RM on Bernies Show

-wow, they covered some ground, thanks for posting

-if what bm said is true, he is going to travel witht the Bills to the ncaa, God help that plane and whatever diner will love that bill

-i guess bm's first SLU game of the season will be in the ncaa? hope he is not a jinx

Interesting tid bits:

There have been rumblings of another team contemplating leaving the A-10. He likes 14 more than 15 for scheduling.

He praised the turnout at the 76 Classic. 400-500 strong

In response to a question about his commitment long-term, RM said he spent at least $45,000 personally this year between Canada and coaches salaries. He also convinced another friend, not Chaifetz, of his to donate another $45,000.

"Don't forgot, our team returns 7 of our top 9 and 6 of our top 7 next year. We're in a really good situation right now."

Freshman in the program will be meeting and greeting families & students in the fall. Rick is planning a 'brat fry' in the fall for the students.

"I'm really excited about the direction of the program. The arrow is up big time."

He practically begs Bernie to get some of the players on for interviews.

Rick Ma can ramble with the best of 'em, but he speaks so confidently about the program it is hard not to get excited.

Interesting tid bits:

There have been rumblings of another team contemplating leaving the A-10. He likes 14 more than 15 for scheduling.

He praised the turnout at the 76 Classic. 400-500 strong

In response to a question about his commitment long-term, RM said he spent at least $45,000 personally this year between Canada and coaches salaries. He also convinced another friend, not Chaifetz, of his to donate another $45,000.

"Don't forgot, our team returns 7 of our top 9 and 6 of our top 7 next year. We're in a really good situation right now."

Freshman in the program will be meeting and greeting families & students in the fall. Rick is planning a 'brat fry' in the fall for the students.

"I'm really excited about the direction of the program. The arrow is up big time."

He practically begs Bernie to get some of the players on for interviews.

Rick Ma can ramble with the best of 'em, but he speaks so confidently about the program it is hard not to get excited.

Heck yeah! This interview just got me super excited for next year. I'm pounding a beer in Rickma's name!

I know this is really early to talk about, but since I have nothing better to do until Friday....

What are the thoughts on having a midnight madness next year to get the students pumped up for the season????

Rick generally is never a big proponent of it, but I think it would be a great way to keep momentum rolling

I know this is really early to talk about, but since I have nothing better to do until Friday....

What are the thoughts on having a midnight madness next year to get the students pumped up for the season????

Rick generally is never a big proponent of it, but I think it would be a great way to keep momentum rolling

Agree. Definitely gets not only the students, but the fans, media, and community in general excited and on board. Plus, now that we have Chaifetz, it can be done right!

F'n great interview with Rickma! Love this guy...

I think the fair question is where has this Rickma been the last 5 years? It's not hard to get fired up for SLU when you hear this version(and I'm speaking as a non alum of course). But when he bailed on the radio show, etc I think people were kind of turned off. He is as engaging as they come when he wants to. E.

I think the fair question is where has this Rickma been the last 5 years? It's not hard to get fired up for SLU when you hear this version(and I'm speaking as a non alum of course). But when he bailed on the radio show, etc I think people were kind of turned off. He is as engaging as they come when he wants to.

I think he wanted to avoid the trap of hyping too soon and then not meeting expectations. Now he knows the program is in place, the wins are coming, its time to spread the word.

Also, this is required listening before anyone starts another thread to reorganize our league or schedule our non-con games. Its time to leave our little valley, and head for the big cities. Bye-bye Bear, it was nice knowing you.

I think he wanted to avoid the trap of hyping too soon and then not meeting expectations. Now he knows the program is in place, the wins are coming, its time to spread the word.

Also, this is required listening before anyone starts another thread to reorganize our league or schedule our non-con games. Its time to leave our little valley, and head for the big cities. Bye-bye Bear, it was nice knowing you.

Huh?

Interviewing Majerus would be a piece of cake. Just say "hello rick, How are you today?" Then you can turn off your mic, grab a snack, or go take a dump.

He will fill all of the remaining time.

Now if you are a producer and he was on your show that woudl be tough. Trying to cut him off to get to a commercial break would be brutal.

I love hearing him on the radio but I always find his interviews funny because there isnt really a need to ask any questions.

