Band observations

It also doesn't help when the student section gets an actual cheer going Mike decides it is time to get the band playing. Mike it is ok if you actually let the student section actually get into the game. We will all survive if we miss out on saints one time.

I've seen this a couple times on here now, and I'm kind of confused by it. When does this happen?

As Roy said there have been two games where the students have had to use overflow seating-where have they been for the rest of the games. Can anyone honestly say poor student attendance is a result of the band taking too much room. Agree, until the students GOSEETHEKIDSPLAY there are plenty of seats for them.

No we shouldn't open up the whole lower bowl for the students, but they are the ones spending 40 grand a year to attend the school so I think we should offer them all the seats low behind the basket.

And yes the band is sometimes more vocal than the student section, but when the student section is good it adds far more to the game atmosphere than the band. Student sections set the tone at college basketball games. It also doesn't help when the student section gets an actual cheer going Mike decides it is time to get the band playing. Mike it is ok if you actually let the student section actually get into the game. We will all survive if we miss out on saints one time.

good point. i've always wondered why this happens. i've sat in the student section on rare occasions and seen this happen, and everyone's like, "well that sucks, that cheer could have kept going but was drowned out."

don't get me wrong, i love the band and think they add so much to the atmosphere at the fetz. just wish they could rethink their strategy on this one...

OK...really?! REALLY?!?! :blink: I thought this whole damn conversation was over with before?

From one Brian to another, go read my other post I made in reference to this topic a few days ago. It might actually make you think a little more before you go blasting off with probably the DUMBEST topic to bring up on this board. You are NOT going to have many supporters for your "cause/ideology" here.

For your reference:

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21917&st=80

See post #86

Oh, and to add to that explanation, there's also a lot of logistics that go into the positioning of the band that you don't know about. The sound system requirements alone were hard enough to figure out, so for simplicity's sake, let's put this at the forefront of the reasons as to WHY the band is where it's at.

We should like our band more than our student section at this point.

And that kind of attitude lies at the heart of the problem.

Let's see, we currently have two threads complaining about how few students come to games and then when they do they aren't loud.

For the band, people here either compliment the band, or say it's too big. Saying its too big, is saying that TOO MANY people care.

Let's see, we currently have two threads complaining about how few students come to games and then when they do they aren't loud.

For the band, people here either compliment the band, or say it's too big. Saying its too big, is saying that TOO MANY people care.

In fairness, there's really only one person in this thread saying the band is too big. Everyone else is saying its great.

OK...really?! REALLY?!?! :blink: I thought this whole damn conversation was over with before?

From one Brian to another, go read my other post I made in reference to this topic a few days ago. It might actually make you think a little more before you go blasting off with probably the DUMBEST topic to bring up on this board. You are NOT going to have many supporters for your "cause/ideology" here.

For your reference:

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21917&st=80

See post #86

Oh, and to add to that explanation, there's also a lot of logistics that go into the positioning of the band that you don't know about. The sound system requirements alone were hard enough to figure out, so for simplicity's sake, let's put this at the forefront of the reasons as to WHY the band is where it's at.

Sorry, no cause/idealogy here. Just my opinions. I love the band even when you guys overstate your actual importance to the overall product.

I can't believe that on a day when the board unanimously agrees on something - student attendance is poor - that there is another conversation that completely flies in the face of that agreement.

Moving the band back makes absolutely no sense, regardless of student body attendance. Have you ever been to a college basketball game anywhere, with either good or poor student attendance, where the band is in the upper deck? I'm trying to picture it and it seems ridiculous. I'm going through mentally now where I've been (Xavier, Dayton, Duke, Georgia Tech, Marquette, Louisville, Cincinnati, Mizzou, Iowa, Bowling Green, Northwestern, Memphis, Butler, Loyola-Chicago, UIC, UWM, Missouri State, SIUC, Tournament games, and places I'm probably forgetting), and I can't think of one that puts the band in the upper deck. This is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. I can't believe it appeared on this board and is still being discussed.

The band is the only consistent presence we have had over the past decade. If you are complaining about the band, then you are probably one of the ******-tards sitting down in the student section.

GET THE FRAT/SORORITIES INVOLVED!

i'm sorry, but when I was a student, the kids who headed up the blue crew were the rejects on campus. Nobody liked them, but they felt important because they had pizza before a game and wore a viking hat. Get the rowdy gentleman and ladies involved!

The band is the only consistent presence we have had over the past decade. If you are complaining about the band, then you are probably one of the ******-tards sitting down in the student section.

GET THE FRAT/SORORITIES INVOLVED!

