Look at Butler Basketball

RiseAndGrind

I think our decrease in the national rankings is due to our 70% acceptance rating. I EXPECT SLU to be a top 50 University.....a decrease in ranking from ~70 5 years ago to 90 this year is not acceptable to me. I could give to shits how we get our ranking higher, but we need to do so ASAP

Is this the academic equivalent to the "just win baby" sports attitude?

But really the basketball teams success in the NCAA will have a huge effect on the donations coming in. Hell they could pay off the Fetz if we make the final four. Sweet 16 and you're looking at a major overhaul of some buildings. NIT? A free set of steak knifes.

A huge metric is what jobs and grad schools the graduates get coming out of college. SLU could do much better in that regard

I think the UNews had an article recently about graduate success. 95% of recent grads, I believe, either had a job, were in grad school or chose not to search for a job (i.e. family reasons)

So Marquette is our closest peer out of Catholic schools, but what could SLU do to catch up with the likes of the other four? I don't see it happening anytime soon. And I don't just mean in those rankings- I just don't consider SLU a peer of Georgetown, ND, Fordham, or BC. It doesn't seem even close, the relative prestige in comparison to any of those four.

As a Fordham grad, '91, I have no idea what Fordham has done to get itself into the elite status. NYC is probably a hotter commodity than it was in the late 80s-early 90s when the crack wars were happening. SLU could catch Fordham in academics, where it will lose out is starting salary of recent grads (east coast jobs just pay more), and experience, STL is not NYC. I would not put Fordham in the ranks of the other three, as there is no way I could have gotten into them.

I think the UNews had an article recently about graduate success. 95% of recent grads, I believe, either had a job, were in grad school or chose not to search for a job (i.e. family reasons)

That may be true, but coming from someone who not long ago went through the job process SLU doesn't have any recognition in the major markets (Chicago, New York, LA) for business majors. Just getting a job or coming back to SLU for grad school doesn't help our ranking

That may be true, but coming from someone who not long ago went through the job process SLU doesn't have any recognition in the major markets (Chicago, New York, LA) for business majors. Just getting a job or coming back to SLU for grad school doesn't help our ranking

Bingo. Besides S Illinois, Missouri, and in religious circles... Slu has zero name recognition. We have very little alumni in the major business circles ( we did have a connection at Lehman brothers for a few years that got a couple Slu kids into). I think this is evident by the horrible job board and job fairs.

Bingo. Besides S Illinois, Missouri, and in religious circles... Slu has zero name recognition. We have very little alumni in the major business circles ( we did have a connection at Lehman brothers for a few years that got a couple Slu kids into). I think this is evident by the horrible job board and job fairs.

After I graduated from SLU I had a rough time finding a job and had to move back home to Milwaukee. It is so unbelievably demoralizing how no one up here has ever heard of SLU. I can't stand people from Marquette. For my sanity I need the Bills to go farther in the tournament than Marquette.

Being a recent Park's Alum, job search assistance was non-existent, but from what I've seen SLU has a good amount of alums and recognition in the engineering (aerospace) industry.

After I graduated from SLU I had a rough time finding a job and had to move back home to Milwaukee. It is so unbelievably demoralizing how no one up here has ever heard of SLU. I can't stand people from Marquette. For my sanity I need the Bills to go farther in the tournament than Marquette.

Doesn't SLU get a lot of kids from Wisconsin?

In my age group of college entry Vietnam crowded schools and SLU reject lots of kids Marquette not only took but graduated.

Al Maquire was a much more highly regarded coach with Marquette than RM is now; that flys in the face of your assumptions

SLU has a great name in health care... especially the nursing, physical therapy, and occupational therapy programs

Every alumni I have ran into here on the Left coast has been in the Health Care field. What I found interesting was that SLU doesn't even have an Alumni Book.... my high school even has an alumni book...