Gruehls has passed away

Sniper

http://ncaabbs.com/s....php?tid=544361

Some of you guys mentioned him when I came here to talk some smack. I know he hasn't been here since your teams parted conferences, but he seemed to have left an impression.

He was 56.

For those that he impressed, I wanted to give a heads up. As a Xavier fan I have to say though he was a rival fan he was funny as ###### and quick and cutting with the wit.

Just the heads up on that. RIP Gruehls.

http://ncaabbs.com/s....php?tid=544361

Some of you guys mentioned him when I came here to talk some smack. I know he hasn't been here since your teams parted conferences, but he seemed to have left and impression.

He was 56.

For those that he impressed, I wanted to give a heads up. As a Xavier fan I have to say though he was a rival fan he was funny as ###### and quick and cutting with the wit.

Just the heads up on that. RIP Gruehls.

Thanks for the update. He was fun to have around when we shared the same conference. He was on this board pretty frequently. I'm sorry to hear the news. He was way too young.

Sh!t. Sh!tSh!tSh!tSh!tSh!tSh!tSh!tSh!tSh!tSh!tSh!tSh!t!

I went looking for him when the whole Cincy/Xavier thing was happening and was unable to find him listed in his law firm. This is horrible.

If I recall correctly, a few of you also had the pleasure of meeting the late Greg Ruehlmann in person. He was witty, tremendously smart -- and a wonderful host once when I was visiting a friend in Cincinnati. He was viciously funny on this board, in the best sense of that description, and it never seemed to hurt all that much because his teeth were so smarl.

And he was a SLU dad, at least for a bit: His son started at SLU before transferring to Notre Dame.

I'm pretty devastated by this news and ache for his family.

Wow.

Never met him, but had a few exchanges with him back in the old CUSA days. They weren't necessarily friendly; admittedly I let my hatred of all things UC get the best of me and he put me in my place with a few well-worded responses. While I was initially bitter about it, I eventually grew to respect him and found him to be a very solid individual.

Condolences to anyone who did have the pleasure of knowing him.

gruehls was the greatest rival poster to ever appear at billikens.com. the man had a tremendous wit. i also know he took care of my friend, Naticat, a couple of times on his visits to cincy to see the bearcats. i am certain, had the timing worked, he would have hosted me or any other billiken fan on a trip to cincy. rip Greg.

Over the life of this board and its predecessor board, gruehls was the best "opponent" to come calling. I too met him at a CUSA tourney in Cincinnati and echo roy's sentiments. He, UCTom and NatiCat were some of the early rivals and always acted respectful even when in total disagreement with th epopulace on here. There never seemed to be any real "trash" in that early trash talking. They were always class acts and gruehls was the classiest. Just a shame.

Shocked to hear this. RIP Gruehls. When I moved to Charleston and couldn't find cans of Skyline in the stores here, Gruehls sent me a box of emergency rations. I in turn sent him some kind of low country hot sauce he liked. The older guys on here will recall we had many fun exchanges w/ Greg. As someone mentioned above, if all opponent posters were as classy and funny as Gruehls they'd be welcome to post here anytime. You just couldn't pass up a post by the infamous Gruehls. Sympathy wishes to his family. The quote on the Billiken T is :" You eat 3 or more meals of Gruehls a day."

RIP Gruels.

Even Kyle Mac felt obligated to include him in his comments today

I'm glad to have it done and out of the way," McClellan said in Washington D.C. as the team visited the White House. "That whole process is kind of grueling and you're glad when it's over."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cards-mcclellan-avoid-arbitration/article_1a87bf8a-413b-11e1-8aaa-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1jp7NTEAX

Mostly a long time reader but remember gruehls as the best poster from another school and enjoyed his wit which was always presented in a positive way even though he was a fan of another school--brings to mind what a great situation we had with Conference USA--If that was still our conference Chaifetz would be sold out for every conference game no matter what our record was--May GRUEHLS R.I.P.

Seriously? His dad was the mayor? Did any of you who knew him know that?

nope,knew he was an ex northwestern football player. i think naticat told me that. but no idea he was city elite.

right after naticat got married and had moved to st louis, gruehls invited him and his bride to come to cincy for a bearcats game and took care of them. tickets, put em up at his house, etc.

nope,knew he was an ex northwestern football player. i think naticat told me that. but no idea he was city elite.

right after naticat got married and had moved to st louis, gruehls invited him and his bride to come to cincy for a bearcats game and took care of them. tickets, put em up at his house, etc.

The internet is awesome.

I have to agree that Gruehls never talked trash. He came to the board to support his team in a good-natured way. It was as if he could say something in support of the Bearcats, even in support of Huggins, and then step back with a twinkle in his eye, as if to say "OK--come back at me!" He made you feel like he was aware of UC's off-court issues and acknowledged them in his own way, but still needled us about on-court success. He was a great message board buddy.

I didn't realize he was a St. X grad (there are a few on this board, right?). At 56, he was just a year or two behind my father-in-law. I'll have to ask if he knew him.

Class of 05 myself. From the stories you guys have told about him, Gruehls seems like a down-to-earth, genuinely nice guy. RIP.