RM on Bernies Show

I wish Bernie would have taken the time to attend a game in person. That being said, he is the lead sports columnist for the P-D, with responsibility to write columns about the Rams, Cardinals, Blues, Mizzou football, and every other sport that garners attention from time to time. This must spread him thin (no pun intended). He has done a nice job of regularly including the Billikens in his bits and blogs this year. Agree or disagree with his views, he is probably the number 2 writer at the P-D (after McClellan), is considered one of the top sports columnists in the Midwest, if not the country, and has the leading sports talk radio show in town. Majerus would be a fool not to build a bridge there.

One of the first things RM did when he came to St. Louis was build a relationship with Bernie. RM also seems to have built one with Burwell, who has taken up some of coach's causes. The myth that RM is not good with the media is laughable. RM's national connections have also helped. SLU has gotten numerous mentions from the ESPN talking heads throughout the season. I agree with an earlier point that RM seems very upbeat about his future at SLU and is really making the local media rounds, but I would contend that he did a great job as "ambassador" last year. During the final couple of months of last season, he was all over the media telling anybody who would listen to keep an eye on our young players and that we were going to be really good this season. It was a very tough season last year, but RM did a good job of keeping his spirits up and letting the "casual" fan and media know that better times were right around the corner with the return of KM and a healthy Cody to go along with a group of rapidly improving young players.

Anybody can make a time mistake - it does not say anything about BM and his interest in SLU. Burwell started last year before the "incident" and took a little time off but he early on was talking about SLU. He just enjoys good BB so he with any program he thinks is playing good ball. BM and RM share a love for food and when BM came they hit it off going to places to eat thus the connection they have. I am not even sure if BM saw MO play this year in person. BM has pretty much stopped going to games - and just watching on TV - not sure if it is a health thing or not - he does travel out of town when he needs to - he even watches Blues games on TV but he does have season tix to the Rams and he does go to Cards games.

Bernie showed his true knowledge by stating we have a 230 tip off--well informed as always on the program. He is always acting like he cares about SLU which is far from the truth.

Disagree with this. Bernie is a fan of the program and of Majerus personally. He simply has been critical of the SLU administration over the years and its previous lack of commitment. Rightfully so. Almost without exception, I agreed with nearly every critical thing he has said, though sometimes the truth hurt.

Those days are over (Bernie has rarely been critical since Chaifetz was built and Majerus hired) and I expect him to be among our best journalist/enthusiasts.

I will offer one criticism this year of Bernie. With all the success we've had to date, he hasn't written a Billiken column. Yes, been a few "bits" here and there. But Burwell has written more content than Bernie. Maybe Bernie's saving the best for last -- as we embark upon the A10 and NCAA tourneys.

Bernie showed his true knowledge by stating we have a 230 tip off--well informed as always on the program. He is always acting like he cares about SLU which is far from the truth.

By the way, if you listen to the entire interview, you'll notice that towards the end, Bernie corrected the tip-off time mistake he made without any prompting from Rickma. He caught it ...