Liddell is likely to go prep school route

BillsWin

at least we are hearing that tommie's intentions are to stick with slu. none of this reopening recruiting stuff that was being spread. considering what we had been hearing i think this is great news. now brad needs to reseal the deal in november.

It sure sounds as if TL wants to stay home and play for SLU. Question, is he now open game for the biggies? I mean is his LOI effectively moot and worthless. Can they invite him for visits starting today? Hopefully, UB announces he re-signs him in November. If there is a glitch there, we could be in trouble.

Why isn't anyone talking about Newburne. According to Rivals he's committed?

i believe liddell is slu property until slu agrees to release him or until liddell isnt enrolled at the start of the school year. i.e. he should be off limits all summer long and the sharks will have to make the trip to virginia to see him actually play at hargrove. does anyone else have a different read?

Well, if he's ours until we release him...I say, don't release. There must be some date though that it's official he isn't enrolling thereby making the LOI null and void, say September. So that would give the barracudas a two month window thereabouts to make their slimy pitches. Hopefully, his dad and he just say "sorry not interested" and put pen to paper in November for SLU. Actually, I'm more worried about Lisch at this point. Actually, I'm scared silly we'll never see either of them in Billiken Blue, call it inbred Billiken Insecurity, but to land both of them makes me think I'll be pinching myself all day to make sure I'm not dreaming.

This was a very positive article in the Post about Tommie.

As for KL, we all knew he was going to take his visits and all we have right now is a question if anybody heard that he would be working out for Purdue tomorrow. A question on an internet board is nothing to get your blood pressure up about. We are in great position on KL. Will that be good enough? I don't know but I know we can't freak out everytime a school talks to him or this will be a very long summer.

slu72,

I understand your angst, as I have been a Bills fan even longer and remember some of the other kids (live David Brent) that got away. However, no use worrying too much as I read that TL wants to honor his original commitment to SLU. Of course he does not have to do that after enrolling at Hargrave, but the comments in this article from his father seem very sincere. TL likes Coach Soderberg and Coach Thorpe and that is very encouraging. I really believe that come November, we will resign TL and also Kevin Lisch will sign on the dotted line to become a Billiken...you gotta Billeve!!!

I remember Brent. I was in a history class with Harry Rogers who played with Brent at can't remember the hs's name but it began with an S, who told a bunch of us one day that Brent was a lock for SLU. Then the next thing you know he goes to Jacksonville. Yes, I shouldn't fret so much, but I think with the level of this talent, i.e. TL, DP, LM, and KL being strongly mentioned as SLU recruits you have to guard against getting too high. Plus, I think we are still hurting from the 'zo years...Hayes, Sampson, Kern, Hollins, etc. C'mon Kshoe you got to admit we got our reasons for being a little skeptical until the check clears the bank. Aaah as we always say "it ain't easy being a Bills fan."

I don't know. But from what I've read here it sounds as though the LOI is good until he doesn't actually enroll, around September, or we release him. If what the Post is reporting that he's still going to commit to SLU, I don't know why we can't just extend the LOI, but that is probably against some NCAA rule. In any event, if the report is true then November is just a formality. If it's not correct, we should know if he hedges in the fall.

TL going to a prep school is no surprise and good news for TL. Hopefully it will be good news for SLU in November. More than anything else, TL needs a solid academic catch-up year before landing on any college campus.

I assume someone will reseach when an LOI expires. I'm guessing the day he starts classes at his prep school he is again an open recruit, or the day he is officially classified as a non-qualifier.

In those days, Sumner was king and Vashon was just a blip on the radar screen as it was before FI's time. The team with Harry Rogers, David Brent and Marshal Rogers (I don't think he was related to Harry) was one of the best HS teams that I have EVER seen. Harry was a Billiken great, Brent was OK at Jacksonville and Marshal Rogers lead the country in scoring one year at Pan American. They just rolled teams in the Missouri HS state championship in Harry's senior year. David Brent definitely verbaled to SLU and then changed his mind at the end and played with Artis Gilmore at Jacksonville.

This could be a blessing in disguise. If Liddell resigns in the fall, and we sign Lisch in the fall, we will have a Liddell/Lisch backcourt for four years (with Dwayne joining them for three). If Ian and Husak improve and Dennard also signs in the fall, we could be looking at really great things for many years to come.

Schasz

From what I remember David Brent actually signed a conference letter of intent to SLU. Back then they had conference letters of intent which came a week before national letters of intent. Before the national letter of intent Brent sort of disappeared and when it came time to sign his national letter of intent he signed with Jacksonville.

I may not have all the facts right but I think it was something like this. Long time ago, hard to remember everything

I don't remember the whole story as that was back in the Bob Polk era who I thought was a decent HC at SLU. I remember the night that Harry set the single game scoring record as it was at the old Kiel Auditorium and I worked at the joint back in those days. I believe it was against West Texas who was in the MVC back in those days. Harry was quite a player for SLU, and I am sure that SLU would have had a couple NCAA appearances if David Brent wore the Billiken Blue back then. Just another missed opportunity.

As I've said before and as I told Dwayne Polk last month, I envision Polk and Tommie Liddell as SLU's version of the St. Joseph's duo, Jameer Nelson and Delonte West. The difference would have been that Polk and Liddell would be in the same class, whereas Nelson was a year ahead of West. Now the similarities will be more congruent.

2008 Elite Eight (or Final Four), here we come! (hopefully sooner)

Since attending prep school will guarantee his release, I think we have to take the high road and tell him it's his life and he is free now. We have absolutely no real leverage now anyway, so why try to control what we can't? Just stay close and try to reseal in Nov.

what is "low" about protecting our position over the summer? brad did a lot of work to win that loi. i think he deserves the head start that would accompany the re-recruiting process by holding it until the last moment. i see nothing wrong with it. especially considering the fact we know the "big boys" dont like to play nice.

exactly, it is well known that in this day and age almost all of the college recruiting is done over the summer. if because of the current loi we can hold off at least the ethical yet agressive competition, i say hold on as long as possible.

now if tommie comes to slu and asks to be released, that is a different story. if he doesnt want to be at slu, then i agree with unca, let him go. but the article in today's post by stu (another fine job stu!) clearly demonstrates at this time, tommie wants to be a billiken.