Billiken Club

I feel confident that Brad will get a very good PF. His track record is a good one. Last year as we were all waiting for the signing of a JUCO center I think many of us were dissapointed by the signing of Frericks. We had heard rumors about recruiting some top 10 JUCO centers and then Frericks an unknown is signed. We all know how that turned out. Frericks was a top player, while another guy we recruited from Wabash CC was a 5 minute a game backup for UAB.

>http://www.chipola.edu/extrac/athl/basketb...-2004-stats.htm

>

>11.2 ppg, 53% FG, 7.5 rpg. About 45% of his rebounds came

>on the offensive boards. Heaven knows we need the help

>there.

Thanks. Unfortunately, he appears to be a bad free throw shooter like Tom.

I suspect he'll give us improved rebounding over Chris, which we need badly.

That Foster kid has nice stats. He looks like he'd be a great plan B if Tommie doesn't work out.

57% ft - that would be a deal killer for me. I thought that one of Brad's non-negotiable goals for the long term was to build the program with good shooters. Remember how we inwardly groaned when KB stepped to the line? I don't want any more of that. Still, if he's good enough for Brad, what the hell do I know?

Although I am a big proponent of good FT shooting and can't see how a player able to play D-1 basketball can't make 2 out of 3 it is not a prerequisite to winning basketball. It helps but it is not the end all and be all. Look at UCONN. They had several players shooting below 60% and they won the national championship.

It is no different then when you interview for a job - you either want to be first or last. If first, you can set the standard for everyone else who follows to be measured by. If last, you can re-establish the standard if the ones before did not wow anybody. Comments about Lorenzo's recruiting ability/prowness by others - including myself - have always been made based on his production at SLU. He may be a great recruiter but for whatever the reason, his approach was not a good fit here. He had trouble getting any of the high profile local talent and he did not seem to be able to close the deal on those from out of town. I never doubted that recruiting in the midwest is a challenge compared to recruiting on the east and west coast but it is not impossible. All a coach as to do is figure out where to put his time and focus on those areas rather than trying to lure kids who have no understanding of or attachment to the midwest. That approach might have worked for him before because you can sell the sun and beach pretty easy but when you do not have that on your side then you really have to sell yourelf and the program. Apparently, Lorenzo was having difficulty making that transition. Just my observation and opinion.

as i have said many times before, actually lorenzo was too good for slu. he was able to get too deep on top recruits and thus ignored the b list that woulda shoulda come here. then when the top dogs had us second at the wire, only bones to pick from. had he been a little less successful getting to the finish line, maybe he grabs a couple of b list guys that work out better than the bones.

let's just leave the lorenzo past just that. past.