Not good news

Why would he attend a school such has Michigan State

>or Illinois for that matter. Those schools are beholden to

>the likes of Detroit and Chicago.

MSU and Izzo are not "beholden" to Detroit. In fact, Izzo has only signed 2 city of Detroit kids in his career at MSU - Ager and Cotton, and Cotton transferred, and 2 suburban Detroit kids, Davis (Rochester) and Anagonye (Southfield). He focuses on Saginaw/Flint area and other hotbeds across the state. Detroit is Michigan's territory.

>Playing consistently with top-notch competition might be the

>impetus in driving Tommie Liddell's game to an even higher

>level.

>

>I am a little worried about his recruitment opening up.

>With him staying a year so far away from home, I just hope

>he doesn't get used to being away and attend a higher

>profile school.

Saint Louis U. will be a "higher profile school." The arrow is pointing up.

Tommie goes to Hargrove, and does very well there. The Bills faithfully recruit Tommie while he plays a large role in a great basketball season next year, resulting in both Tommie and a second friend who is a stud power forward enrolling at SLU.

Guys, outside of Jalen's Dad there seems to be some major cracks appearing in many people's confidence. Too many Chicken Littles and not enough Marines, especially after seeing this year's results. We lost Marque, had no known center, and instead of making the NIT with a miracle run, we waltzed into the NIT. A similar improvement next year gets us into the NCAA, and yet people are lining up for a wake? I guess I'll head over to Tigerboard to read some positive posts...

I'm not surprised as well. I think for Tommie it's a very good move, especially if he's not prepared for college academically. I know many wanted him at SLU for basketball, but I agree that playing ball is hard when u add the stress of exams, deadlines, etc...it's even harder to maintain a decent GPA. So take him taking the time and investing in his future was a brave move. I don't know if he'll decide to stay with SLU after prep school. But I do believe if opportunity knocked after prep school to go somewhere where he's almost assured to progress to the NBA (which is his long term goal), he would owe it to himself to at least check it out. He may not, but I know from experience, a lot of Top Notch schools come knocking after Prep school, especially when u've made a significant name for yourself. Hargrove is a good school. When Reg graduated the best prep schools were St. Thomas More and MCI..so it boils down to Tommie, making wise decisions.

>Tommie goes to Hargrove, and does very well there. The Bills

>faithfully recruit Tommie while he plays a large role in a

>great basketball season next year, resulting in both Tommie

>and a second friend who is a stud power forward enrolling at

>SLU.

>

>Guys, outside of Jalen's Dad there seems to be some major

>cracks appearing in many people's confidence. Too many

>Chicken Littles and not enough Marines, especially after

>seeing this year's results. We lost Marque, had no known

>center, and instead of making the NIT with a miracle run, we

>waltzed into the NIT. A similar improvement next year gets

>us into the NCAA, and yet people are lining up for a wake? I

>guess I'll head over to Tigerboard to read some positive

>posts...

Perhaps you did not see my post above. I expect SLU to be improved next season, even without Tommie Liddell, and I still expect to see Liddell as a Billiken. Meanwhile, I'm curious to know what you can find positive on Tigerboard, considering the 2004-05 Tigers will likely miss the 2005 NCAA Tournament -- and not necessarily because they'll be on probation.

Sorry, Thicks, but I was numb after reading so many "The sky is falling" posts. We'll be in the running for Tommie again. You have a good background on the ins and outs of recruiting decisions. I happen to view Tommie attending Hargrove as a good recruiting foot in the door there.

What recruit would not be interested in opening their sophomore year at a brand new arena, making the Big Dance, and attending a major metro university with a beautiful campus, a hell on wheels point guard and backcourt, and plenty of playing time for the picking? Our best classes resulted from friends wanting to play together, and then augmenting that class with a solid followup year. Brad and his staff know how to get this done!

Dave, I think you over-reacted to the posts in this thread. The board solidly has confidence in Brad for the long-term (with or without TL in our future). What you are reading is disappointment and this is only human nature (and understandable when a talent like TL is the subject). No need to degrade the posters for what has been said IMHO.

I'm more excited about SLU since the Claggett/Highmark era. However as has been pointed out within the thread, Liddell will hear from recruiters that will badmouth SLU. They'll talk about TV exposure, the conference affiliation, and their few NBA alumni (Hughes, Bonner and...). I wish I was as confident as Jalensdad, but I don't see Liddell in a SLU uniform.

>I'm more excited about SLU since the Claggett/Highmark era.

>However as has been pointed out within the thread, Liddell

>will hear from recruiters that will badmouth SLU. They'll

>talk about TV exposure, the conference affiliation, and

>their few NBA alumni (Hughes, Bonner and...). I wish I was

>as confident as Jalensdad, but I don't see Liddell in a SLU

>uniform.

Will all those negative recruiters be able to tell Tommie Liddell anything that will outweigh the relationships that have started to form between himself and Brad Soderberg, Dwayne Polk, and Kevin Lisch (who we all hope and expect will commit to SLU before Tommie enrolls at whatever school he goes to)? If the things you mentioned were so important to Tommie AND were missing from SLU, why did he choose SLU in the first place? I just don't think all the things that appealled to Tommie in his decision to sign with SLU will disappear.

I still believe Liddell will be a Billiken, and I still have some hope that it will be this coming season. He still has another chance to take the ACT. Dennard Abraham got a qualifying score late (too late, though, as SLU had already given his scholarship away), so maybe Tommie will, too. And hopefully his scholarship won't be given away.

> Why would he attend a school such has Michigan State

>>or Illinois for that matter. Those schools are beholden to

>>the likes of Detroit and Chicago.

>

>MSU and Izzo are not "beholden" to Detroit. In fact, Izzo

>has only signed 2 city of Detroit kids in his career at MSU

>- Ager and Cotton, and Cotton transferred, and 2 suburban

>Detroit kids, Davis (Rochester) and Anagonye (Southfield).

>He focuses on Saginaw/Flint area and other hotbeds across

>the state. Detroit is Michigan's territory.

When I vaguely say Detroit and Chicago what I'm really saying is that schools like Illinois and Michigan State are more likely to favor the big city kids. I still remember Jesse Hall of Venice, Illinois being more prized than Steve Smith. I also remember Jesse Hall finishing his career at Edwardsville. If I'm a player, I go where I can play immediately.

>When I vaguely say Detroit and Chicago what I'm really

>saying is that schools like Illinois and Michigan State are

>more likely to favor the big city kids. I still remember

>Jesse Hall of Venice, Illinois being more prized than Steve

>Smith. I also remember Jesse Hall finishing his career at

>Edwardsville. If I'm a player, I go where I can play

>immediately.

Jesse Hall had some "issues" at MSU, that's why he finished his career elsewhere. Could have been something special there but he cost himself that chance.

Actually, if you look at MSU's most recent classes there are few "big city" kids compared to kids from smaller areas, unless you count Wyoming, MI, Muskegon, MI, Lansing, MI, Bay City, MI, etc "big cities."

that Liddell was VERY reluctant to leave home and this was when he was a freshman. However with the move across the country, there's the possibility that he'll get used to being out on his own. True, it appears that the bond between him and Polk are tight, so let's hope it's strong enough to keep him at SLU.