RickMa and SMU

Bishop

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give him an extension right now. The team is bringing in big money for the school with this years' success.

Honestly I think he only has about 4-5 years left in him anyway so I have no idea why he would want to leave, but if he has the feeling that Biondi won't extend him, I guess you can't blame him for at least having interest.

Give him an extension right now. The team is bringing in big money for the school with this years' success.

Honestly I think he only has about 4-5 years left in him anyway so I have no idea why he would want to leave, but if he has the feeling that Biondi won't extend him, I guess you can't blame him for at least having interest.

call the good Dr.

Schools like SMU are so fing ridiculous. They have a crap program but go after big name coaches that make little sense. Each school then has to pony up extra dollars to keep their coaches while SMU will eventually settle for somebody more realistic. In the meantime 3-4 coaches will get raises out of the process.

Schools like SMU are so fing ridiculous. They have a crap program but go after big name coaches that make little sense. Each school then has to pony up extra dollars to keep their coaches while SMU will eventually settle for somebody more realistic. In the meantime 3-4 coaches will get raises out of the process.

+1.

Even funnier are their message boards. You'd think they were looking for a coach at Duke. Theyre the... 6th? 7th? best job in Texas alone.

You have to shoot for the stars. Were we a similar program when we hired Majerus? That was a substantial salary increase from our other coaches, right? Didn't we contact Rick PItino or someone like him before we hired him? Or I could be dreaming that

Stupid? If he truly only makes $750k and smu is offering $2m he is miles ahead taKing that deal and would be foolish not to take it.

Stupid? The guy makes plenty and has plenty stored away. He couldn't spend everything he has if he lived another 50 years. And starting at smu would mean another 5 years before he has a shot st coaching a top 25 program whereas he already has that here. It would be stupid to take the smu job

Stupid? If he truly only makes $750k and smu is offering $2m he is miles ahead taKing that deal and would be foolish not to take it.

An FYI that this type of stuff happened EVERY YEAR when Rick was at Utah. He doesn't do a good job of refuting rumors, so they tend to spread. This may be a salary plea, but Rick is smart enough to know he is much better off at SLU over the next five years than anywhere else. If money was that important, he would have left Utah, but he didn't. He also ultimately turned down USC for big money. He will be a Billiken next year.

The only way he leaves is a falling out with Biondi. If that were the case, Biondi should (and probably would) be promptly replaced as president.

Rick leaving at this point for a 3rd rate job in Texas would permanently cement SLU as a mid major program.

It's not going to happen though.

My standard response: if RM leaves...screw him and all his talk.

BUT I don't think he is going anywhere. I think he is one to honor his commitments.

Using it to leverage a salary increase is fair game in my opinion.

How I envision this playing out:

Majerus gets a raise to about $1.25-1.5 million and he doesn't have to hit up his friend's for donations anymore. Add in permanent charter flights and Majerus will be back pimping Adriana's in no time. Then Majerus entertains Alex Fertig all weekend, thus ensuring we have the heir to the Kevin Lisch throne.

SMU offers only money, so I expect RM will stay. At this stage of his career, I suspect he is more concerned about his professional legacy than his personal fortune. At some point he wants to return to TV as an HOF coach who went out a winner, who now brings his keen insights and amusing anecdotes to share with an admiring audience.

He is on track to do that at SLU without having to start all over again. Sure, he deserves a nice raise for himself, but I expect him to supplement that with a budget large enough to hire the first-rate assistants and provide the team amenities (think travel and equipment) he needs to maintain SLU at the level we all want. That includes LB and CM, who should be happy to oblige and will find the donors to finance it.

How I envision this playing out:

Majerus gets a raise to about $1.25-1.5 million and he doesn't have to hit up his friend's for donations anymore. Add in permanent charter flights and Majerus will be back pimping Adriana's in no time. Then Majerus entertains Alex Fertig all weekend, thus ensuring we have the heir to the Kevin Lisch throne.

Bingo.

But if not... Who's got Larry Brown's number?

SMU is nuts. How soon do they think RM can make them relevant in the Beast? This is not like hiring Pitino to Louisville. UL had tradition and a brand. Pitino is Pitino. Granted RM's a relevant name in college hoops but he's never landed really big time recruits like the top Beast teams have. And he'll be going head to head w/ an 800 lb gorilla named Longhorn, a 25 foot great white shark named Texas A&M, a really mean rattler named Baylor (although he may have his chopped off here soon), and nearby OK State and OK.

It will take RM a good 3-4 years at best to make SMU a relevant program in the Beast. For a 65 year old guy with a history of serious heart issues what's the upside for them? For him? All that $2mm is gonna get RM is about $4mm worth of stress. I can't see him doing it, unless he's got his eye on a beachfront mansion in Hawaii and this gig will give him the chance to pay cash for it.

All that said, Fr. B better be calling an emergency meeting of the high rollers and saying how do we counter? Look at VCU and Butler, boys. They kept their coaching stars from jumping ship to much better and high paying programs than SMU. Get out the checkbooks.

It's not the fact that Majerus only made $750,000 it's that he had to kick in his own money to pay Jim Crews and foot the bill for the Canada trip. Slu needs to pony up not just ricks salary and fully commit to the basketball program