Earl Austin Jr was on KMOX tonight

The Wiz

Had the following to say....

Thought the 2 road losses, NM and Dayton, toughened us up....allowed us to come back from a big deficit against Char. The Pit is the loudest venue he has ever been in.

He thinks we are Dancing as of today....but we do need to finish strong...a 4-1 finish and a good showing in the A-10 and we will be in good shape.

He thinks we are looking good for next year...good recruiting class will be able to replace the graduating seniors.

Depending on his health there is good chance RM may come back after next year.

He considers us worthy of being a top 25 team....the non voting basketball experts know about us.

He says he is hopeful we can sellout the Fetz for the final 3 games.

Had the following to say....

Thought the 2 road losses, NM and Dayton, toughened us up....allowed us to come back from a big deficit against Char. The Pit is the loudest venue he has ever been in.

He thinks we are Dancing as of today....but we do need to finish strong...a 4-1 finish and a good showing in the A-10 and we will be in good shape.

He thinks we are looking good for next year...good recruiting class will be able to replace the graduating seniors.

Depending on his health there is good chance RM may come back after next year.

He considers us worthy of being a top 25 team....the non voting basketball experts know about us.

He says he is hopeful we can sellout the Fetz for the final 3 games.

Thanks for the report!! Sounds encouraging.

like our radio guys and find rammer to be the more emphatic one. does anyone have a link or know where to get background on these two gems? i know earl has a web site but is there anything else? why are they our radio team? what's their pedigree. past experiences? just a fact sheet/bio kind of thing.

like our radio guys and find rammer to be the more emphatic one. does anyone have a link or know where to get background on these two gems? i know earl has a web site but is there anything else? why are they our radio team? what's their pedigree. past experiences? just a fact sheet/bio kind of thing.

There is a whole thread dedicated to the greatness of Rammer, look it up...

Ron Jacober asked EAjr if he thought RM woulld come back after his contract ran out.

I agree that health is the key factor in RM coming back. Strictly from appearances, I would say that this is the healthiest RM has been since he got here. He has a good deal, no reason to think he'd leave.

I agree that health is the key factor in RM coming back. Strictly from appearances, I would say that this is the healthiest RM has been since he got here. He has a good deal, no reason to think he'd leave.

He seems upbeat and happy, too. Let's just give the man some chartered flights and keep him that way.

Id be shocked to see RM not come back, minus some miracle run to the title game next year or John Cook interference again. He has worked hard for 4+ years and built a foundation for sustained success. Why not stick around and enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Ron Jacober asked EAjr if he thought RM woulld come back after his contract ran out.

If I recall correctly, Chris May mentioned on-air 2 ro 3 months ago that RM is signed long-term (won't run out next year) and therefore Jacober is either wrong or I sure misunderstood Chris May.

Taj. Multiple books published about local high school sports/basketball. Also, I believe Earl is a former coach of Lindenwood Basketball.

If I recall correctly, Chris May mentioned on-air 2 ro 3 months ago that RM is signed long-term (won't run out next year) and therefore Jacober is either wrong or I sure misunderstood Chris May.

I think you maybe misheard May. It was my understanding that Rick's contract was a six-year deal (we're in year five) and I haven't heard that it's been extended or anything.

As long as health does not become a major factor, I see Rick staying with the team for a while. He has finally built the program up and there is little reason to think this year's success cannot continue into the future. That being said,I could see him trying to push for some of the items (charter flights, etc.) that he originally wanted before signing any extension. This year's success, plus another winning season next year, should give him the leverage he needs to impose those terms.

As long as health does not become a major factor, I see Rick staying with the team for a while. He has finally built the program up and there is little reason to think this year's success cannot continue into the future. That being said,I could see him trying to push for some of the items (charter flights, etc.) that he originally wanted before signing any extension. This year's success, plus another winning season next year, should give him the leverage he needs to impose those terms.

-i agree and to the expected Rick push for some items, the revenue has to be there to cover the expense

I think that if Rick's health stays good he will stay. He has said he wanted to stay as long as the school wants him and Chris May has said he was hired for the long term. The success of this team is because of Rick Majerus. His work here is coming to fruition. Why would he leave now?

I think you maybe misheard May. It was my understanding that Rick's contract was a six-year deal (we're in year five) and I haven't heard that it's been extended or anything.

You're right about the original contract and this being year 5 but what are we to make of Chris May's comments of RM being signed "long term"? undisclosed extension? Gentleman's agreement to stay indefinitely?

Both are St. Louis North County natives.

Ramsey went to Pattonville & Lindenwood. He's been a broadcaster for 28 years in different capacities. He started at Centenary College and then was a broadcaster for Louisiana Tech, where he was the first to call Karl Malone "The Mailman." He came to SLU in 85-86 and has been here ever since. Over the years while not broadcasting Billikens games Ramsey has been employed as a sports anchor for KPLR Ch 11, been a minor league baseball broadcaster along with calling Cardinals games for a few years & has been a fixture in sports talk radio in St. Louis for several different stations. Ramsey has braodcasted everything from Women's handball to lumberjacking over the years.

Earl Austin Jr. starred for McCluer North and Lindenwood in basketball. He is the all time leading scorer at Lindenwood. His uncle is NBA HOFer Wes Unseld. When I was a kid (late 80s, early 90s) Earl produced a local HS basketball newsletter called "Keep Hoop Alive." I was a subscriber and he would deliver them to my house. This was before the internet boom of HS scouts and top 100 lists. Earl was the first person in the St. Louis area to do something like that. EAJr was and still is the foremost authority on STL area HS Hoops both past and present. If EAJr didn't know your name and you played ball in St. Louis you weren't very good. Currently he is the sports editor for a local African American newspaper the St. Louis American and he has authored numerous books about area basketball history and HS sports in general. If you go to a marquee HS contest in STL and the Billikens are in town Earl will be there.

@torch: thanks for the info. This is what I was looking for, just a short, sweet synopsis. So neither are true-blue-SLU as a Hmark or a Joe Wiley might be. Not that such a thing matters bvecause they are passionate enough. Earl not as much but so what, you need balance.

You're right about the original contract and this being year 5 but what are we to make of Chris May's comments of RM being signed "long term"? undisclosed extension? Gentleman's agreement to stay indefinitely?

Could it have just been AD-speak? I didn't hear it, so I'm just guessing.