This is easier said than done. I am working with a friend and current member of Sig Ep who is a lifelong Billiken fan to get the frat to sit in the first few rows and get crazy. A friend of mine who is a delta sig is also trying to help get the frats involved but a lot of them like to stand or sit behind the band.

i'm sorry, but when I was a student, the kids who headed up the blue crew were the rejects on campus. Nobody liked them, but they felt important because they had pizza before a game and wore a viking hat. Get the rowdy gentleman and ladies involved!

I agree with this statement. I think that this has caused a lot of the problems with the "too cool" kids who sit down in the students section as I'm sure the stories of THAT GUY have been passed from class to class in the frats. However, one of these so called ladies and gentlemen told me to calm down during the Dayton game. That I have a problem with.

Heres a thought to make the band more effective. At Cal home games the band marches out of the tunnel during warmups before the game around the perimeter of the court, than up the half court line and around the visiting team a few times, then take their seats. I love it when the brass blows right in their opponents ears as they try to loosen up.

Heres a thought to make the band more effective. At Cal home games the band marches out of the tunnel during warmups before the game around the perimeter of the court, than up the half court line and around the visiting team a few times, then take their seats. I love it when the brass blows right in their opponents ears as they try to loosen up.

I like the power moves. That would make the Fetz that much more intimidating. #NOBODYWANTSTOPLAYATTHEFETZ

The band is the only consistent presence we have had over the past decade. If you are complaining about the band, then you are probably one of the ******-tards sitting down in the student section. GET THE FRAT/SORORITIES INVOLVED! i'm sorry, but when I was a student, the kids who headed up the blue crew were the rejects on campus. Nobody liked them, but they felt important because they had pizza before a game and wore a viking hat. Get the rowdy gentleman and ladies involved!

if there is one glaring mistake the athletic department is making, it is the above highlighted statement by Randy. my gosh, meet with the greeks and get them on your side to promote the team. bribe em, beg em whatever. i know from experience with both my son and daughter that when they talk about their "greek" experience, it seems that pleasing their frat/sorority is about as high a priority as it comes. so AD, go after the greeks. get them to come. get them to be enthused. that will solve your student issues. i know it has been brought up that in years past the greeks and the blue crew werent on the same page, well that is all part of it. solve that problem where they both want to be on the same page.

It is my understanding that the band is forbidden to play when the clock is running, and is instructed to play during most timeouts. Is that correct? However, the AD and the refs can't stop the fans from jeering or cheering or encouraging or ridiculing whomever and whenever they damn well please when the clock is running. If the refs are aggrieved, they can call a "T", but in the absence of physical combat that's a problem we would like to have.

This business of pitting the band against the students is a problem we DON'T need to have. And a substantial majority of the band ARE students, right?

You're kidding, right? First, it was that Savis was too hard to get to. Then, it was the team wasn't good enough. Then, we build a great venue on campus, and it was too expensive to go to a game. Now, it's the seats aren't good enough!!

You guys are a joke. The student body's attendance last night was horrible. Our turnout over the holidays, is horrible. Frankly, there aren't any good explanations left.

yep! we either need to let more sluts and bros into school (yikes) or make the existing contingent of sluts and bros feel like asshats for not attending. when i was in a fraternity, i wanted people to see how drunk and loud i was all the time. hell, i still want people to see how drunk and loud i am all the time. what greater venue than a college sporting event where YOU CAN DRINK BEER IN THE ARENA to show everyone how drunk and loud you are!?!? if you're not old enough, bring a gotdamn flask. it's not lightbulb science. no excuses, this student thing is pissing me off bigtime now.

yep! we either need to let more sluts and bros into school (yikes) or make the existing contingent of sluts and bros feel like asshats for not attending. when i was in a fraternity, i wanted people to see how drunk and loud i was all the time. hell, i still want people to see how drunk and loud i am all the time. what greater venue than a college sporting event where YOU CAN DRINK BEER IN THE ARENA to show everyone how drunk and loud you are!?!? if you're not old enough, bring a gotdamn flask. it's not lightbulb science. no excuses, this student thing is pissing me off bigtime now.

Jimbo, "sluts and brothers"? Please explain. (I will wait until you explain before I get offended.) If by "brothers" you mean black males, then by association it would seem that "sluts" refers to black females. What do you really mean?

Jimbo, "sluts and brothers"? Please explain. (I will wait until you explain before I get offended.) If by "brothers" you mean black males, then by association it would seem that "sluts" refers to black females. What do you really mean?

ugggggh... really??? :blink:

sluts...

Posted Image

and bros...

Posted Image

but yeah. "that's racism, man! i love to racism, bro!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJoaNDPWC0g