GDT: Temple

JettFlight5

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU couldn't stop Wyatt and Moore, the 6'4" Temple wings.

Those guys were uncanny, guard them close and they beat you with dribble drive penetration. Lay off and Wyatt nails the 3.

SLU's shorter guards simply could not guard the Temple guards. When was the last time you saw a team with 3 star 6'4" guards playing at the same time?

I wondered during the game again about the forbidden 4 letter word- zone. But the way Wyatt nailed those 3's, query if a zone would have been shredded. Still, at least a zone puts a big in front of the dribble drive penetration.

It's never good to lose a conference game at home. But Temple is a very good team. Remember this Temple team beat Duke.

This loss means that SLU will have to get an extra road win. Otherwise and regrettably, SLU=NIT. And we don't want that this year. This needs to be an NCAA season for SLU.

The season is still young. All is not lost. Let's hope the team can rebound and win at Charlotte on Saturday.

Note that the Bonnies beat Dayton in Olean tonight. The A-10 is wide open with a number of good teams.

I fear our SLU team peaked too early this year.

Hopefully, the team will catch a second wind.

Temple has fabulous athletes. I'm afraid the better team won tonight.

This game reminded me of valiant SLU efforts against old rivals like Louisville, efforts that fell short.

Temple is good. Valiant effort, I'm not going that far.

I fear our SLU team peaked too early this year.

Hopefully, the team will catch a second wind.

Temple has fabulous athletes. I'm afraid the better team won tonight.

This game reminded me of valiant SLU efforts against old rivals like Louisville, efforts that fell short.

Slu could always slow teams to a crawl in the past and keep it close. This team can't play that kind of defense and lacks the offense to run and gun.......so basically we're screwed

I know that Rick doesn't like it but wouldn't this have been a game to try some sort of zone or other "junk defense" just to flummox the Owls momentarily? SOMETHING! ANYTHING?

I had similar thoughts during this one- ZONE.

However, Fernandez and Wyatt can both shoot the 3, so query if a zone would have worked.

I'm afraid that sometimes we have to tip our caps to the opponent. Tonight Temple was able to answer every SLU run.

Of course, I can always find some fault with the A-10 zebras. Loe was clearly fouled in the first half on that 3 point shot. Had the foul been called and he hit all 3 FT's, the whole game at crunch time changes. SLU may well have been ahead in this game late. We will never know.

We have a good team, but our OOC schedule was not what we thought and we allowed ourselves to be misled. The tournament is going to be VERY tough to make if the first three games are the true indication of the type of team we have. It will take winning the A10 conference, obviously. Oh well, so much for sell out crowds, top 25 rankings, media coverage, etc. It was fun while it lasted. We will still win 20+ games and have some fun, but not what we expected.

As an aside, and I know many will not agree, I think that not having a dominant big man (read "Willie Reed") is what really hurts us. With Willie, we would not have to do so much from outside and so much inside by undersized guys. KM is good, but we have a lot of good guards. Those large Temple guards are more of a problem because we are more dependent on getting scoring from our guards without the dominant inside option. If only Evans was a couple inches taller. And I am a big Conklin fan, but when he is up against stronger competition he really struggles (still plays his heart out).