously you missed the avatar at the end of that comment. A lot of people are going to be saying the same thing about Rickma if he departs for SMU.

No one will like this but the reality is Majerus' winning percentage since he's been at SLU is .569. We've been to one meaningful post season tournament. Im a fan of his but Im not Chicken Little. If he goes, he goes and I dont believe the program will regress.

The program will regress because it will show what we all suspect. SLU has no commitment to having a winning progam. We don't have to pay him $2M a year to keep him, just show him some respect. Extend his contract at $1.2M, give him chartered flights and pay his assistants. If he needs to fly to Australia to land a recruit, let him. Don't have ice creamgate all over again. Show him we're willing to compete and won't nitpick him to death.

If we don't we won't land a decent replacement, nor will we try to. We'll get the best coach $350,000 can buy. And he better not want desert after dinner.

SMU is pretty similar to SLU in size, academics, and being a urban campus. Although SLU's campus is in the hood and SMU's is in the most prestigious area of Dallas/Ft. Worth/Arlington.

The Chaifetz is a great facility. SMU's facility is old and lacks charm. They did build a nice practice facility. SMU is a football school with a basketball problem. It is now in a basketball conference with more games on ESPN than the A10.

I love SLU and hope he stays. I'm hoping this is a ploy for more $ and amenities. I'm not so hopeful that SLU will match. SMU had success with June Jones and Majerus is a similar type hire.

If we hired Bobby Knight, I would burn my diploma. Just because you graduate players and win games doesnt give you the right to be a horrible human being. Bobby Knight is a horrible human being.

There is a reason Rick, TLR and Bobby are friends. They have very similar values in life/coaching. Sure Bobby can be a bit of a dbag when it comes to UK and calling it like he sees it. He isnt going to spit out a ton of BS to make everyone happy. But he wouldnt be even close to the bottom of the scum list. He doesnt commit violations, graduates kids and wins. Not much more you could look for in a bball coach in today's game.

The onlt thing that bother me in all of this is I'm not sure I trust Biondi to do the right thing.

-i hate that i agree with this, FrB imo has done sooo much good for the U during his tenure, including building the arena, but if Rick leaves and cites lack of support (and drops some other bombs on the way out) i will be sick

-i am holding out for Rick using smu to negotiate a better deal at SLU for him and his program

How is he being run off?

- HOF Coach paid $750K a year.

- Pays his assistants salary

- Pays out of pocket for team expenses

- Begs for contract extension, has not gotten one

- Charter flights? Nope.

- Takes the team to its first Tournament since 2000, with an awesome pipeline and asks for just a little bit of respect from the AD and Biondi --- gets it? Mmm dont think so.

- Has to FIGHT with the president of the University for every little thing

I dont know what you call it, but I would call that being run off.