Emmanuel Tselentakis

WVBilliken

http://heardthisblog.com/?p=481

http://heardthisblog.com/?p=589

Taj. Reread the above articles from time ET committed. He played on both the Green U16 and U18 teams. He played, scored and contributed and did not sit the bench. IMO, this constitutes a ton of international experience.

Also, guys who make their country's national teams are usually "high profile" and "top players". Do you not agree?

Does this mean that ET will be great? A10 player of the year? Of course not. Then again, using the reaction of this board to judge a kid from Greece seems patently unfair. Except for Skip, the rest of the us have limited to no knowledge of the Greek amateur athletics.

As to redshirts in general, sure there is a reason why coaches redshirt kids. Usually, kids don't redshirt if their coach thinks they can have an immediate impact. At the same time, redshirting a kid is NOT an indictment of the kid or a sign that he will be a bust. Kids from foreign country, who might also have a language problem, might do better to take a year to adjust to American culture, life in the States and college life in general. Guess you don't agree.

Taj. Reread the above articles from time ET committed. He played on both the Green U16 and U18 teams. He played, scored and contributed and did not sit the bench. IMO, this constitutes a ton of international experience.

Also, guys who make their country's national teams are usually "high profile" and "top players". Do you not agree?

Does this mean that ET will be great? A10 player of the year? Of course not. Then again, using the reaction of this board to judge a kid from Greece seems patently unfair. Except for Skip, the rest of the us have limited to no knowledge of the Greek amateur athletics.

As to redshirts in general, sure there is a reason why coaches redshirt kids. Usually, kids don't redshirt if their coach thinks they can have an immediate impact. At the same time, redshirting a kid is NOT an indictment of the kid or a sign that he will be a bust. Kids from foreign country, who might also have a language problem, might do better to take a year to adjust to American culture, life in the States and college life in general. Guess you don't agree.

I don't think this actually applies in ET's case. He has no issues with the English language. I also believe he attended prep school here in the States (New Jersey, perhaps?) and from what I remember, I think he has dual citizenship in Greece and the US. He spoke in some depth about it at one of the open practices when RM had the players speak a bit about themselves. Not necessarily disagreeing with your statements in a general sense, but just giving you a little more background.

I agree we need to worry about now and win now. But, I did bring up the inside presence thing for next year. It scares the crap out of me. We saw BC play for a few years and while we never knew he would step us this big, we did see flashes from him in the past. If somebody would look through prior years stats, I'd love to see Conklin's highest scoring games and in what year they came. My point is that he had some good games and showed ability. We also knew he never played 100% healthy and we knew he was a tough kid with heart.

We have nothing to go on for next year. We have seen very little from RL on the inside. The little we saw showed some improvement from last year, but it is so far from where it would need to be to replace Conklin. CE will never be that guy IMO - I like his role on the team this year a lot and would hate to expect more from him in a different role.

In regards to JM - I don't see it next year. I trust in RM that by his junior or senior year, he will be a good player. I think RM will develop him. But, if he can't steal the little time from CR this year, than my expectations from him next year are very low.

Well, like many of you said, we're worry about that later.

In the meantime, I am having a blast this year. We all expected big things, but this is Billiken basketball and you never know. We are 16-5 with 9 more conference games left and 5 of them as home games.

The guy speaks English as well as I do so the ESL reasoning would not stand.

RM didn't think he was ready to contribute this year so saved him a year of eligibility.

I was being sarcastic. Hell, I have no more clue than anyone else regarding whether he'll be good or not. I do know that on Crete in the late 80's if you could mix and scratch as a DJ you could drink and eat for free at any club in Heraklion. I didn't watch or see any athletes, I was too drunk to have any clue.

I also wouldn't listen to what a walk-on says. Some 4 star recruits suck, and some 2 star recruits are great. I'm not sure why we are worried about it though when the only guard we are losing is Kyle please don't make me shoot Cassity.

@pistol: I don't have to re-read the articles; the proof is in the pudding. If you can read an article and draw conlcusions on performance because of what it says, good for you but it can also work the other way. I've read many things, about f*ckers from Minnesota (Clarke), to guys who averaged 36 a game in Florida high school (Brown), to the impact recuit of the year in CUSA play (Caswell), to JUCO players of the year (Manuel, Tadysak, & Ivester), to the first coming (Gray & Douglas), all the a way to the secon dcoming (Hughes). Of that only Hughes was spot on.

I've also seen our redshirts in this program be questionable to say the least .... Daniel Lisch, Bryce Husak, Jake Barnett, Justin Johnson and so on. Jusat color me skeptical in regards to ET.

