Hoopsreport.com Bracketology

Franchise_08

The best bracketologists have SLU at about 8 right now. That will get better with more wins.

Yeah, but which bracketologist was the best at picking the brackets and seeding 3 weeks before selection Sunday? Quite a bit can happen in 3 weeks, with teams still having 5 to 8 games to play. So, while it may be possible to forecast which teams make the NCAA tournament with a relative amount of accuracy, at this point in the season, even the best predictions of seedings will have a very large margin of error.

As I mentioned before, 11 seed gets SLU out of the top portion of the bracket. If things line up the 11 seed's road to the final four goes against a 6, 3, 2, 1 in that order. Therefore you don't see the 2 or 1 seed until sweet 16 or elite eight assuming they don't get upset.

I would much rather play a 6 and 3 seed early rather than get the dreaded 8 or 9 spot and have to play a 1 seed in the second round.

The Bracket Matrix ranks bracketologists (there are over 80). Of the bracketologists with 3 or more years experience The Hoops Report is the worst (technically, RPIforecast is the worst but he used a fixed Dance Card formula and really was not trying to do real bracketology--and is no longer doing that). If you looked at any other blogger or asked my three year old you could get better insight (she likes red).

http://bracketprojec...m/rankings.html

What is more interesting about ranking the bracketolgists is how the more well known people and those touting themselves as "insiders" are pretty average (Lunardi is slightly below average but CBS, SI, Fox, Rivals people are only a little above average). Gary Parish does the best of the "major" sites. The best bracketologists have SLU at about 8 right now. That will get better with more wins.

Best bracketologist last year: http://68and16sportscast.tumblr.com/ (SLU is 9 seed)

Best over 3 years: http://bracketville....m/bracketology/ (SLU is 8 seed)

Best over 6 years: http://bracketproject.50webs.com/ (on vacation but had SLU at 9 before road wins)

If you have to worry the best bracket to have SLU at 10 is the Beer Bracket but she has been downplaying SLU for a while (I have no idea why): http://beer.blogs.cb...s/view/13129553

Damnit. The Bills would be an 8/9 seed.

I'd prefer a 7-10 or 6-11.

illinois is a trainwreck. and i agree imo they dont even deserve to be in the tourney. but the fact these bracketologists have them not only in but with a much better seed than us shows the typical bcs bias b.s. that just p!sses me off. that is why i was cheering for a murray state run the table. just to put the pressure on the lunkheads to have to do the right thing or show their arrogant bcs bias.

if we end up with ony 6 or 5 losses and they give us a double digit seed, then someone should go to jail.

illinois is a trainwreck. and i agree imo they dont even deserve to be in the tourney. but the fact these bracketologists have them not only in but with a much better seed than us shows the typical bcs bias b.s. that just p!sses me off. that is why i was cheering for a murray state run the table. just to put the pressure on the lunkheads to have to do the right thing or show their arrogant bcs bias.

if we end up with ony 6 or 5 losses and they give us a double digit seed, then someone should go to jail.

I also wanted Murray State to run the table and was hoping the NCAA would do as predicted, give them a crappy seed. My one worry was that the NCAA would reward them with a 2, 3, or 4 and Murray State (who I thought might be over-rated anyways) gets upset in the first round to a 13+ seed. That would give huge amounts of credence to the pro-BCS arguments and would further justify the lower seeding (or leaving out) of non-BCS teams. They way I see it, the benefits of any type of Butler or VCU run is more than negated by an over-rated mid-major losing early, which I worried might have been the case.

My opinion is the NCAA should be fair and divide the RPI by 4 to get the seeds. That would make SLU a 6 seed. But we know that is unlikely. The problem with being seeded anywhere from 7 to 10 is Round 2, which means a #1 or #2 seed. So 5, 6, 11, or even 12 seeds are better places, the latter, of course, assuming the play-in opening round game is avoided.

This being said, of course I'd take any seed, and especially one that forced the end of Duck Season in COMO. The NCAA won't provide the latter either.

Is it confirmed that SLU cannot be in the Midwest Regional? I've read that at numerous places.

Scott Highmark just said on 590 KFNS that he doubts the NCAA will put Mizzou in the Midwest if Mizzou is a #2 seed because deference would be given to the #1 seed, such as an Ohio State in the Midwest. However, I think if Mizzou is a #1 (I doubt it will be), then Mizzou will be in the Midwest IMO. And frankly, I expect the NCAA will put Mizzou in the Midwest, even as a 2 seed, because of Mizzou's crowd drawing potential at the Edward Jones Dome.

In SLU's recent NCAA history, SLU was a 7 seed in '93 (lost to 10 seed Maryland in Wichita), a 9 seed in '94 (beat #8 Minnesota, lost a close game to #1 Wake Forest in Baltimore), a 10 seed in '98 (beat #7 UMass, but got blown out by #2 Kentucky in Atlanta), and a "9 seed in '00 (lost to #8 Utah, coached by Rick Majerus, 48-45 in Cleveland, when that SLU team was 9-22 at the free throw line).

In this modern era, as in those last 4 NCAA appearances, SLU has never been in the West Regional. Of course, we'd love to have the Billikens making another West Coast trip this season, this time to Portland and the West sub-regional. The other West sub-regional is in Albuquerque. The West Regional is in Phoenix- NCAA Tournament and the Cactus League- that sounds like a good combination to me!

As I mentioned before, 11 seed gets SLU out of the top portion of the bracket. If things line up the 11 seed's road to the final four goes against a 6, 3, 2, 1 in that order. Therefore you don't see the 2 or 1 seed until sweet 16 or elite eight assuming they don't get upset.