Majerus said the things that need to be said, frankly in some cases, the things that have needed to be said for decades.

Majerus: "I'm asked if we're ready to play Missouri. H--- yes, we're ready to play Missouri." Majerus knows who SLU's real competition is for media and fan attention, and he is addressing it head on. Bravo!

Majerus said the Big East split is coming, and he is positioning the SLU program to be invited into the league with the Catholic Basketball schools.

Remember, Majerus learned under the great PR Coach, Al McGuire. He is very much carrying forward the McGuire Legacy.

This interview/speech should go into the Billiken Hall of Fame- outstanding stuff from our Coach.

IMO this year RM has started to be the ambassador of the program many have criticized him for not being. I also wished he would have been more visible and more informative in his first 4 years here but a lightbulb went off today when he was gushing over the state of the SLU program. I probably would have been a bit standoffish as well considering the situation that he encountered when he got here. We hired a hall of fame coach and the expectations were a 180 turnaround in a very short timeframe. There is no way I would have been willing to answer some of the tough questions he surely would have been asked about many of the things that had to be done to get the program where it is today. He had to take a program that had almost little in terms of talent and start the recruiting process from scratch. IMO, This is the first time that I have sensed real excitement and pride from RM in what is happening now and in the future. I am personally excited that he loves his players, loves the city, and praises everything about our fanbase and the school. The man is building something for the future at SLU and wants to make it a program that plays with the big boys year in and year out. GO BILLS!!!

IMO this year RM has started to be the ambassador of the program many have criticized him for not being. I also wished he would have been more visible and more informative in his first 4 years here but a lightbulb went off today when he was gushing over the state of the SLU program. I probably would have been a bit standoffish as well considering the situation that he encountered when he got here. We hired a hall of fame coach and the expectations were a 180 turnaround in a very short timeframe. There is no way I would have been willing to answer some of the tough questions he surely would have been asked about many of the things that had to be done to get the program where it is today. He had to take a program that had almost little in terms of talent and start the recruiting process from scratch. IMO, This is the first time that I have sensed real excitement and pride from RM in what is happening now and in the future. I am personally excited that he loves his players, loves the city, and praises everything about our fanbase and the school. The man is building something for the future at SLU and wants to make it a program that plays with the big boys year in and year out. GO BILLS!!!

+1 well said...

I don't know Bernie as well as you guys, but he sounded phoney to me. What was that about kissing up to RM? Travel with him to the NCAA tournament after watching the X game on TV?

I don't know Bernie as well as you guys, but he sounded phoney to me. What was that about kissing up to RM? Travel with him to the NCAA tournament after watching the X game on TV?

Ya sucks having the lead columnist of the paper in town and the most influential media guy in the market who also happens to be Rickma's go to guy travel with and cover the team. People complain about the media even when they try to promote the Bills.

-sbob i don't quite get the Rick and bm relationship myself, when Rick came to town they seemed to either click right away or Rick is using him or they had a relationship prior to Rick's arrival, but they were confidants (at least one way) very quickly

-i posted earlier, i think the ncaa tounrey will be bm;s first in person game this season, he used to get to a few but he is recently married so perhaps that cuts down on his attendance

-i don;t listen much to his show as i think he is not good on radio and is writing has declined imo since he went on radio and has all the blog stuff to attend to

-if you have seen Rick, bm is bigger and last time i saw him by a good margin now esp since it looks like Rick dropped a few pounds

Its Ok to let Bernie on the wagon. He is just joining the other 4000 that didn't bother to show up except for dayton and Xavier.

I wish Bernie would have taken the time to attend a game in person. That being said, he is the lead sports columnist for the P-D, with responsibility to write columns about the Rams, Cardinals, Blues, Mizzou football, and every other sport that garners attention from time to time. This must spread him thin (no pun intended). He has done a nice job of regularly including the Billikens in his bits and blogs this year. Agree or disagree with his views, he is probably the number 2 writer at the P-D (after McClellan), is considered one of the top sports columnists in the Midwest, if not the country, and has the leading sports talk radio show in town. Majerus would be a fool not to build a bridge there.

People can say what they want to about Burwell (I know I have at times), but he has been better to SLU than anyone else at the Post. The guy in the past has been to a lot of games. I think at one time he even had season tickets with his daughter. He, also, knows his hoops.