Malcolm Briggs is outa there

bonwich

I think that the management at Channel 5 is just incapable of judging talent. Remember the weather guy they hired before Cindy Presler - Paul something? He had absolutely no personality whatsoever, and had a short stay in St. Louis. I've seen him recently on The Weather Channel.

Roy, Channel 5 had zero input in the Rene Knott hiring decision. Gannett corporate told them they had a new sports director one day, and that was it. It is strange, but KSDK is the flagship station in the country, along with their New York City station, so some decisions just get foisted on them.

Rene got demoted in DC from sports director, and was itching for a fight with Gannett. This is the "please maintain the peace" position they found for him to cover their heine. It really doesn't matter how good, or bad, he is, he has the job and carte blanche to do as little as he wants. The department operates a lot smoother when he is not in town, doing his silly standup deliveries.

Rene is more about flash than substance, but he does not have the good contacts in St. Lou to prosper with his current attitudeand work habits. There have been more than a few departures at KSDK recently, which is benefitting all the other local news departments. Whatever his sctick, Malcolm hustles.

well that makes more sense than trying to figure out any other rational thinking. thanks sheltie!

Hey, folks--the Desir guy on Channel 2 can be truly annoying. There have been times when he has used so much hip hop/rap speech I couln't even understand the point of what he was saying. My favorite sports guy in the last 20 years was Art Holliday. He moved over to news so long ago that most people have forgotten he did sports.

yes i am. at least 25 years ago she still looked good without any talent. now she looks..................tired.

".............tired."

Can't agree. It's almost impossible to look tired when the skin around your eyes has been pinned back that much. I think Karen's had her face lifted so many times that next time around the surgeon's only option will be to lower her body instead.

Two cents:

Luv Art Holiday...gave the scores, highlights, no frills, terrific watching him when I was little.

Malcom was always first in line at the food buffet for media at any charity or celebrity sports event I attended. He chose the path of try to be the athlete's buddy, to gain more access and hang with the fellas and be a part of their group than do his job. He appeared that he peaked in the STL on the weekends after arriving from the other side of the state. He got comfy, and softy Mike Bush never really required much. Briggs had one of the cushiest deals in town. All he had to do was have a tiny bit of ambition and he would have easily had the number one job when Bush left...He obviously never thought he would get it or that Bush would step aside, and he never sought to improve.

Cusamano, so much better on radio than tv, it is ridiculous. His second grade writing is even finger nail on blackboard in small market St. Louis. Stick to what you do best, work hard at reorting. He isn't a "head."

Steve Savard? Please....as soon as he stops wearing skin tight shirts and shorts everywhere he goes, (dude we get it, you work out), maybe I can take the guy seriously. He makes the big bank, and is big fish in a small pond, and unfortunately it has gone to his head and clouds any hard work he does.

I'll take Marty over some of those.

Agreed with all points except Savard, although the dude is huge. I just think it was a case of Malcolm tried to hard...see my post above for that arguement. And the fact that you stated that Frank was better on radio than TV? After listening to his show for nearly 8 months now, I must wholeheartedly agree. On TV it just seems like he is too rigid and can't loosen up, which is in stark contrast to what a Bills game is like with him calling it. Back to Savard....I have never seen a broadcast or listened to a Rams game that I didn't enjoy with him. I really don't see a whole lot wrong with, although you may be correct on the big fish in a small pond analogy. However, when the big fish is doing the best job in town, I guess he just keeps getting bigger, so he who does best will get the most attention for it and on, and on, and on.

anita worked with trish's husb at slu for awhile. you are correct, trish was a dish. i think she has to rank as the top weather person ever. i dont care what her correct percentage was. i was flipping channels to see trish do the weather!

We have John Freakin Wilson doing the news down here in Tampa Bay. I could not believe it when I saw his mug on my TV. He did the news for KTVI in my St. Louis days. He is on Fox here and I NEVER watch Fox.

And prior to that she lived on Hortense Place between Euclid and Kingshighway. I think that was when she was married to David Lacks. The Oxford Building was probably just a pied-à-terre between husbands or between surgeries.

(Now, if you *really* want about one degree of separation: Karen Elshout is currently standing about 20 feet from me. She used to be married to Jim Whiteley [who used to work with me at the RFT]. Whiteley is currently [and has been for quite a while, I think] Mr. Karen Foss.)