Full USBL draft info

bonwich

http://www.usbl.com

I post this in part because it appears that Kern's parents really intended him to be the next Tiger Woods (although it's spelled yet another way on the SkyHawks' page), and in part to show who the SkyHawks drafted, and in part because of overall draft pick #2, an old "friend" of Billiken fans.

The SkyHawks page

http://www.stlskyhawks.com/newsandupdates.htm

confirms, by the way, that the team plays at FoPoCoCo. (I'd think it would be a massive conflict of interest if Irons tried to get the games played at Vashon, but then again, "conflict of interest" seems to have very little meaning in St. Louis.) The very odd thing about the SkyHawks' page is that it doesn't appear to provide a full roster of who's actually going to play for them.

just weeks ago i heard irons say on the radio he had no idea where nick kern was at and hadnt heard from him for months. now he is the third overall draft pick and the first for irons? i also think it is ironic that kerns is listed as a guard from indian hills juco, but the official website for the team doesnt list him

http://www.ihcc.cc.ia.us/ihcc/Athletics/ba...ball/roster.asp

i hope irons now knows where to contact kern.

anyone else have credibility problems with the above?

Irons was just doing a favor, but hey, I think that they could have waited until the second round.

Not all of these players will play for their teams, half of them probably won't.

None of this is set in stone. I'd think that Travon Bryant would be able to find his way to Europe and make four times the dough.

second round? you honestly think anyone else in the league even had kern on a list? they didnt need to draft him at all.

I think it's a gesture .. him being "drafted" is a statement that Irons appreciates him .. I think that this seems to be a personal matter.

We probably don't know the whole story? Perhaps Kern's family is having troubles? financially?, or with Nick? .. it is a job you know .. perhaps he doesn't have one right now

I agree with you Roy .. he wouldn't be drafted .. I just think it was an attempt to light a fire under him.

Roy, do you agree that it was simply a gesture?

-rat

ps. the USBL draft doesn't make or break this team .. having someone like Justin Love roaming around does!

The skyhawks roster is incomplete because they did not ahve a team last year so nobody is held over and most teams rosters are not set till opening day and change constantly during the season. That in itself is no big deal.

Kern got picked because of legal pressure. DJ, apparently working with the team, has said that a local player with college eligibilty left was suing Irons and the team if they did not allow him to play. Irons picking him was placating Kern and his lawyers. If Kern had any sense he would be at MAC getting an education.

Given that their first game is Friday, one might expect them at least to provide a hint of who's going to be on the court then.

And if any of this talk about a Kern lawsuit has a shred of credibility, the St. Louis school board should be demanding either that Irons resign from all functions at Vashon or that he completely disassociate himself from the USBL and all forms of professional basketball. (I had already thought it a bit odd that Irons had essentially more than an FTE job at Vashon -- basketball coach and principal -- and he had time to take on coaching duties at a semi-pro basketball league. Some folks are just highly efficient and bundles of energy, I suppose.)

If a player with college eligibilty remaining was going to sue some one, or some entity, for the right to play..... you would think he would sue the league and not an individual team or coach. I doubt the St. Louis franchise is under any legal obligation to draft a particular player. Sounds like major b.s. to me!

is like taking a 1 in 10,000 shot that he doesn't get drafted by the NBA, doesn't want to play in the NBDL and hates Europe. I don't know much about this league but I suspect a player's draft status has more to do with the likliehood of him actually playing on the team then his actual talent level.

I agree ... why would they have any obligation to draft him wether he was eligible or not.

I don't get the whole thing even with Clarett ... they ought to be able to say everyone is eligible ... we just choose not to draft anyone that doesn't meet certain requirements. Also talent level is subjective. Many firms have prerequisites to hiring why should any pro league be different.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

The draft is not so important with these leagues. It is more to just get rights to certain players. Guys come and go. Jameer is a guy they would draft because he is very small and may not make it in the NBA. So if he does decide to play minor league ball at any time in his career that team has the rights to him. Who knows, Mateen Cleaves is playing in the NBDL. I guess Jameer could too.

Thought this would show up right under Nashville`s post.Predators and Redwings tied at 2-2!!

Heard a KFNS interview with Irons last night. Some of the players who are on the team include Matt Baniak{what happened to med school] Donnie Dobbs. Johnnie Parker. J P Mitchem{Ladue].Kenn Brown. Kern had not yet signed a contract but Irons felt he would eventually play.

matt hasnt even graduated with his bachelor's yet. i think he will now go against the slu grad rate.

>Thought this would show up right under Nashville`s

>post.

If you look at the thread, your post (No. 18 in the thread) is in the next indentation behind the indentation of Nash's post (No. 12). However, since Kshoe's post was also a reply to No. 12 and was earlier than yours and there were subsequent replies to Kshoe's post, yours (No. 18) is not directly under Nash's.

The basic rule of thumb is to look at the indentation (column), not the position (row). Horizontal, not vertical.