If ..... and the IF should be large type .. IF ET is as good as a player has to be to represent his country (and I don't really know I'm just extrapolating here) I would think he would be more represnetative of a Manu Ginolbi type and not only be on the team but play right away. I mean, at least play at podunk Saint Louis University. Maybe not Uconn or Syracuse (althoguh that Jewish kid Doron did). I am guessing I am wrong on that account.

And I'm not arguing with you pistol, just saying ........

@pistol: I don't have to re-read the articles; the proof is in the pudding. If you can read an article and draw conlcusions on performance because of what it says, good for you but it can also work the other way. I've read many things, about f*ckers from Minnesota (Clarke), to guys who averaged 36 a game in Florida high school (Brown), to the impact recuit of the year in CUSA play (Caswell), to JUCO players of the year (Manuel, Tadysak, & Ivester), to the first coming (Gray & Douglas), all the a way to the secon dcoming (Hughes). Of that only Hughes was spot on.

I've also seen our redshirts in this program be questionable to say the least .... Daniel Lisch, Bryce Husak, Jake Barnett, Justin Johnson and so on. Jusat color me skeptical in regards to ET.

If ..... and the IF should be large type .. IF ET is as good as a player has to be to represent his country (and I don't really know I'm just extrapolating here) I would think he would be more represnetative of a Manu Ginolbi type and not only be on the team but play right away. I mean, at least play at podunk Saint Louis University. Maybe not Uconn or Syracuse (althoguh that Jewish kid Doron did). I am guessing I am wrong on that account.

No, you're not arguing with me. I haven't posted in this thread until right now.

I was being sarcastic. Hell, I have no more clue than anyone else regarding whether he'll be good or not. I do know that on Crete in the late 80's if you could mix and scratch as a DJ you could drink and eat for free at any club in Heraklion. I didn't watch or see any athletes, I was too drunk to have any clue.

Damn, I bet you and Stamos were tearing it up. You lucky bastard.

I think you mean Clock_Tower there, Taj.

I think you mean Clock_Tower there, Taj.

lot of people get them mixed up and to be honest i have never seen the two of them at the same time.

3Bill.

Rampant speculation about young kids and their future is simply irresponsible. Speculate and/or guess if ET will play, will score, will start - or even be a bust. At the end of the season, some even question or speculate if a kid will want to come back or if RM will want a kid to come back. Why "guess" now in the middle of the season in which the kid is redshirting and doing everything expected of him. And to say that a high profile kid with a ton of international experience, who was/is one of the top players from his country, is another Daniel Lisch and might not be allowed to come back next year is just not fair.

Rampant speculation about young kids and their future is simply irresponsible. Speculate and/or guess if ET will play, will score, will start - or even be a bust. At the end of the season, some even question or speculate if a kid will want to come back or if RM will want a kid to come back. Why "guess" now in the middle of the season in which the kid is redshirting and doing everything expected of him. And to say that a high profile kid with a ton of international experience, who was/is one of the top players from his country, is another Daniel Lisch and might not be allowed to come back next year is just not fair.

Taj. It was my comments and not Pistol's.

For clarity, I quoted my comments. As you can see, I did not predict greatness for ET. Like you, I am a little suspect having been disappointed by not only CS and JB but also by RM's inability to find a shooter to replace KL. If ET is such an impact player, he probably would not be redshirted this year. At the same, comparisons to Daniel Lisch are totally unfair. Maybe ET will turn out like CS did. Then again, maybe he will turn out to be the next KL. Even so, I find it irresponsible to publicly spread baseless rumors about youngsters. At a minimum, ET certainly has the credentials to merit a D1 scholarship to SLU.

@pistol/clock: what can I say, age-induced brain fart. As for your comment on speculation about young kids and their futures ---- whilel morally I'm with you, reality is far from that stance. And social media outlets like this one accentuate, cater and amplify that. If you don't believe me, what's today? National signing day on ESPN! A whole day devoted to the next great 17-year-old thing and what collegiaet ebaseball cap he's going to put on and announce what college he's going to. I've known a lot of 17-year-old kids, some with "great" talents who did and did not do this and while everyone might have believed they were the next Jordan, Dorsett, or Halladay, they were not.

I've come to the conclusion that the first thing I'd mentor a kid with this type of talent to do is not read the papers, not read the talk boards, and certainly not open general public social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter. You will be saadly disappointed, ridiculed, dissected, etc. But I'd likely be ignored all the same.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious to know what will happen with Tselentakis. Any word on whether he's expected to be part of the program next year?

Also, with Cory's development over the last six weeks, and Rob showing the beginnings of a post game, are we as worried about who will replace Conk as we were before?

I'm curious to know what will happen with Tselentakis. Any word on whether he's expected to be part of the program next year?

Also, with Cory's development over the last six weeks, and Rob showing the beginnings of a post game, are we as worried about who will replace Conk as we were before?

Not sure yet. Tough to lose one of your best players, but it opens up opportunities for others to shine.