Please help with marketing project about game attendanc

For a project for my marketing research class, I chose to study why people in the SLU community do or do not attend Billikens basketball games. I am trying to get the input of SLU students, alumni, and fans of the basketball team. I'm surveying plenty of students at SLU, but I also wanted to get the perspective of the die-hard fans, so of course I had to come to the Billikens.com community ;). If you could take 5 or 10 minutes to fill out the survey that I made up, it would greatly help my research. Here is the link: https://www.slu.edu/easysurvey/public/surve...name=TeamJ_copy

Thank you in advance for your input! I will be sure to post my findings once the project is complete.

I filled out the survey.

Last Spring when I had to construct a Persuasive Speech for my Public Speaking class, I also chose to make student attendance the subject of my project. In my research, I sent out an email questionaire to about 30+ schools around the country and received 22 quality responses. The survey asked whether or not the school offered season tickets to students, costs of tickets(season tickets and individual games), average student attendance per game, whether the facility is on or off campus, and the size of the facility. I also researched the enrollment figures for each school. I have all the information saved into a spreadsheet, and if it would be of any benefit to you, I could e-mail it to you.

Also, John Pacifico of the ticket office was very helpful to me by giving me very good information on specific games. If you haven't already gone to him, he could probably help you.

i agree willie. the questions are definitely pointed towards the student population. i thought the same as i was answering strongly disagree to all those questions about a situation affecting if i go to a game or not. the only reason i have missed a billiken home game since 1988 would be a conflict with one of my own kids activities/sporting events otherwise i would even pay/go to see a game with the billikens vs an "all-star" alumni team made up of taj, bonwich, ed mccauley (even if he is very old), davidnark and scrivener.

Thanks for the input guys. I realize that people on this board are not representative of the student population, but that's why I have those demographic questions (age, how many games have you been to, etc.). I'll use those to filter the results from the die-hard fans out from the typical students' results. This way, I will have something to compare them to and hopefully be able to draw better conclusions. Don't worry, you won't be skewing the results.

By the way Roy, I don't think you would want Scrivener on your all-star team. There was a reason why he was called "The Hacker" in high school. You know you're not very good when you don't get off the bench of team from a high school of about 50 guys. I've spent years practicing to unlearn the bad jumpshot genes that he's given me ;)

Good luck with your survey. I'm probably not your perfect responder since I have had season tickets for so long, but I was happy to answer your questions. You should have asked a questions about whether we'd go to a game if the socreboard operator at the Family Arena was hired by the University - now that's entertainment!

I have always wondered how far people travel to attend home games. I know we have a strong "east side" representation, but what about St. Charles and Jefferson Counties.

i would think questions about marketing incentives, and whether that would entice attendance, i.e. giveaways, discounts, special guests or extra entertainment, would be relavent questions to ask the casual fan as well.

...but it's been a long time since I laced up my Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars. As StLCardinal notes, any game involving my "jump" shot would probably have to come with a Parental Advisory: Do Not Attempt This Yourself.

To borrow (and paraphrase) a bit of wisdom from Whitey Herzog, "basketball's been pretty good to me since I stopped trying to play the game."

On the other hand, it would be fun to share a beer and swap some tales with Easy Ed...even if Taj and bonwich showed up at the same pub. ;-)