I would much rather play a 6 and 3 seed early rather than get the dreaded 8 or 9 spot and have to play a 1 seed in the second round.

Let's hope we're the 6 playing an 11. If we take care of business the rest of the season there is no reason we can't get at least a 6. While 11 might be better than 7-10, let's win our last 5 and get to the finals of the A-10 tournament and hope for that 5 or 6.

-BAB, excluding the dayton games, the ncaa defines the sites for the first two rounds as just that, so teams could play two games in pittsburgh and go to the phoenix regional

-check kfns podcasts for lunardi on with frank last week, friday i think, he asserts that the 's' curve is followed as much as possible so if the top 4 seeds, in order, are syr, uk, ohsu, and mizzou, mizzou is #1 in the west (they may get to play round 1 and 2 in omaha) if mizzou is the 5th rated team they would be in the bracket with the 4th rated team and so on

-lunardi also says that the ncaa tourney plays to over 95% capacity so even to fill the dome they would not send mizzou as a 2 to that region (i call bs on his take on capacity) but this would show how much the tv money means

-all his opinion, who knows what is fact??

Remember, there's always the possibility of movement from the "true" seed in order to allow bracketing rules to be followed. The Bills could be a 6-seed but be moved to the 5- or 7-line in order to avoid some rule.

Yes. For instance BYU can't play on Sunday, so if BYU makes it, BYU is sent where the games are on Thursday and Saturday.

Beggars can't be choosers, but we'd love to see the Billikens sent to Portland, although I doubt that would be the team's first choice due to the longer flight. If that happens, Sonoma Bob, we'll have to make the trip to the Great Northwest!

Yes. For instance BYU can't play on Sunday, so if BYU makes it, BYU is sent where the games are on Thursday and Saturday.

Beggars can't be choosers, but we'd love to see the Billikens sent to Portland, although I doubt that would be the team's first choice due to the longer flight. If that happens, Sonoma Bob, we'll have to make the trip to the Great Northwest!

ABF and BAB, what are the "true" bracketing rules that might move the seed up or down a spot or two?

Also, does BYU really get a Sunday exemption? I never knew that.

Home game for Conklin...a little home cookin' from Mrs. C before the game never hurt!

ABF and BAB, what are the "true" bracketing rules that might move the seed up or down a spot or two?

Also, does BYU really get a Sunday exemption? I never knew that.

I've heard it said on Selection Sunday that the Committee can move a team up or down a spot to balance the brackets. And yes, BYU does have that Sunday exemption.

What I'm trying to confirm is if SLU for sure cannot be assigned to the Midwest Regional. I know it is in St. Louis, but it is at the Edward Jones Dome, not SLU's home court. My recollection is that SLU has only played 3 games at the Dome since it opened: vs. Illinois, K-State, and Mizzou, and none since 1999 ('99-'00 season) vs. Mizzou.

I've heard it said on Selection Sunday that the Committee can move a team up or down a spot to balance the brackets. And yes, BYU does have that Sunday exemption.

What I'm trying to confirm is if SLU for sure cannot be assigned to the Midwest Regional. I know it is in St. Louis, but it is at the Edward Jones Dome, not SLU's home court. My recollection is that SLU has only played 3 games at the Dome since it opened: vs. Illinois, K-State, and Mizzou, and none since 1999 ('99-'00 season) vs. Mizzou.

Because SLU is the host school, they cannot be in that regional, regardless of whether it's their home court or not.

Per Lunardi: Of course his last bracket went against this, but:

Who can't go where? Boston College (East), Georgia Tech (South), Saint Louis (Midwest) and Arizona State (West) cannot be placed in their respective regions if they qualify or are selected for the 2012 NCAA field. Each school is hosting a regional final this season. Ohio State (Columbus), Louisville, New Mexico (Albuquerque), Creighton (Omaha), Oregon (Portland) and Duquesne (Pittsburgh) are subregional hosts and would also be bracketed away from their respective sites.

Per Lunardi: Of course his last bracket went against this, but:

Who can't go where? Boston College (East), Georgia Tech (South), Saint Louis (Midwest) and Arizona State (West) cannot be placed in their respective regions if they qualify or are selected for the 2012 NCAA field. Each school is hosting a regional final this season. Ohio State (Columbus), Louisville, New Mexico (Albuquerque), Creighton (Omaha), Oregon (Portland) and Duquesne (Pittsburgh) are subregional hosts and would also be bracketed away from their respective sites.

Hopefully this will finally be put to rest. This question has popped up way too often in numerous threads the past couple of months.

Because SLU is the host school, they cannot be in that regional, regardless of whether it's their home court or not.

I found the official NCAA rule, and Willie and you are indeed correct. What a bizarre rule that is in that if the MVC was the Midwest Regional host, as opposed to SLU, then SLU would be eligible to play in the Midwest Regional.

So this narrows it down to the East, South, and my personal choice, the West. And of course, the West should prove to be the easiest bracket because there are no #1 or 2 seeds out here, who would have built in home court type advantages. I expect the 1 and 2 seeds Out West to be traveling squads. In my initial attempt at a bracket, I have Michigan State as the 1 seed and Kansas as the 2 seed in the West.

There is the possibility of pod seedings, but I think the NCAA will keep as many West teams as possible in Portland and Albuquerque, especially Portland.

But since we haven't played three times at the Dome, I hear we can be picked for the Saint Louis regional......

Just kidding but can someone tell me what we get out of hosting other than a long road trip to see the Bills?

We are disqualified from playing at the Dome...you have to meet both reqirements to play in the Dome ...less than 4 games at the venue AND not be the host. We are the host so we will play outside of St Lou,